New Tv Choice narrowed down but still not sure...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why no mention of CRT technology? I thought Loewe CRT screens still kicked everything else into a cocked hat (though confess its about a year since i last checked-have things moved on so dramatically?)

CRT is just too big, heavy and unwieldy for anything over about 30". And they are uneconomical to run. Loewe are expensive to buy as well and there may be problems with obtaining spares over a period of time.
Projectors however are another thing and providing your viewing room is fairly large, is worthy of consideration.

I have a Samsung (LCD) and I'm very happy with it. Excellet 2000:1 contrast too.

Have a play with it though. The tuner is really quite slow, and can be a bit infuriating. Mins isn't the 'main' telly, so it's not a serious issue, but be sure you can live with it (if it even affects the model you're looking at).

PJ

We have a 42" Sharp LCD (1080p), which is excellent. No motion blur on HD (from PS3), or anything else.

My only additional advice would be to think carefully about the screen size. Ours replaced a 28" CRT and seemed HUGE when we got it. Now I regret not getting a 46" instead (although in fairness there was quite a price jump from 42" to 46")!

BTB 500 is totally correct.
I bought my 32" TV about 4 years ago when prices were still high. At the time it was like going to the cinema. Now its almost considered small.
I would now buy a 50" if I needed a new set.
As big as you can afford is the new rule.

I've been looking at all these things from a distance for several years, bewildered by the range and complications of choice, and therefore behaving like a rabbit in the headlights. However, what has come into focus through all the confusion is that Panasonic consistently comes top of tests and -- I think -- plasma is more power hungry than LCD (although it's not that simple and may have more to do with screen size than intrinsic technology). As things stand, I'm still happy with my Sony CRT and am not convinced of the need to change until these new things really are slim enough and light enough to hang on the wall like a picture frame and not needing one of those ridiculously expensive wall brackets.

Quick update

I have just been to our local currys with loads of TV.

Sat / Stood watching some, moved round for the angles etc.. Noticed there are very few plasmas now anyway?

Looked at a few and kept coming back to the Samsung 40" LCD 1080p, 50,000 :1, 4 * HDMI, usb, optical, etc etc...

I will be going from a 32" CRT to the 40" and have a cut out of the size (yes I know a little sad..) but it does look huge, especially as currently sitting where the 32" was we are using a 20" CRT....

Your right in a few months it may look normal, but in the gap its going it will fill it at 40-42" any larger I feel will actually look silly.

Off with the wife later / weekend to see what she thinks..

In the brochure she likes the LG Scralet........but I think the frame at the bottom is too big..

aaarrgghhh so much choice.

1 thing I think I'm sure on now is LCD

I picked a Toshiba LCD last year (cost around 450) with built in freeview, and can vouch for the picture quality and build quality.

For our room size a 40 would be too big but the 32 is perfect. But no matter what set you buy, unfortunately it won't make the TV programs any better.

New TV from Sony

Due out in October is the Sony Bravia KDL-52Z4500. No mention of price but expect it to be high end and the specifications are fantastic.

I want one, 52", 200Hz and 80,000-1 dynamic contrast with freeview tuner built in it has to be the dogs whatsists.

Christmas present? Hint:eek:

Sony and Samsung use the same panels anyway, manufactured in a new plant that they built as a joint venture a few years ago.

http://news.cnet.com/Sony,-Samsung-complete-LCD-plant/2100-1041_3-5271407.html

Therefore it really comes down to aesthetics and software, so I would suggest that you also play with the controls, look at speed of response and picture adjustment control.

I don't think you will go far wrong with either, and personally I would buy the one that was the best deal, and would not be swayed by the brand image.

I brought a Sony Bravia KDL40V4000 LCD, 1080p, 40" LCD
last week.
Very happy with it :bannana:
great picture on normal sources
and stunning on blue ray discs :bannana: :bannana:
I got the tv with a free sony blu ray player and 5 year guarantee
for £699 :D

Due out in October is the Sony Bravia KDL-52Z4500. No mention of price but expect it to be high end and the specifications are fantastic.

I want one, 52", 200Hz and 80,000-1 dynamic contrast with freeview tuner built in it has to be the dogs whatsists.

Christmas present? Hint:eek:

Do you mean FREESAT satellite tuner/receiver? Panasonic offer 3 42"+
plasmas with built in satellite receivers, and according to my sources ;) come October will offer full HD 37" AND 32" LCD models with built in satellite receivers

Do you mean FREESAT satellite tuner/receiver? Panasonic offer 3 42"+
plasmas with built in satellite receivers, and according to my sources ;) come October will offer full HD 37" AND 32" LCD models with built in satellite receivers

I did not see Freesat mentioned, but check Sony's website to make sure. If the picture quality is as good as the specifications it beats plasma screens by miles. Unfortunately it will probably beat them by miles on price as well.

We have a 42" Sharp LCD (1080p), which is excellent. No motion blur on HD (from PS3), or anything else.

My only additional advice would be to think carefully about the screen size. Ours replaced a 28" CRT and seemed HUGE when we got it. Now I regret not getting a 46" instead (although in fairness there was quite a price jump from 42" to 46")!

me too

i went from 32" CRT to 40" LCD and thought that might be too big as i sit 3-6ft from tv and now i wished id have got the 46"

go big

I would go for the Sony Bravia KDL40V4000 LCD, 1080p, 40" LCD.
My Sony Bravia/Blu Ray combination is awesome. Purchase from John Lewis (never knowingly undersold) using pricematch and you will get it at the lowest advertised retail price with free delivery and their free 5 year warranty.

At 40-42 inch size you are at the limits of LCD size and you will find that a plasma would probablyy be better (in my opinion).
Theres endless debate as to which is better but each has its advantages and disadvantages.

I would definately go for a 1080p one whether lcd or plasma. Sony tend to be more expensive than the other brands, but I personally dont think that they are that much better given the price difference.

http://www.soundandvision.co.uk/?gclid=CJXBlbnJxZUCFQpPQgodqiYFig

Check these guys out they always have very good prices

SAMSUNG, Sony have a problem with pixels... the guy in currys said so. Also got a couple of Samsungs and there perfect. They look good too

40" is massive, simply huge and looks silly in most normal rooms.....

I have an old 32" Panasonic CRT which I'm still struggling to find better picture quality....

I have a non branded 26" flat panel LCD in the conservatory (Tevion I think it is) bought from the warehouse next door to me for £180. It's fantastic, and as good as any of these big brand names at 3 times the price for daily TV.

They also sell Tecnika stuff, which is Tesco own brand, the have a 37" 1080 LCD available, fully HD for £300...that's about as big as I'll go to be honest unless I was fitting a purpose built cinema room.

*NOTE: I would never previously consider anything other than Panasonic or SONY, but I have to say I'm converted. Many of these brands you pay large sums of money for features you very very rarely (if ever) use.

Last edited:
Hi, (this is my first post) I have just got a Sharp 46inch 1080 LCD screen from Rithcher sounds for £750, They are for sale in Tesco for £999.
I did have a Hitachi 42 LCD that we got just after xmas but it decided to die hence why we got the Sharp as a replacment free from Ritcher sounds.
I did have an old NEC plasma before that and if I had the choice between LCD or Plasma I would go for the Plasma every time.

One thing I would reccomend is get a decent bracket and mount it on the wall to save space/toddlers wobbling it, but if you are going to wall mount it check before you buy that you can access all of the sockets easily as with some they are impossible to reach when they are on the wall.

Last edited:
curry's had a mad special offer 50" for £700

Here in the Stone Age I still have a Phillips 36" widescreen CRT with pixel plus which gives a far better picture than a great many so called HD offering. Being huge and very, very heavy also has something to do with the fact it is still around but the time is fast approaching when it will have to go.

After much ferreting around and torturing of showroom staff Sony Bravia of similar size is current favourite in terms of a potential replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom