New tyre labelling legislation from November (ratings for grip, efficiency & noise)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Thought this was interesting, apologies if it's been posted elsewhere:

New label system to help you compare tyres
From November 2012, every new tyre sold in the UK will come with a label that shows its rating for stopping distance, fuel efficiency and noise levels.

Tyre noise is signified by a sound wave symbol – three for the quietest and one for the noisiest tyres. The ratings for stopping distance (wet grip) and fuel efficiency (rolling resistance) are based on the same system as domestic appliances – a series of coloured bands from A to G, with A being the best and G the worst.

In the case of wet grip, each grade can make a difference in stopping distance of up to six metres at 50mph. Each grade on the rolling resistance scale can mean a difference of up to 4.5% in fuel consumption.

The new labels, required by EU legislation, will be compulsory for car, van and truck tyres, but not for off-road, re-treaded, vintage car tyres or spare tyres.

New label system to help you compare tyres

The tyre noise symbol looks to be the wrong way round (pun intended), surely one wave from the speaker should indicate a quieter tyre not three.

So how are these ratings arrived at, and does relative performance differ on different cars for the same tyre.

So how are these ratings arrived at, and does relative performance differ on different cars for the same tyre.

They will be extremely accurate and correspond to real-life usage. Just like the current EC fuel consumption figures :crazy:

The grip marker does not specify the temperature. That makes it pretty useless in a geographic area the size of Europe.

We've published some research on the official fuel consumption figures. Key findings being they are inacurate, but are a reliable indicator of actual MPG figures. However, they are less acurate for higher mpg cars. Hence, lower mpg cars are more fuel efficient than people think.

We've published some research on the official fuel consumption figures. Key findings being they are inacurate, but are a reliable indicator of actual MPG figures. However, they are less acurate for higher mpg cars. Hence, lower mpg cars are more fuel efficient than people think.

As far as my new P7's go they are certainly quiet. No discernable improvement to mpg though.

The grip marker does not specify the temperature. That makes it pretty useless in a geographic area the size of Europe.

Why?

Local temperatures will effect any chosen tyre so stated differences at the 'Test Temp' should remain linearly stable, and thus comparable in other different geographically temperate climates.

My understanding is that 'outside noise is measured' not interior noise.

If that's the case (which seems pointless) then a noisy tyre in an E or S Class could sound fine when compared to an older A Class for example. :wallbash:

If that's the case (which seems pointless) then a noisy tyre in an E or S Class could sound fine when compared to an older A Class for example. :wallbash:

I guess it's the only way to be consistent with the measuring. Interior noise will of course vary car to car. So which car should be selected as the control car for any given tyre diameter size, what then if that car can't take a particular tyre width? By measuring exterior noise it largely removes the car as a variable, which I think is what customers want to see.

Last edited:
I don't think they are bothered about the interior noise as that can be dictated by the manufacturer and owner of the car.
They are measuring drive by noise as that affects people who don't have any control over it.

I know, it's a strange idea to think of people other than yourself...:rolleyes:

For 99% of the general motoring public I doubt anyone will ever assess or even notice these ratings. They'll go for price....and/or whatever Kwik Fit happen to have on the shelf.

when it comes to money - its remarkable how good most people are at adding up - if they weren't the high streets would be thriving and on line shopping would be negligible - all tyres have to meet legislation - so if one is £70 and another is £200 at same spec and meets manufacturers requirements - i know what one i will be buying

It would be good if they had a fourth category for wear rate (to a din standard or whatever).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom