New to Mercedes....for 5 days! Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DickyRobbo44

Car
CLS 320
Hello all,

New owner of a CLS. Absolutely love(d) it. I had owned it for 3 days before getting rear end whilst stationary, shunted into the car in front at about 50mph!! I have been offered a fair amount by the insurance and I will look to get another as soon as possible.

My question is, it's CAT C and will cost £1300 to get back. Is it worth it? Love the AMG III alloys and the have only just been refurbished and didn't get damaged in the incident. I cant just buy them back unfortunately. Should I but the car back, strip for parts and scrap the rest or will it be a lot of effort to get my money back?

Gutted about the car, full dealer history from new and only 80,000 miles. What do you guys think?

HIy5uHp.jpg

8zU6Oor.jpg

Wow. That's some hit. Did you escape unscathed?

Re the wheels I've just been through this.

Properly refurbed 18's with good tyres seem to go for £800+

If you were to buy them separately you could easily be looking at £1000, assuming you went for a premium brand.

If they're 19's you can add 10% to those numbers.

And of course you have no idea if the wheels aren't cracked or buckled which can add more cost. Or if they've been (badly) smart repaired which will soon show up and cosy you more ££'s

Then you could sell the interior, engine and box (unless of course the shunt has buggered up the latter)

But even so, surely you'd have another £300 of stuff to sell and you'd also get the weigh in.

Annoy your neighbours. Break it on the drive :)

Wow did the gagged guy in the boot get out ok??

If you can be bothered breaking a car could be worth it. Interior, engine, gear box, electronics, media etc has all got to be worth more than the purchase price. Call a breaker and see if they want it?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wasnt to bad, have just been diagnosed with whiplash though which I hate saying because everybody seems to claim these days but I feel like I'm lying when its the truth haha.

Insurance said if I fitted standard wheels I could take the wheels off, but that would have cost a fair bit as it is. Managed to wrangle £500 more than what I paid for it a week ago so cant be too upset, just got to find one in as good a shape now!

I dont have the time or energy to be taking parts off it, I'm sure I could have made some money but just whinging about it he offered me and extra £300. Any idea what will happen to the wheels now? Will the car be broken for parts?

Thankfully, you are OK and £500 up on the deal.

Walk away and shop around with cash. Lots of wheels on eBay.

Take the money, I would, too much hassle breaking for spares, with the extra £500 you may find a newer one with less mileage. Quit while you're ahead and good luck.

Ok add this into the mixer, £1300 to buy the car back, a salvage company have offerd me £900 for the car minus the wheels. Do you think thats worthwhile? I'am watching a det on ebay the same that have just been listed to see how they sell, just if the wheels aren't worth more than £400-£500 its probably not worth it.

19'' AMG VI 5 Spoke Alloys Wheels Set S Class,CL Class c216,w221 | eBay

Ok add this into the mixer, £1300 to buy the car back, a salvage company have offerd me £900 for the car minus the wheels. Do you think thats worthwhile? I'am watching a det on ebay the same that have just been listed to see how they sell, just if the wheels aren't worth more than £400-£500 its probably not worth it.

19'' AMG VI 5 Spoke Alloys Wheels Set S Class,CL Class c216,w221 | eBay

£400 for a set of AMG alloys with good tyres and good condition seems good? I'd do it

Took a while but I'm sorted. Salvage company offered me £1300 for the car, exactly the price I need to pay for it. I'm going to buy my car back, buy a new CLS (eyeing one up tomorrow), swap the wheels over then move my old car on. Basically a free upgrade.

Took a while but I'm sorted. Salvage company offered me £1300 for the car, exactly the price I need to pay for it. I'm going to buy my car back, buy a new CLS (eyeing one up tomorrow), swap the wheels over then move my old car on. Basically a free upgrade.

Maybe wait till you get the new one before sending off the old one to salvage so you can swap over any broken electrical/interior trim pieces etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom