New Top Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clarkson Hammond and May's reaction after watching the new Top Gear,,

Evans just tried to copy Clarkson and came across as a bit of a tit, LE Blanc was surprisingly good and watchable, they should make him the lead with Sabine as his sidekick and ditch Evans.

There's a dirth of petrohead shows on TV and to me it was better than Brotains got no Talent, so mediocre but a lot better than Simon Cowell

Evans is definitely the weak spot.

LeBlanc was, for me, a surprise - I thought he'd be really out of place but actually he works quite well in a car and doing stuff to camera. Based on tonight's outings he's a decent pick.

The comparison with Extra Gear afterwards was poignant. A cheap add on that felt more comfortable and had better chemistry than the main show. Reid and Harris were better than Evans and LeBlanc in the studio.

They should have dropped the green seats and the star(s) in a reasonably priced car. I think they could have ditched the Stig too - just use Schmitz and Harris.

I suspect the actual lesson from tonight is that the BBC have overspent big time on an old format that was ripe for revamp and new blood. If they'd had the courage to go with just Reid, Harris, and Schmitz then they might well have been getting some negatives but probably more positives and more slack to improve.

Did no one else notice the uncomfortable part when Schmitz said to Reid "I'll make your face pale" when they were talking about Schmitz making passengers sick? Evans face was like, 'oh dear god, did she really just say that on live TV?'

Evans just tried to copy Clarkson and came across as a bit of a tit, LE Blanc was surprisingly good and watchable, they should make him the lead with Sabine as his sidekick and ditch Evans.

There's a dirth of petrohead shows on TV and to me it was better than Brotains got no Talent, so mediocre but a lot better than Simon Cowell

I agree leave it to Le Banc and Schmitz and ditch the other hangers on who contribute SFA

Well Evans said it all the other day when he said I have done my best,he was looking for sympathy and we are right out of that commodity,the BBC have now found out that they cannot replace the old TOP GEAR team and it has cost them millions,I hope the Irish producer was worth all that,read tea boy,just what is he up to today?

Watchable but I think it's a mistake to try to cling to the original formula with new faces. The old gang were the old Top Gear. Perhaps the new show will (hopefully) evolve and take on its own distinctive character. I am happy to give it time.

I thought it was ok, I'm going to give it a chance and watch again, they will probably grow into it , they were huge shoes to fill

Remember how Clarkson was when he was first on top gear? He spoke with a plum in his mouth and was very wooden.

Is it just me? I did not like how the old team smashed up cars for fun... made me cringe. And I don't understand why Gordon Ramsay's staff had to seat on the Vauxhall. Is my dislike of people who are disrespectful towards motor vehicles is sensible, or am I in need of professional help....? :(

Is it just me? I did not like how the old team smashed up cars for fun... made me cringe. And I don't understand why Gordon Ramsay's staff had to seat on the Vauxhall. Is my dislike of people who are disrespectful towards motor vehicles is sensible, or am I in need of professional help....? :(

Wasn't GR staff it was the staff of CE local Indian restaurant and was supposed to show 1t of downforce!....do keep up!:thumb:

Tony.

Have people forgotten that the original Top Gear team and production all left and became 5th Gear and look where that is now although it us still going!

Watchable but I think it's a mistake to try to cling to the original formula with new faces. The old gang were the old Top Gear. Perhaps the new show will (hopefully) evolve and take on its own distinctive character. I am happy to give it time.

I agree they should have changed from the original formula and make it their own show, no harm in changing it.

Whilst watching I was getting a lot of deja vu, three wheelers, a race to Blackpool ( if that's what they called it)..... All sound familiar.

I'll have another watch and then see!!!! Otherwise might be time to a get a Amazon stick soon!!!!!

Have people forgotten that the original Top Gear team and production all left and became 5th Gear and look where that is now although it us still going!

I like 5th Gear.

Early days,------ retain part of the old format=criticised ----go for something new=throwing the baby out with the bath water. damned if you do damned if you don't. The show will evolve and develop its own identity. When Top Gear started in its new format there was another presenter--- Jason Dawes? https://forums.finalgear.com/top-ge...we-got-replaced-after-the-first-series-48268/ Hammond's future was also uncertain. Second series saw James May who came across initially as quite awkward and only blossomed later. It was only later the 3 developed the interaction they are known for. While this was one of the programmes strengths it also meant it was in danger of lacking punch and originality and falling back on the "3 stooges" comedy routines as a substitute for hard content.
Crucial question------try to clear your mind of memories of the past Top Gear. Try to imagine that the programme was the first ever Top Gear broadcast- was it a good enough start? Forget comparisons -is it good enough to survive on its own merits as a high production value /free to air motoring show------- LETS HOPE SO.

You can not forget the comparisons there are too many CE need's to be aware he is "NOT" JC!

Tony.

grober said:
Early days,------ retain part of the old format=criticised ----go for something new=throwing the baby out with the bath water. damned if you do damned if you don't. The show will evolve and develop its own identity. When Top Gear started in its new format there was another presenter--- Jason Dawes? https://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-2002-2015/why-jason-dawe-got-replaced-after-the-first-series-48268/ Hammond's future was also uncertain. Second series saw James May who came across initially as quite awkward and only blossomed later. It was only later the 3 developed the interaction they are known for. While this was one of the programmes strengths it also meant it was in danger of lacking punch and originality and falling back on the "3 stooges" comedy routines as a substitute for hard content. Crucial question------try to clear your mind of memories of the past Top Gear. Try to imagine that the programme was the first ever Top Gear broadcast- was it a good enough start? Forget comparisons -is it good enough to survive on its own merits as a high production value /free to air motoring show------- LETS HOPE SO.
Well said.
There are 2 of us on this planet who can watch it objectively!
I enjoyed it. It was good.

Sorry, mustn't confuse fact with opinion;
I enjoyed it, in my opinion it was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom