New TV up and running after all the searching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Well after our old trusty 32" CRT decided to blow up just before our summer holidays we have been using an even older 20" CRT Tv for the past week weeks while I search and read up on whats what with these new flat screens....

Set we have been using temporally...

IMAGE_273.jpg

After reading reviews and reviews, magazines, forums etc etc I was still undecided. Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and panasonic all in the running. Then is it plasma, lcd, 100Hz, 1080p, contrast, viewing angle, how many hdmi, etc etc. Anyone who has one of these newer TV's will know its not that simple now a days....

Went to a sony shop the other day (friday) and viewed the KDLW4000 for the third or fourth time. Everywhere we go they are playing blueray, demos or HD so all look great. I just have standard Sky and they hooked it up to show me.

Anyway good job I had the ML, as I just made the decision we will take. So a Sony won, Seems to have almost all the 'things' to look for and the wife liked the way the 'sony' lights up (I do too if truth be known). Oh and the deal was with a Blueray player for £99 and 5 year insurance so quite good.

I built the stand last night which took hours as the little one kept pinching the bolts and washers and running off...great !! I wanted it out of her reach (18 months old) so it works quite well.

Only just hooked everything up and have decided to replace my old QS series amp with a full HDMI one so the surround isn't working yet but so far its very good. Watched the start of Bad boys 1 and its great !! Standard TV very good and just watching the closing games now :)

OOh and I also invested in some good quality scart / mdmi cables which I guess help?

Right off to choose the amp :) :) :) 7.1 surround !!!! and get some blue ray dvd's :bannana:

Very poor picture off my phone but you get the idea. Decided 40" does not look silly in the room next one up was 46" and that would be pushing it in the bay window (now wife friendly)

like it :)

IMAGE_276.jpg

Nice.

I too went for a Sony. I got the KDL46W2000 and its fab. The 5yr warranty is certainly a nice thing to have.

Last edited:
Very nice, I'm in the same situation, old 32" Sony CRT defunct, now trying to decide between Plasma and LCD, Samsung and Panasonic. Had discounted the Sony's because they were so much more expensive than the others for similar spec, but may have to revisit based on your experience.
I ended up getting a glass fronted lockable wooden cabinet (from IKEA I think) to keep the boxes and TV away from little fingers:devil:.
The quality of Standard Def does worry me, I've seen some horrendous examples on the HD sets and since I've got standard Sky that's all I'll be watching on it.

BTW I don't think the quality of the HDMI lead has any imapct on the picture like it does for SCART leads, but I'm no expert.

Hello

I too decided on a cheaper model the samsung V6 was high on the list. I discounted Plasma after hearing and reading stories about burn in.

Also don't for get the 5 Year guarantee is worth £200-£300 on its own so something to consider.

Each model Samsung, Panasonic, Sony etc etc has bits I liked but not all had everything.

Looking at the pictures in shops I was like you, I don't have sky HD (yet) so watch Standard Def TV through Sky + and looking at all the sets they were all poor, So wasn't too happy.

All the shops said its as they have one sky box with splitters to all the TV's this seems daft as if your looking at spending £1000 plus you want to see a good picture..

Anyway I bit the bullet as If I didn't just choose one, new model are out all the time.

I connected it using a 'monster' gold plated scart from TV to Sky + and the HDMI to the blueray, then using an optical cable from TV to blue ray. (still deciding on what amp) it will be sony as I love the way it all works off one remote :)

Picture is very very good, well pleased with it :) want to watch a blueray film now just to appreciate it.

I can fully recommned this set.

Pop corn for the weekend me thinks :)

Now, if it would only improve what television has for product anymore.

why do i have to scroll across the screen to read this post ????
is it anything to do with your super duper extra wide new tv set

why do i have to scroll across the screen to read this post ????
is it anything to do with your super duper extra wide new tv set

lol - funny:D :D

Nice set up though - looks ace. Our Sony 32"crt shows no sings of going so until it does we're sticking with what we have - but I so want a flat screen for the lounge - just because :eek: :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom