New Top Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkACLS

Car
2014 W212 E63 AMG 5.5 BiTurbo
So, that's two episodes in. What do you all think?

I'm liking it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's ok, an hours entertainment on a Sunday evening.

I prefer it to the grand tour if I'm honest.

Red C220 said:
It's ok, an hours entertainment on a Sunday evening. I prefer it to the grand tour if I'm honest.

I found myself hitting the fast forward button during every episode of the GT. Starting getting a bit tedious.

I loved that Alfa.

I lived with the rest, it was better than the alternatives.

lfckeeper said:
Really enjoyed this week .... Chris Harris appears to have seen the criticism of his performance last week and calmed down a bit
haven't they all been recorded?

Yes, all the film stuff will have been in the can for weeks/months. The studio parts are not 'live' but I believe are recorded within days of broadcast.
Chris is a proper bloke. I have run him in race cars, and whilst he is no world champion in the making, he is a very good race driver.

In 2003 he was one of just two people (the other was Colin McRae) to drive the Le Mans winning Bentley a couple of months after the event at Snetterton. He was within 2 secs of the works drivers inside 10 laps and got out of the car laughing. "Its just so easy to drive quickly" he giggled. That is exactly what I had been trying to achieve for 3 years, and the way you get a car to win Le Mans:D

Quite enjoyed last night's episode. The series shows promise and will be better once they settle into their roles and stop trying a little too hard with the laddish banter. I like it better than the GT already though.

I liked it and, rather surprisingly, so did my wife, although that may have something to do with Matt Le Blanc. ;)
Chris Harris appeared a little more comfortable in front of camera this week which made him more watchable. He's a kind of latter day Tiff Needell. I've seen many of his in car video reviews before, the ones he's been doing for years and always love his enthusiasm when driving a fast car.
Chris Evans was quite dire in the last series but this is much better without him trying to recreate Clarkson.
Edit as I forgot to say, I'm in love with that Alfa too! :cool:

I like it, because its no longer about the presenters, but more about the cars. That Alfa was very nice.

Switched it on and fond myself more interested in what I was reading!!

The free wheeling down hill and plonkering about in the snow was silly and strained. The whole thing appeared very fake with no real rapport between the presenters.

It just did not hold my attention and at times actually made feel sightly awkward. So not much different from the original Clarkson, Hammond & May for me, apart from, they did seem relaxed and happy to ad-lib where as MLB & Co seem almost not like each other.

Switched it on and fond myself more interested in what I was reading!!

The free wheeling down hill and plonkering about in the snow was silly and strained. The whole thing appeared very fake with no real rapport between the presenters.

It just did not hold my attention and at times actually made feel sightly awkward. So not much different from the original Clarkson, Hammond & May for me, apart from, they did seem relaxed and happy to ad-lib where as MLB & Co seem almost not like each other.

They need time to gel, as any relationship does.

Whoever booked David "Prius" Tennant for the show is probably walking out the door with their P45 right about now, he was excruciating to watch.

Leblanc always seems like he's actually on a live show, at times he seems as though he's a couple of seconds behind the script, but on the whole he's watcheable.

Reid is really blooming into the star of Top Gear, part of the chemistry of "the other three" was they were all funny in their own way and Reid is the only one out of this three with a sense of humour - "Bring On The Wall!" - and I hope that whatever comes out of this he will be the one to benefit most because he looks to have genuine star talent.

Harris again looks and sounds dull but not so much in the road tests, his biggest problem is he just isn't convincing as a presenter, very little gravitas, and looks completely out of his depth when in the company of others.

With regards the "chemistry" between the three, I think there biggest problem will be that "the other three" came about in an age where you had time to develop, nowadays in the age of Twitter you really need to hit the ground running and I can't see them, rightly or wrongly, being afforded that same luxury.

The BBC can't keep attempting to get it right, they'll only get so many chances then they'll struggle to get the viewing figures back up, and as their biggest cash cow they really can't afford for it not to work.

Thank you for writing my review for me SPX!
Couldn't agree more with all of that.

David bloody Tennant on a motoring show. Who's stupid idea was that?

At least this series they only have 3 presenters...wasn't it about 3 million for the last series?

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/2431058-post22.html
As I said before it bears all the hallmarks of a show desperately striving for viewing figures rather than carving out a new identity for itself. Now contrast the far more relaxed and dare I say interesting vibe coming off the Extra gear programme- notable for the absence of MLB ???? - is there some sort of cross culture thing that makes the UK + US conversations come out so stilted?

BBC iPlayer - Top Gear: Extra Gear - Series 2: Episode 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom