New type of traffic camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
I was driving out of London on the A4 towards the Hogarth roundabout, and spotted a gantry on nearside with a row of 5/6 grey cameras facing the traffic.

Came back in later on the A40 and saw the same again London bound near Hillingdon.

Anyone know what they're for?

They sound like 'specs' cameras. They work out your average speed between two points and then if you were speeding they send you a gentle little reminder. It's to stop people speeding up between gatso cameras then slowing to prevent having their picture taken.

I think ALL safety cameras have to be in some luminous yellow colour. The grey suggests its road data collection. Or someone forgot to put coloury bits on them and the post will come will points.

I read there are trials now for cycle lane cameras.

I was driving out of London on the A4 towards the Hogarth roundabout, and spotted a gantry on nearside with a row of 5/6 grey cameras facing the traffic.

Came back in later on the A40 and saw the same again London bound near Hillingdon.

Anyone know what they're for?

ANPR cameras for the new emissions zone?

I noticed the ones on the A40 at the weekend, there are some on both sides of the road...

Later this year we are going to have a number of roads in Devon that will have the very latest average distance speed cameras installed. They will be permanant and on 'A' roads NOT our one motorway.

One will definitely be on the A361 North Devon link road which is deemed a dangerous road which has had a number of fatalities. I have no problem with the local authority designating it as dangerous BUT............... This is a new three lane carriageway, which at the time of planning was criticised as being a potential lethal stretch of road. Making a dual carriageway instead of a three lane highway would not have been that expensive at that time, but the local authority decided it would not be dangerous and NOT a cause for concern and thus dismissed all the objections. :mad: :mad: This was not a case of modifying a previously built road, we are talking about the construction of a completely new highway.:mad: :mad: Hopefully these new cameras will make this stretch of road safer, but it just seems so wrong to me. Hopefully everyone will take note of the warnings and drive accordingly.

John

I read in this week's Autocar that they were emissions cameras - fancy technology that can spot polluting cars, and resut in a fine. Oh joy.

I read in this week's Autocar that they were emissions cameras - fancy technology that can spot polluting cars, and resut in a fine. Oh joy.

Just turn the engine off when passing..:rolleyes:

Seriously if that's the case then they will be to catch non complient LGV.

This really is not going to end is it. I've seen similar cameras appearing on the A406 and wondered what they are for. They can't be time and distance and there is a new set just after a speed camera.

I think it will be the end when we are told that we must not smile while driving as photgraphs from speed cameras must be like the new driving licence and passport pictures.

I predict a rise in burkah sales....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom