New to Merc's and after some advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony1044

Hi everyone,

Bit of background if I may. I've been an owner/driver of Fords since I passed my test.

Always had the mindset that they were cheap as chips, cheap to run and cheap to repair.

Failed to really notice how, as I moved to ever newer models I was spending more on all of the above until my last one - a 2.5l V6 which was returning p!ss poor mpg on motorway runs (99% of my journeys are long distance motorway) and was costing a bloody fortune to repair when anything went wrong...which was starting to be a more and more common thing on it. Actually I have a tail to tell about an insurance repairer that will resonate with many of you on here from what I've seen in other postings, but I'll post about that later...

So I was passing a local garage that sells second hand motors at very reasonable prices, with great service (we bought my wife an Astra soft top earlier this year) and a fair way of doing business and a BMW caught my eye.

However when I actually made time to go and look, I walked past a 52 plate C180K with 2 owners and 62k on the clock.

Granted it was 11 months older than my Mondeo but it was also lower mileage and looked awesome (Silver).

It's also and auto - I tore my cruciate ligament and damaged the tendons in my left knee a few years ago and the op wasn't exactly 100% successful, so traffic jams caused me a lot of discomfort.

Took it out for a test run and got the whole "oh yeah" feeling from it.

Anyway, we did the deal, and I walked away with what I consider to be a peach of a car - I really do enjoy driving it.

There are a couple of little niggles with it, as you always find when you buy second hand, but going on how they sorted my wife's out when she bought it I'm not expecting too much trouble with them (brake wear warning has come on, the CD autochanger doesn't work, the Aircon doesn't blow cold oh and their driver who took it for it's MOT lost one of the keys, which he personally is going to have to replace).

Anyway, sorry for the rather long background because my question is simple - which I'm sure you'll all be grateful for - can anyone recommend an Independent repairer in or around Mansfield, North Notts?

I don't mind travelling a bit if I have to, but I'd prefer them to be fairly close if possible.

Cheers all.

Tony.
PS the garage if anyone is interested, is Parkway Motors in Edwinstoe (hope you don't mind the plug). I'll update this when I've spoken to them about the niggles :)

Edit: I also meant to ask how I determine the W number for it? I notice you all use Wxxx to differentiate models. And is it possible to have folding electric door mirrors retrofitted, and if so what sort of cost would I be looking at?

Ta.

T.

Last edited:
Welcome - enjoy your first MB. :rock:

Hi and Welcome - W203 by the way.

Key will be about £150 quid, so the guy who lost it must be feeling a bit sick if he's got to pay for it personally!

Welcome. I was new to MB not so long ago, your 1st one does put a smile on your face.

Ask if the automatic transmission fluid was changed, if not you should do that ASAP :)

Hi Tony, I was like you always had ford that was until 11 years ago I bought my first Mercedes I would never buy anything else now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom