New to the 202, anyone help me with how few things work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackpool202

Hi all, my first MB and as super as the car is i didnt get any manuals with it when i got it so theres a few things im unsure of. Its a 98 2ltr auto 202 and i cant work out how the cruise control works, if anyone knows and can briefly explain that would be excellent, and the other thing i cant work out is on the air con, the light on the button, is the air con off when the light is on or is the air con on when the light is on. First thing that comnes to my mind is that the air con is on with the light but from what i can tell it feels like its colder when the lights out and also the revs seem to sound normal.
thanks in advance for any help, its very much appreciated

Ok

CC

up = engage (or increase if already engaged)
down = decrease
away = disengage
forward = resume

press end of stalk = switch to limiter mode (light on stalk comes on) - this mode stops you going above the set speed (although if you hit the kickdown switch it will, just in case of emergency).

And light on = air con off (also light goes off whatever if dial is in the * or 0 position).

N.B Anyone know what the * position is - doesn't get a mention in the manual.

have you tried referring to your handbook? Ok the EC button stands for economy and when the light is on, it is in economy mode and the air con is not on, but when it is off as you mentioned the air is colder because it is working.

With the cruise control, if you get up to the speed you want to cruise at and then flick the lever up and hold it for a second and it will engage! after that you can flick the lever up to increase speed, down to reduce speed, backwards (away from you) to dis-engage cruise control and finally towards you to re-engage it!

I thinks thats about right...

Stevesey you got there before me!

i did say i dont have the handbook/manuals momo, thats brilliant info everyone thankyou soso much for your help, ill give it a go when im next out and about. i had a feeling the ac was off when light was on, although in most cars thats a odd way of going about things lol, thanks again all

This might help - if you are quick (look in better condition than mine).

They often pop up on ebay - so try the occasional search for "Mercedes Handbook" and you might get some (remember it's the facelift ones with the pic of the C car on it you'll need - covers all models).

Lol. I started typing up a reply and had to take a phone call which took a few mins and the you swooped straight in....:devil:

I was about to go out so typing very quickly.

However I realise I have been very rude in my haste and not said Welcome to blackpool - but I guess he/she is out "crusing" and "chillin" now.;)

Ok

CC

up = engage (or increase if already engaged)
down = decrease
away = disengage
forward = resume

press end of stalk = switch to limiter mode (light on stalk comes on) - this mode stops you going above the set speed (although if you hit the kickdown switch it will, just in case of emergency).

Also be aware that cruise does not work below 30mph (I think), and welcome to MBClub.:)

I think the * position is for rapid defrost.

Mine does!

Really, on my old 202, I am 99% sure that was the case, although I have to admit to doubting myself now.:eek: :D

The reason I remember is that when I sold it, the AA inspector who was doing a report on it said that the cruise doesn't work, and I showed him that it did above a certain speed. I also showed him the handbook where it talked about it. Mine was a 96 C230.:confused:

Really, on my old 202, I am 99% sure that was the case, although I have to admit to doubting myself now.:eek: :D

The reason I remember is that when I sold it, the AA inspector who was doing a report on it said that the cruise doesn't work, and I showed him that it did above a certain speed. I also showed him the handbook where it talked about it. Mine was a 96 C230.:confused:

Cruise would not activate at a speed lower than 30 km/h or so (I believe 30 mph is a bit high). Even on the W221 with distronic plus where the cruise brings the car to standstill, you cannot activate cruise at low speed. This is from the W221 on-line manual:
Use cruise control only if road and traffic conditions make it appropriate to maintain a steady speed for a prolonged period. You can store any road speed above 30 km/h.

Ive often engaged mine in slow moving traffic 10-15Mph :confused:

I have the later speedtronic version of the CC which differs from the early W202, no idea why you cant with Distronic though?

It's a safety thing.

When you engage CC the throttle opening is proportional to the difference betwen current speed and target speed. If you're creeping in a queue of slow moving traffic, engage the CC without this feature, and the target speed is 70mph the CC would floor the throttle, which may not be a good idea.

This needs a bit of intelligence from the cruise control system, perhaps older models do not have it? :confused: At least from W210 onwards cruise would not work from very low speed.

The owner's manual from my now deceased 1996 W202 did make mention of the fact that the CC would not engage below 40kph (about 26mph) and indeed my car behaved just like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom