New Toy Collected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad you are ok after the accident, but step aside Mod's coming through.

Attachments

• 38A8FA96-3703-4A6C-9213-D874DD616778.JPG
    38A8FA96-3703-4A6C-9213-D874DD616778.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 12
A big part of me thinks that the much lighter, but equally cossetting R1250RT is probably a better bike for most, but for me, I cannot let the lure of an inline 6 pass me by.
Before I ordered a replacement K1600GT I did consider the R1250RT, not least due to its significantly lower weight. It also has a modest (actually, very modest when it's fully optioned) price advantage over the K1600.

I've not ridden the latest ShiftCam RT but have ridden a couple of ShiftCam R1250R's and while the engine vibration is less intrusive than with earlier iterations of the boxer engine, I still found it irritating both at motorway cruising speeds and especially when winding it on. I know - and can sort of understand - that some riders find the vibes and and power pulsing "characterful", but I've done enough long days in the saddle to know that one of the most tiring factors is vibration, the total lack of which is a major feature of the inline 6 on the K1600. It's a shame, because the ShiftCam 1250 engine pulls like a train and has addictively instantaneous throttle response. The other thing I thought let that powertrain down was that, unlike on the K1600, using the quickshifter at low speeds and in the lower gears (especially downshifting) was horribly rough with lots of transmission shunt. All in all, the K1600 feels almost immeasurably more refined.
Others (looking at you, radio and speakers) are tragically pointless.
I agree that the speakers are pointless and also that the built-in Bluetooth is poor, but it you want music in your helmet headset streamed from the bike's audio system it can be fixed pretty easily by the addition of a Sena SM10.

The heated seats are wonderful though :)

One word of advice about the K1600 is to keep an eye on oil consumption. Many (most?) are fine, but some can really gollop it - like a litre or more in 1,000 miles. The checking procedure is somewhat convoluted and arcane, and the filler is impossible to use without a funnel which makes it awkward to top up unless at home or in a workshop.

Also, based on my experience of the damage if/when it goes on its side (always a high risk of a parking speed drop on bikes this big and heavy), I'll be adding Ilium Works protection bars on the rear to next one to compliment the engine bars.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your spill, and glad that you are both (pretty much) ok.
Hopefully all will be sorted in good time and to your benefit.
I live near Rugby and have approached that roundabout from the Lutterworth side a few times with the new layout and it is very misleading with lights that give the impression that you have right of way and effectively having to cross the lane that leads to the slip road if you want to carry straight on into Rugby.
Every time I use it someone seems to make a mistake or think they have priority - including me the first time I used it.
Get well soon and enjoy the new bike. It looks amazing.

Your accident sounds like a similar one to mine. Traffic at a standstill and I’d filtered as far as safely possible and was stopped right next to the drivers window of the car to my left. Next thing I know she’s tried to do a 3 point turn thru me. My front wheel was level with her bumper and I was sat just ahead of her and she claimed I was speeding down the outside!!
Dash cam of the fella behind and a few witness statements helped the process but it took ages as she was uninsured and claimed to be someone else.

Never had a bike, but love them. Had a deal with my dad when I was 16, if I wanted a bike, I would be paying for it, but if I waited till I was 17, he would buy me a car. Car won, but never stopped me riding pillion on my pals Triumph Bonneville at stupid speeds with no helmet or leathers (no helmet requirements in these days) At that age you never think of the worst.

I live near Rugby and have approached that roundabout from the Lutterworth side a few times with the new layout and it is very misleading with lights that give the impression that you have right of way and effectively having to cross the lane that leads to the slip road if you want to carry straight on into Rugby.
Every time I use it someone seems to make a mistake or think they have priority - including me the first time I used it.
I agree that from the perspective of someone navigating it for the first time - like I was - that roundabout is a dog's breakfast, and the confusing combination of traffic signals, lane lines and signage probably go some way to explain why the car driver almost stopped on the roundabout a couple of times trying to work out where to go next. As I said in another thread, I fancy that the standard of highways engineering has declined in a similar fashion to the general standard of driving. That said, and obviously the driver concerned had decided they had taken an exit other than the one they should have, their efforts to correct that error - by pulling a U-turn across the ghost island well after the exit - were totally inappropriate and caused carnage.

One funny moment happened when I was laying in the ambulance being checked over by a paramedic and one of the attending Police officers asked if I could give him my version of events. I did so and his response was, "OK, that correlates almost 100% with what the van driver told me, but oddly it's the complete opposite of what the car driver said happened". He then added with a big grin, "But I think he's telling me fairy stories, so I'm sticking him on!".

Reactions: Ted
Bloody 'eck ! Glad you're both OK. I can't get authorisation for two wheeled toys unless they are electric mountain bikes!

Ouch!
Sorry I hadn't caught up with this thread until this morning, but I'm very glad you are both ok(ish!)
As you say, there are only so many things you can do as risk mitigation when on two wheels and it appears you just happened across one of the greatest risks (another road user) at just the wrong place and time.
I've managed to do all my jumping off bikes either on the dirt or on race circuits, but you don't have to be going quickly to hurt yourself or the bike.
As I've only got a month left in my 60's, I'm seriously considering selling my bike after having one since the age of sixteen. Your ability to bounce well certainly does reduce with age, despite the experience gained.
I do hope your replacement K1600GT stays with you a little longer. As it happens, I'm picking up a BMW at the weekend, but with 4WD rather than one!
Vera, the Defender has been sold and a somewhat more refined X3 will replace it. We then have a vehicle the dogs can jump in the back of and complete a long journey without our ears bleeding....
The sale of the VFR may complete the vehicle rationalisation plan.

Your ability to bounce well certainly does reduce with age, despite the experience gained.
Isn't that the truth!
As I've only got a month left in my 60's, I'm seriously considering selling my bike after having one since the age of sixteen.
Like you, I had my first bike when 16 (it was the sports moped era, so I had a Fantic Ti-6 :) ) and have never been without a motorcycle since. It definitely gets in the blood.

I'm less than a decade behind you and completely understand the physical challenges of wheeling a big bike around as we get older. What was easy in our 30's takes more planning and care in our 60's. That said, I used to ride fairly regularly with a guy in his early 80's who still enjoyed his ST1100, so I've always thought of that as an aim point.

I've just had confirmation from the dealer that the replacement K1600GT is still due for delivery in late March, so I've started amassing the few accessory items I want to add that I couldn't get off the last one (fender extender, paint protection film for the panniers, etc.).

Enjoy your X3, and thanks for your kind wishes 👍

Isn't that the truth!

Like you, I had my first bike when 16 (it was the sports moped era, so I had a Fantic Ti-6 :) ) and have never been without a motorcycle since. It definitely gets in the blood.

I'm less than a decade behind you and completely understand the physical challenges of wheeling a big bike around as we get older. What was easy in our 30's takes more planning and care in our 60's. That said, I used to ride fairly regularly with a guy in his early 80's who still enjoyed his ST1100, so I've always thought of that as an aim point.

I've just had confirmation from the dealer that the replacement K1600GT is still due for delivery in late March, so I've started amassing the few accessory items I want to add that I couldn't get off the last one (fender extender, paint protection film for the panniers, etc.).

Enjoy your X3, and thanks for your kind wishes 👍
Reminds me of fellow BMW rider and ex-racer Murray Walker. He used to turn up regularly to Silverstone on a boxer BMW back in the 80's
When your fellow K1600GT rider Martin Brundle asked if he was still riding whilst they were commentating together some years later, Murray gave him a withering look over top of his glasses and sighed. Martin said says he never saw Murray say so much without uttering a word.....
We'll all know when it is the right time to stop.

Well, well, well...

I'm pleased to say that the financial side of my incident was all wrapped up to my satisfaction by the end of January and that as I type this post neither Angie nor I have any lasting effects from the injuries sustained.

Something odd that did happen as part of the settlement was that the at fault party's insurer asked that I sign an "Assignment and Agreement" form. My solicitor explained that while the insurer admitted liability and therefore settlement of my claim was not in question, they had some issue with indemnity which - in his words - suggested that the driver had made a false declaration on their proposal for insurance, or there was some other reason why they were considering voiding his cover. The Assignment and Agreement document would allow them to recover their costs from their "insured" driver. Hold that thought a moment.

I was pondering only yesterday that it was almost six months from the date of the incident and that I hadn't heard from the Police as to whether or not they were going to take action against the at fault driver, and made a mental note to give them a call sometime next week once the six months are up.

This morning I received a letter from the Police advising that "a decision has been made to pass the matter over to the courts". The offences to be heard are Drive a motor vehicle without insurance, and Drive a motor vehicle otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

Disappointing that there's no charge of at least Careless Driving, but I note from the sentencing guidelines that assuming the No Insurance charge is found to be Category 1 (Higher culpability and greater harm) which, for example, would be demonstrated by having never passed a driving test and having been involved in an accident where damage and/or injury was caused then upon conviction he's looking at a Band C Fine and Disqualification for 6 - 12 months. He's also on the thick end of £20k costs recovery from his insurer.

Assuming he's convicted, I'd class that as an equitable disposal.

Never had a bike, but love them. Had a deal with my dad when I was 16, if I wanted a bike, I would be paying for it, but if I waited till I was 17, he would buy me a car. Car won, but never stopped me riding pillion on my pals Triumph Bonneville at stupid speeds with no helmet or leathers (no helmet requirements in these days) At that age you never think of the worst.
We did the same with our son plus at the time, my wife worked in the spinal unit and she got a couple of the motorbike victims to talk to him about bikes. It worked. AFAIK he has never ridden a motorbike.

I had a friend with a BSA 650 (in the days of the Bonneville just before the advent of the Honda 750 4). Same thing, Jeans & T-shirts. I sometimes loaned him my Mini if he had a date that did not like bikes. I’m surprised I did not kill myself on the BSA. I was not an experienced biker. Young, dumb and full of .....

So glad you are fairly straight with the financial side of things and suffering no long term effects. That is good news.

The insurance side of things is often a bit of an eye opener. Back in 2006 I parked up fully legally to have breakfast at a south coast resort whilst visiting Ricardo's engine facility. I came back from breakfast to find a note on my windscreen from a bystander and the side wiped out of my S211!

IMGP4520.JPG

The note told me that one of "Pants and Corsets" big red buses had been the aggressor, so I got my insurance company to follow it up.
They dealt very well with it but I was amazed to find the bus company was 'self insured' Rare but apparently not unheard of.
I never knew that was possible, but it all went through the system eventually and the car was repaired very well by the Norwich Mercedes dealer.

I have sold my own motorcycle now and have been returning the garage to house 2 cars again. But I keep finding things like these in there!

IMG_0066.JPG

The overspill from my son's collection of about 14 bikes. His classic and modern enduro bikes. Whilst both are road legal, I need a step ladder to get on the Sherco:eek:

but I was amazed to find the bus company was 'self insured' Rare but apparently not unheard of.
Not sure if it's still the case, but the Royal Mail (Post Office, as was) and other big organisations were often 'self insured' for motor vehicles. It used to require a £500,000 bond to be lodged with the Government that is subsequently used to pay third-party claims in the event of an at-fault collision. With increasing personal injury payments, I'm not sure whether it still makes sense?
I have sold my own motorcycle now
I've just gone the other way! Delivery of my factory order K1600GT has been delayed to 3rd week of May (and "might slip further" according to my dealer) and I have a motorcycle trip coming up that I really, really, want to go on. Trouble is, I have to pay a substantial sum for that at the beginning of May so I either had to cancel, pay up and risk having no bike, or put a back stop in place. Fortunately, my dealer has bent over backwards to help and I picked up a used 2019 K1600GTL on Friday for which they've offered a guaranteed buy-back price when my factory order arrives, and also a further discount on it:

sjjJFDR.jpg

Not sure if it's still the case, but the Royal Mail (Post Office, as was) and other big organisations were often 'self insured' for motor vehicles. It used to require a £500,000 bond to be lodged with the Government that is subsequently used to pay third-party claims in the event of an at-fault collision. With increasing personal injury payments, I'm not sure whether it still makes sense?

I've just gone the other way! Delivery of my factory order K1600GT has been delayed to 3rd week of May (and "might slip further" according to my dealer) and I have a motorcycle trip coming up that I really, really, want to go on. Trouble is, I have to pay a substantial sum for that at the beginning of May so I either had to cancel, pay up and risk having no bike, or put a back stop in place. Fortunately, my dealer has bent over backwards to help and I picked up a used 2019 K1600GTL on Friday for which they've offered a guaranteed buy-back price when my factory order arrives, and also a further discount on it:

sjjJFDR.jpg
Doesn't look like you'll be slumming it next month then! Great when dealers go above and beyond.
I'll bet it feels quick if you have not ridden for a few months.

Great when dealers go above and beyond.
The dealer has been really good. We toyed with the idea of a new ShiftCam R1250RT that they had in stock and they loaned me their demonstrator for a few hours to try out. In many ways it's a great bike (significantly lighter than the K1600, quick steering, beautifully balanced, and performance probably the equal of the K1600) but the engine feels incredibly agricultural after the turbine-smooth inline six of the K. I tried, but I really hated the engine vibes so that was out of the question :(

Then they offered me a deal on the GTL that would have been stupid to ignore. If my factory order turns up in May, I'll do the swap then which will give me enough time to run it in and get the first service done before my trip; otherwise I'll use the GTL and swap over when I get back.
I'll bet it feels quick if you have not ridden for a few months.
Yup! :)

Another update:

Delivery of my factory order K1600GT has been delayed further, tentatively to sometime week commencing 6th June or possibly the week after, so my decision to buy the stop-gap GTL is vindicated as there's no way I could have got the new bike run in and the first service carried out before our trip. I'll now take delivery of the new one when we get back which will give me four-and-a-half weeks to get it ready for our next trip :)

Regarding the collision that started all this, I received a letter this morning from the Police Traffic Process Unit informing me that the driver of the car was found guilty of the offences charged (Drive a motor vehicle without insurance, and Drive a motor vehicle otherwise than in accordance with a licence) and has received a fine of £660, costs of £90, victim surcharge of £66 and 6 points on his licence. Slightly disappointed that it didn't result in a disqualification, but I suspect that's probably academic as I doubt there will be a long list of motor insurers queuing up to offer him an affordable policy. I expect the insurance company that voided his policy will also be taking out a civil claim against him - if they haven't done so already - to recover their costs, a sum that will dwarf the court fine.

Did the police also enclose a cheque for £66, or is the 'victim surcharge' just another name for an additional administration charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom