New tyres at Costco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zenman63

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2016 L450 Range Rover 4.4 AB, 2015 GTs 2017 Range rover evoque
He is an odd one, l need new tyres on the Gle63s and want to fit Michelin PS4 suv.
I call Costco only to be told they cannot fit them as there not MO?

Odd and total BS.

Odd and total BS.
Apparently on Michelin web site?
He said supply only or fit the old latitude sport 3.
I said the tyre is new the PS4 suv why can you not fit them, just can’t he said!

I put a full set of PS4 SUVs on the (166) GL a couple of months ago.

Great tyres in all respects, although they seem to pick small stones up easily which can be a little annoying if you park on gravel etc and I had to replace one due to a puncture after less than 1000 miles :doh:

Nonsense about the ‘MO’ thing - try another branch? I did try Costco for a quote but they were significantly more expensive (£200-300 IIRC) at the time.

Would buy again :thumb:

Not sure what that has to do with it, all MO denotes is that the tyres have met manufacturers approval. What matters is that they're the right size and within load specs.

The Costco fitter is talking a load of sh*t.

I said the tyre is new the PS4 suv why can you not fit them, just can’t he said!
I’ve fitted non MO tyres to all our AMGs a number of times at Costco- that’s a lot of tyres.
Very strange.

I have gone to another tyre place I have used before and ordered at set now, 2-3 week back order.

It would be interesting to see what another branch says on the suv thing.

Costco have a lot of funny rules regarding tyres

Assuming I got the vehicle and tyre size correct, the Michelin site lists the PS4 SUV as a recommended fitment:

Fitters at our local Costco are complete muppets. I like using them as they used to be pretty good on price, I like that they use a wheel free lift (had damage from trolley jacks before) and they do seem to take care, but absolutlely anything outside their 'rules' and they won't do it. Annoying they won't do rotation here - it's free in their US facilities.

For Michelins they're not the slam-dunk cheapest any more either like they used to be. I guess that's since they started selling other brands.

Needed a set of Primacy 3's for daughter's Jazz the other day. Costco didn't have stock and couldn't order them. Tyres On The Drive were cheaper anyway, and had a further 15% off. Was a bit unsure about using them but it went fine. They use an air bellows thing to lift the car. Only 16" wheels on her car, I think I'd be reluctant to use a mobile service if 18" or bigger as you need a bit of room and I believe balancing gets iffy on their van.

If you still wanted to use Costco for non-MO tyres, I'd email Michelin and get them to say they''ll be fine. The Costco guys still might say no though. I ended up having the get the store general manager to over-rule them once when they wouldn;t fit a pair of fronts on my car once they realised it was staggered and they couldn't put the new tyres on the back. The tyre bay manager was seething!

It's the Fawlty Towers approach to running a tyre bay....it's all so much easier if you haven't got any customers giving you things to do.

To be fair when I have used Costco for tyres I have had zero complaints. The quality of their work and attention to detail is superb.

Just seems that recently they are not so competitive on price on the sizes I have needed - maybe on stock/more mainstream size tyres they are better?

Their pricing seems to have become generally more variable. A quick check on tyres for Lucy's Kuga shows that they're about £15 a tyre cheaper for some of their offerings, but Pilot Sports for example are wildly uncompetitive - found for nearly £40 a tyre less without really trying.

If they're really cheap, maybe buy the tyres and take them elsewhere for fitting? I wouldn't trust a costco fitter on an AMG wheels, let along my 'normal' E350, but I'm a bit nuts

If they're really cheap, maybe buy the tyres and take them elsewhere for fitting? I wouldn't trust a costco fitter on an AMG wheels, let along my 'normal' E350, but I'm a bit nuts
Unusual comment, Costco’s tyre service is usually considered to be excellent by my own experience and from what I’ve heard elsewhere.

Have you had a particular issue previously?

Unusual comment, Costco’s tyre service is usually considered to be excellent by my own experience and from what I’ve heard elsewhere.

Have you had a particular issue previously?

I have used Costco for tyres a few times, though not recently, the fitters were always 100% (Costco Watford/Bushey) .

They used to have on occasion great deals on Michelin, buy 4 tyres get 1 free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom