New Top Gear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What time does the patent office open tomorrow?
šŸ˜

Genuinely, that would make for great entertainment in so many ways. Top Gear should listen to this one šŸ‘šŸ»

Wasn't overly impressed with the first show of this new series but I enjoy the new format so will continue to watch.

Top Gear as it was existed because the WWW had not been invented and information sources were restricted to TV and magazines.

With the WWW, suddenly a serious car show was no longer required as you can find out all the information you need on cars yourself.

Whilst the serious TG was OK, it was never entertaining like the current post-2002 incarnation of it.

These threads do have a habit of looking exactly the same each time they come up though - I am not sure why those who don't like it still watch.

You can't judge each show without watching it, sure, but it's a safe bet it will follow the same format that some don't like...

Long may it continue!

Iā€™m genuinely interested to hear your thoughts and ideas because Top Gear doesnā€™t really have much conceptual flexibility to move really; itā€™s monumental worldwide success came down to three blokes joshing around and, after a dogs dinner experimentation, theyā€™ve had to return to that exact format - two jokers with the straight guy.
- Well to start with, they should employ at least one professional presenter that understands and knows how to engage with a TV audience. That's something Clarkson did/does well. None of the current TG incumbents fit this description.
- The show could have more audience participation either in reality or virtually.
- Perhaps engage with some of the owners clubs and/or club events
- Make the show relevant to motoring and the challenges ahead.
- Smash up more Caravans ;)

- Well to start with, they should employ at least one professional presenter that understands and knows how to engage with a TV audience. That's something Clarkson did/does well. None of the current TG incumbents fit this description.
- The show could have more audience participation either in reality or virtually.
+1 for smashing up more polycarbonate sheds on wheels :thumb:

Sounds a lot like Fifth Gear to me!

Sounds a lot like Fifth Gear to me!
And therein lies the challenge to the production team. Make TG entertaining, but different from three oafs trashing expensive cars.

And therein lies the challenge to the production team. Make TG entertaining, but different from three oafs trashing expensive cars.
Whether or not people like it - ā€œthree oafsā€ messing about sells and a TV presenter with a side piece on the MG owners club does not.

Thereā€™s plenty of that type of stuff on YT as others have said, but to expect the BBC to turn one of their biggest cash cows into a cosy chat about oily matters is fanciful; it ainā€™t happening.

Should they create a separate programme altogether with similar themes to those youā€™ve mentioned? Iā€™d like to think so but the likelihood is very low.

Whether or not people like it - ā€œthree oafsā€ messing about sells and a TV presenter with a side piece on the MG owners club does not.

Thereā€™s plenty of that type of stuff on YT as others have said, but to expect the BBC to turn one of their biggest cash cows into a cosy chat about oily matters is fanciful; it ainā€™t happening.

Should they create a separate programme altogether with similar themes to those youā€™ve mentioned? Iā€™d like to think so but the likelihood is very low.
We are clearly on a different page on this one. Let's just move on eh?

Last nights episode was superb, what a surprise that none of the doom and gloom merchants here have praised it !!

After slating last weeks show , because it was dreadful , i though i would give it another chance and watched last nights show - which i enjoyed because it was kind of about cars , something E1 wasn`t really about , just three guys ar$ing about.

Paddy crashing someones pride + joy was a bit awkward to watch , but they still tried to extract some "humour" from the situation.

Just had to Google last nights episode to remind myself what actually happened , which tells me a lot about its content and not about my memory.

I was impressed with the wall of death , it must have taken some planning and construction.

K

I thought last nights was much better than week one. Almost fell off the sofa when that poor Lambo went for an off road jolly up! That had to have been a very tough conversation for Paddy and one I would have liked to have listened to :)

Felt less scripted and more natural overall.....and to see an F40 growling away was so so nice, it looks as good today as it did on my bedroom wall many years ago.....

Well done TG and BBC - lets hope #3 is as good or better

Mixed feelings about last night's episode. I enjoyed the 200mph production cars section and as much as I squirmed at the bent Lamborghini it was good to observe that Paddy looked suitably embarrassed and didn't just laugh it off. I was less impressed at Freddy sitting against the front of the XJ220 whilst chatting to Harris - why do people do that to nice cars? But on the other hand he did look genuinely worried when going for the 200mph challenge (apparently Chris had earlier done it with ease on his first attempt.) The write-offs bit had its ups and downs. The musical parking spaces was beyond boring unless you're a pre-school boy who loves smashing up his toy cars. The predilection of the previous main three incumbents to smash into each other's cars (usually May's) always struck me as childish, so I'm disappointed to see this sort of thing continuing. So it was good to get that out of the way and onto the wall of death; ending on a high (if not quite high enough for Fred) was a good move.

(PS. That XJ220 is still a thing of beauty and I'm massively jealous of our very own #Mactech who gets to drive it regularly, as well as being the first to take it to 200mph!)

The Lambo incident - OMG that must have been very awkward! With a car that is new and in production, I guess their insurance would just pay out (or the BBC directly) but what would they do with this one? Would they have to repair it no matter what the cost? Or just financial compensation?

I remember years ago when I worked for a manufacturer and on speaking to the area that prepped the show cars (Motor show/magazines etc) they said that of all the journalists they loaned their cars to, TG always trashed them the most, especially the ones Clarkson had driven!

Havenā€™t watched Ep2 yet. May do later on today.

I enjoyed it too. The 200 MPH cars were great. Shame we didnā€™t see the F40 go for it. Would have been great to get a 959 in there even if it wasnā€™t capable for 200 MPH, for me the rivalry between the 959 and F40 would have been a better storyline.

I did find it somewhat bollox though about the rs being repaired and the "cheap" ford parts. The whole reason why so many MK1 focus rs's were written off in the first place was all the body panels were bespoke and not enough spares were made and prices are sky high. That was a 10 grand repair job unless they found a complete donor car down the back of the sofa !

Watched it last night. Better than Ep1.
Freddie definitely has a pair. Great to see the Jaguar stretch out to 200mph.

Paddy clearly had no respect for the Lamborghini or any idea how quickly it could get him into trouble. Hopefully he has a clearer view now. I also hope that the car has been fully restored to its former glory.

The wall of death thing was nuts and entertaining as was the 'musical chairs' piece.

I would like to have seen a mention of the different categories of insurance write-off levels, and a comment on insurance if repaired and put back on the road.

Mixed feelings about last night's episode. I enjoyed the 200mph production cars section and as much as I squirmed at the bent Lamborghini it was good to observe that Paddy looked suitably embarrassed and didn't just laugh it off. I was less impressed at Freddy sitting against the front of the XJ220 whilst chatting to Harris - why do people do that to nice cars? But on the other hand he did look genuinely worried when going for the 200mph challenge (apparently Chris had earlier done it with ease on his first attempt.) The write-offs bit had its ups and downs. The musical parking spaces was beyond boring unless you're a pre-school boy who loves smashing up his toy cars. The predilection of the previous main three incumbents to smash into each other's cars (usually May's) always struck me as childish, so I'm disappointed to see this sort of thing continuing. So it was good to get that out of the way and onto the wall of death; ending on a high (if not quite high enough for Fred) was a good move.

(PS. That XJ220 is still a thing of beauty and I'm massively jealous of our very own #Mactech who gets to drive it regularly, as well as being the first to take it to 200mph!)
Same here. The 200 mph cars bit was good, the cark park demolition derby was bad, the ret was OK. A significant improvement on episode 1.

Enjoyed the second episode much more.

I was quite shocked to see how big a crash that was for the Lambo - I presumed it would be another prang like for the Volvo the previous week.

Also wondering how much that would be to repair although if the car is not bent, it's cosmetic I guess but on a car of that age it must still be eye-watering to replace the panels...

Loved the musical chairs - made me laugh out loud and yet I've never enjoyed the car football games the previous trio did so I am surprised.

I was also surprised to see there wasn't a lot of room for Freddie in that Quattroporte either and as he is the same height, albeit not quite the same build any more as me, looks like I'd struggle with that one anyway like I do with the Granturismo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom