New to the MB world & Tempted by CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

val_rucarean

Car
C230K (W203) Coupe Fully Loaded + Xenons
Hi all,

I have been reading lots here but it is now time to actually write.
Without commenting on my current car (still German but not Merc :p) I am strongly determined to buy a CLS around 2009 reg as the facelift does make a significant impact visually at least on the exterior IMO (i.e. the rear lights block and the side mirror indicators are lovely). This is my prime reason to go for the facelift version then the availability of the 350 CGI around that year.
I read enough about petrol vs diesel debates and I'm not fussed either way. However, while currently driving a V6 petrol I'm more than happy to go for the 350 CGI as I only do around 7-8k/year in short trips Mon to Fri then a 50-60 miles power run at the weekend just to clear the pipes.
Now the dilemma, having searched on Autotrader for something within my budget (around 14k), 80% were diesels! I was actually expecting more petrols available as per the usual trend. So this can only mean 2 things, the diesels are unreliable hence so many up for sale (which I doubt) or drivers have gone mad on counting pennies. Can someone explain? Feel free to drop me a few tips especially if you are aware of known issues of recent CDI engines (from 09 on) and also the reliability of CGI engines.

Thank you in advance fellas!

very few 350 CGIs were sold, hence very few used ones.

The V6CDi is not without its issues, but 09 on they are strong. The odd one has an engine bearing weakness, and if you clean around the turbo seals come service you'll save yourself grief.

Get a 500 petrol if you must. Better engine with more power and similar economy

If I'm reading the howmanyleft data correctly, there should be 4 350 cdi's on the road for every cgi. Though (for both 320's and 350's) I don't recall ever having seen a cgi, quite a few cdi's.

Are performance and costs that dissimilar between fuels? Was there a company car tax advantage for the diesel? Perhaps a preference for torquey rather than peaky performance?

Thanks ***. I appreciate the 500 petrol but really that drinks seriously and I don't need as much power. A well tuned V6 does it for me ;) Moreover the 500 will be so difficult to sell...
Has anyone heard CGI owners complaining about them? Anything common going wrong with these?

I have a CGI - I use it for around 8k ish miles a year (although having had it less than a year I am doing more miles due to novelty factor presently!).

My reasons for wanting one were similar to yours - would have loved a V8 but didn't want the drink problem or to be in the top road tax/insurance bracket.

Pros:
1) Stats on the 350CGIs are impressive at 292bhp, only a few horses less than the early model CLS500s.
2) Near silent at cruising speed but makes a lovely sound, getting on for a V8 burble when pushing on. Even 30-50mph extra-urban work one can get the deep growl note from the engine.
3) MPG around town impressive.
4) Likely lower repair and maintenance costs than the similar period V6 CDIs.
5) More than adequete power/torque for my needs.
6) Reviews at the time on the CLS said that they are as good to drive as they are to look at - I would agree!
7) You will get a lower mileage, lower owner car (and possibly better looked after going on cars I viewed at the time) £ for £ compared with a diesel version.

Cons:
1) MPG on a run not as good as I'd hoped, unlikely to see over 35. Although I am running pretty wide AMG wheels.
2) Early models (up to about mid-06) suffered potential mechanical engine problems with balance shaft - engine out and around £1500 at an independent to rectify. The fault should not occur on later models due to hardened materials (haven't seen any reports of it happening so far).

Last edited:
Should address the original question instead of waffling.

In terms of reliability, my car has required both cam sensors to be changed (about £20 each but fixed under warranty - it did take them a while to correctly diagnose the problem though).

Symptoms were just the engine warning light on - the drive was not noticeably affected and the car could be driven as normal, according to MB.

This seems to be the only fault so far that I have read about on these engines (the mechianical issue on early cars aside).

Hi clk208 and thanks for sharing your view. Highly appreciated! I wish these freakin' dealers would describe the cars including cons (although in this case not many apply which is good news ).
Regarding mpg of course I don't expect miracles, if I was I'd buy something else. I'm currently driving the 3.2 FSI and it's a rarity seeing 25 mpg around town/or 35+ on the motorway but I was well aware of this and at the end of the day any petrol engine over 3L will take its toll. Tbh when buying such a prestige car like the CLS I don't understand why would one worry excessively about mpg. Ok I do worry too but not desperately.

clk208 - sounds like a strong reliable engine so far. What reg is yours? Thanks

NP - indeed, doing the mileage I do in this car the fuel isn't worth worrying about too much. Especially for the feel good factor of piloting a CLS.

Planning on keeping mine for another 5 or so years hopefully. Mine is a 57 reg - same engine used until the new V6 petrol engine came out in 2011.

I finally accepted that the mileage I did, about 4k, made the fuel costs no concern in the big picture so instead of a diesel I went for a 55 AMG. I reckon the diesel wouldn't manage much more than double the mileage so if you take in whole cost it becomes negligable for what you get in return.

More interesting is regardless of what the insurance group claims, the insurance companies classify them however they fancy and I found the AMG was actually cheaper than the diesel with everything else being equal through Aviva. After finding that it became a no brainer!

I almost forgot...given that the engines have improved from mid 06 could you say the same about the 7G box? Any major issues from 07 reg on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom