New to upgrading- PLEASE help/advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bsl

Car
A 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sedan MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS 2015 World Champion Edition
ModelA 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sedan / A 220 d Sed
PEAMERCEDES AMG PETRONAS 2015 World Champion Edition
Production Date2016-01-25
VINWDD1760032J449191
522Audio 20 Radio Navigation-Capable NTG5
357Garmin® MAP PILOT
857Color Display 8" Diagonal
B54Live Traffic Information

Hi all. Looking for help and advice. I would really like to know if I can get Android Auto but do not know if my vehicle is upgradeable via the ODB port by just activating or if it something more involved.
I have a severely mentally disabled 9 year old who is the only person that travels with me and for his benefit I am also interested in being able to watch video in the car and a bigger display- like the ones in the latest model mercedes.
All help/advice would be very welcome as to what is possible and what can be upgraded/improved/activated with my particular vehicle and associated costs and process. Kindest thanks

Welcome.

If you are looking to keep the original MB look-and-feel, then talk to www.comandonline.co.uk who may be able to fit an additional piece of hardware hidden behind the Audio20 unit to seamlessly provide Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Alternatively, you could fit an after-market unit (e.g. Alpine, or a Chinese Android device) which may not look as good as the original fitment but will have more functionality.

With regards watching video on the move, you could fit rear screens (located on the back of the front seat headrests), though this may not work with your current Audio20 system which may need to be upgraded (e.g. to COMAND). Again, www.comandonline.co.uk will be able to advise what can be done.

Alternatively, a headrest mount for tablet (iPad etc) for the rear passenger might be a cheap and easy solution, if your child is able to operate it.

If the video is required for a front seat passenger, then you may be able to fit a split screen where each half can only be viewed from a certain angle, which will overcome the obvious legal issue with enabling video on a screen that is visible to the driver. That said, I suspect that a split-screen solution for your car might prove difficult to source, and even if it is available, the complete solution (including head unit) is likely to be quite expensive.

Last edited:
E.g.: (photos are not for W176)

82106d1148718849-s55-video-setup-rear-monitors-dvd-changer-s55a.jpg

44677d1106353426-rear-headrest-monitors-211fonddisplay-7-.jpg

Thanks to both of you. I have contacted comandonline and will see what they come back with but was looking to keep the same or upgraded Merc equipment but perhaps a DIY option. That last pic looks like a good option for my wife's car where my son sits in the back. Ta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom