New trip computer game

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SW18

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model Y (Formerly S212 E500)
To pass the time on long drives I sometimes play the ‘fuel number’ game of adding average speed to average mpg to see how high I get. 90+ is about the best I can do in my car.

Recently I’ve been trying a ‘maximum range’ version to see how high the total of remaining range and distance travelled gets. Anything above 500 miles is rare in my car, but this morning having filled up and then trundled through the looong M4 roadworks I reached a total of 689 miles! Couldn’t manage a photo though.

I've been playing this game ever since the days of Group C racing cars and Le Mans...that's about 40 years.
Your target should be about 140.
The Le Mans Bentley would do a lap average of about 135mph and 7mpg.
I've managed this on the road....which just beats it!...and legally:)

IMG_1418.jpeg

I have to declare an interest in your ‘game’ that became a lifestyle to me and some real proof that ‘racing improves the breed’

In the mid ‘80s Gp C racing had reasonably loose rules provided you could be the quickest to race 1000kms on just 510 litres of pump fuel. That meant that the speed vs. fuel efficiency was a top priority.

At TWR Jaguar we were amongst the very first to use digital sequential engine management on our big V12 engines. One of the spin offs of that was, with careful calibration of fuel injector flow, that we could accurately measure the fuel being used by the engine in real time.

I was instrumental (I use the word advisedly!) in developing a programmable unit which would allow the drivers to see their fuel usage in terms of laps worth of fuel used, every lap. This was a huge benefit to ensure that the car was running to the fuel target and allow them to tailor their driving style to use the fuel allocation most effectively.

It helped us win two World Sportscar Championships and for me, three overall Le Mans 24 hour races.

Subsequent to that, the same principals have been used in road car instrumentation to gives us the instant and overall mpg figures and the ‘range’ which we take for granted in our modern cars.

Good game, good game!
IMG_2303.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom