New To The Forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom220SC

Car
VX220 Supercharged / BMW 335D
Good Afternoon All,

First of all apologies for the essay !

I am potentially going to be in the market for a W204 C63 AMG in the coming months and this will be a big move for me due to what it will be replacing which is why I thought this may be the best place for some advise.

My recent car history has been a line of BMW's most recently a Stage 2 BMW M140i, Stage 2 BMW F10 M5 & now Stage 1 E91 335D. As you can see I am a big bmw fan (Sorry !!!) And these cars have been run daily when owned with my weekend car being a heavily modified Supercharged Vauxhall VX220 I have owned for some 10 years now.

The C63 is a car I have always wanted, it was an itch I was close to scratching just before I purchased my previous F10 M5 which my brother now owns.

I am now in a position where I rarely do track days just with not having the time due to a young family, my highlight of each year in this respect is a trip to the Nurgurgring which I love but I am using my VX220 less each year (Its done 200 miles in the last 12 months) and I am now looking to either replace with a C63 as a weekend car that I can get in and use more or potentially go to one car and also sell my daily 335d.

The C63 Wagon is the one I have always wanted but would not make sense to have this and the E91 as I do not need two estates.

My dilemma is this, do I keep the 335d as my daily and add a C63 AMG Coupe as the weekend car in the garage or go to one car and get the one I’ve always wanted ?! I do around 25 - 50 miles a day commute give or take (When I may have meetings etc) so not overly concerned about fuel costs.

I am looking to spend around £24k if I go to one car. I’d love a 507 but it is out of my price range so would hope to find a Facelift PP car.

Any owner advise would be great, keen to hear what other cars people have moved to a C63 from and how they have found it.

Thanks
Tom

Welcome to the forum Tom.
£24k would get you into a 2014 E63 5.5 Biturbo too
Just sayin';)

Thanks for the reply mate, oh really ! That’s interesting as I thought the E63 shared the same platform ? Assuming this is a later model ?

Thanks for the reply mate, oh really ! That’s interesting as I thought the E63 shared the same platform ? Assuming this is a later model ?
Welcome to MBClub Tom.

The E63 is a different platform and in 2014 guise it has a different engine too. A quick summary which will mean little if you’re new to Mercedes but which will make more sense in time:

Previous generation 204-series C63 is M156 6.2 litre N/A (both pre and post facelift)
Current generation 205-series C63 is M177 4.0 biturbo (both pre and post facelift)

Previous generation 212-series E63 is M156 6.2 litre N/A (pre facelift) or M157 5.5 biturbo (post facelift)
Current generation 213-series E63 is M177 4.0 biturbo (both pre and post facelift)

With your budget you could buy a nice example of either the 204-series C63 or 212-series E63. With an increased budget then some 205-series C63 may be an option.

Although very similar - with the same engine code - the W177 4.0 biturbo engine is different in the E63 and C63, especially the turbos.

Personally I would want to drive the car I want to drive, all of the time, especially if we’re talking 4/5 seat cars for both business and pleasure, as they will both be similarly practical and similarly quick. On that basis I would sell both cars and buy the car you really want, whatever that might be.

Last edited:
Welcome, Tom. :) 👍

Thank you for all of the replies, Bobby Dazzler - I really appreciate all of the information so thank you for sending over. It seems like a good community on here already.

I have been going through plenty of buyers guides and they seem pretty bulletproof in particular the later models (C63 W204 I mean) I would hopefully be aiming for a PP just for some of the extra bits although I would not rule out other nice examples of course.

I have not found much in terms of oil consumption, is this something someone could shed some light on ? My previous F10 M5 used to use around 1 Litre in 600 - 1k miles which started to become a bit of a pain with it being a daily but not the end of the world. Fuel consumption I rarely got over 15 - 20mpg on my short commute which is always sitting in traffic for long periods as well so guessing I will get much less in the C63 again not the end of the world.

I am going into this with my eyes open and fully expecting super car running costs but going down to one car will mean I have the budget to put money aside each month for general maintenance etc to make sure I keep the car in the best condition mechanically and cosmetically as this will be a keeper for sure.

Thank you for all of the replies, Bobby Dazzler - I really appreciate all of the information so thank you for sending over. It seems like a good community on here already.

I have been going through plenty of buyers guides and they seem pretty bulletproof in particular the later models (C63 W204 I mean) I would hopefully be aiming for a PP just for some of the extra bits although I would not rule out other nice examples of course.

I have not found much in terms of oil consumption, is this something someone could shed some light on ? My previous F10 M5 used to use around 1 Litre in 600 - 1k miles which started to become a bit of a pain with it being a daily but not the end of the world. Fuel consumption I rarely got over 15 - 20mpg on my short commute which is always sitting in traffic for long periods as well so guessing I will get much less in the C63 again not the end of the world.

I am going into this with my eyes open and fully expecting super car running costs but going down to one car will mean I have the budget to put money aside each month for general maintenance etc to make sure I keep the car in the best condition mechanically and cosmetically as this will be a keeper for sure.

I was under the impression that the m156 engine was bullet proof but wasn’t the case in my experience. My 2013 w204 had the air con condenser and related components replaced (apparently a common fault) had power steering pump replaced, One camshaft and actuator replaced (can be common) and It also had a gasket replaced somewhere as there was signs of oil. If all that which apparently came to around £5k wasn’t resolved through warranty I would have handed the car back.

as long as you go for a well looked after and maintained w204 you should be pretty safe though and once you find the right one you’ll fall in love with it. I’ve had mine for over a year now and I do consider the idea of owning a biturbo E63 the 5.5 one, only for the power you can get out of them.

I probably go through a litre of oil every 1.5k miles which I think differs from how much I drive it like I stole it, some w204s aren’t as thirsty with oil.

I was under the impression that the m156 engine was bullet proof but wasn’t the case in my experience. My 2013 w204 had the air con condenser and related components replaced (apparently a common fault) had power steering pump replaced, One camshaft and actuator replaced (can be common) and It also had a gasket replaced somewhere as there was signs of oil. If all that which apparently came to around £5k wasn’t resolved through warranty I would have handed the car back.

as long as you go for a well looked after and maintained w204 you should be pretty safe though and once you find the right one you’ll fall in love with it. I’ve had mine for over a year now and I do consider the idea of owning a biturbo E63 the 5.5 one, only for the power you can get out of them.

I probably go through a litre of oil every 1.5k miles which I think differs from how much I drive it like I stole it, some w204s aren’t as thirsty with oil.

Hi Mickee,

Thanks for the input, sounds like you had a lucky escape there ! I had similar expense on my F10 M5 with new turbos and all sorts replaced, although it never let me down just started showing signs of things on there way out. Since AMGeed / Bobby Dazzlers posts I have been looking at the 5.5 E63 myself as I am not familiar with them, they seem like a great option I just love the look of the W204 and not overly concerned about performance as this will tick so many boxes, the sound alone is enough to sway me and I love the look of the wagon. I believe a stage 1 to release some of the de tuned power is trouble free and not a big expense so imagine that would be ample performance should I need any more.

What car did you move from ?

Hi Mickee,

Thanks for the input, sounds like you had a lucky escape there ! I had similar expense on my F10 M5 with new turbos and all sorts replaced, although it never let me down just started showing signs of things on there way out. Since AMGeed / Bobby Dazzlers posts I have been looking at the 5.5 E63 myself as I am not familiar with them, they seem like a great option I just love the look of the W204 and not overly concerned about performance as this will tick so many boxes, the sound alone is enough to sway me and I love the look of the wagon. I believe a stage 1 to release some of the de tuned power is trouble free and not a big expense so imagine that would be ample performance should I need any more.

What car did you move from ?

yeah the looks and sound of the w204 is the reason I bought it, always surprises me how much it pulls!
I moved from a mk2 audi TT with the 3.2 vr6 Engine so a big step up.

I’ve done a few things to mine on the exterior to make it more personal and a secondary cat delete makes the sound even better.

Oil : C63 204 : 4000 miles, 1 litre top-up.

MPG : 14 round town when not stuck in traffic for extended periods

Opinion : If you get the coupe, you could end up thinking in some small, niggling way, you 'settled for second best', which is not the point of owning something like this :p

As above 500ml per 4000 miles. Had 27.0 mpg yesterday but usually 22.5 for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom