New Tyres blistering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mat B

Car
E55 EC800
I purchased some new michelin pilot super sports a few weeks back and have been over the moon with them, till today.
My car was in having a new uprated cooling system and the garage spotted what they described as blistering on my rear tyres.

I didn't get a chance to look at the car on the ramps, so i have taken a few from when i go it home.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
I will be taking them back to the garage i got them from to see where i stand. As surely its a manufacturing imperfection

I seen that happen to the PS2's on the rear of a BMW early this year and some other Mich. couple of years back..

QUOTE:- Another, less severe, form of reversion is blistering. The photo in Fig. 8.18 shows a right-rear tire with a line of blisters around its circumference. Too high cold inflation pressure or too much pressure build-up during use caused the tread to overheat. The heat is generated at the interface between the belt plies and the tread and the rubber melts, causing a local blister.

tireblisteropt.jpg

Did you get the tyres replaced at own cost or did they get replaced under warranty?
I have contacted the tyres dealer and they need to send the tyres off and it takes about 6 weeks for a decision on whether they will pay out. And in the mean time I'm tyres less

I've had issues with goodyear tyres before, where there was a manufacturing defect on the sidewall. I had the tyres on the car for a day and 50miles...I still had to buy another replacement tyre and the damaged one had to be sent off..before I got any compensation.
Most annoying part was that the garage didn't list my mileage when they were installed and stupidly on the report wrote down the cars actual mileage...so I only got 90% offered back until a few phone calls \ emails were made.

Did you get the tyres replaced at own cost or did they get replaced under warranty?
I have contacted the tyres dealer and they need to send the tyres off and it takes about 6 weeks for a decision on whether they will pay out. And in the mean time I'm tyres less

Neither the tyre outfit or manufacturer wanted to know, so replaced them at my own cost with a set of Hankook, will never use Toyo again

I purchased some new michelin pilot super sports a few weeks back and have been over the moon with them, till today.
My car was in having a new uprated cooling system and the garage spotted what they described as blistering on my rear tyres.

I didn't get a chance to look at the car on the ramps, so i have taken a few from when i go it home.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
I will be taking them back to the garage i got them from to see where i stand. As surely its a manufacturing imperfection

never seen that before - definite manufacturing issue - not fit for purpose (at best) & should be swapped (quickly & without argument!)

your claim is against the tyre dealer who fitted them - I would have thought the dealer would have replaced the tyres for you straight away like any other faulty goods purchased from any other retailer. What he does about it is a matter for him and his suppliers.

never seen that before - definite manufacturing issue - not fit for purpose (at best) & should be swapped (quickly & without argument!)

I've seen it loads of times on cars driven hard (not saying thats what the OP been doing) everyones assuming its a manufacturing fault which it probably is but correct procedure is tyre dealer would send them back to manufacturer for examination of cause, not very helpfull if you dont have another set of wheels.

I learnt my lesson never buy tyres from a back street outfit, for all Kwikfits faults my daughters car had a sidewall defect appear about 3 months after the tyre was fitted, when I took it back they immediately replaced it and removed all the other wheels to check the tyres that were fitted at the same time. Great after sales service :thumb:

That was my argument with the place I purchased them from. I bought them from 'you' so I'm dealing with 'you' not your supplier. This fell on dead ears and they are dragging their heels.
I phoned michelin and they confirmed what the procedure is and length of time it takes.
I've have bitten the bullet and purchased some new ones in the hope I get refunded in six weeks.

Last edited:
only ever seen that after doing burnouts on my hayabusa (RIP).

Is it just one tyre or both?

I had the same a front Mich Primacy HP. Turned out it was the AMG rim, not the tyre. Had a hairline crack which was enough to run out of true.

If it is on one side only could be the probelm.

UPDATE

finally heard back from Michelin some 8 or 9 weeks later, and it is not good news for me.
As correctly stated by Grober on this thread Michelin assessed the tyres were over inflated and this is what had caused this. To say i am gutted is an understatement.
I know hand on heard i didn't the tyres were not thrashed and it spend more time n the garage getting parts fitted than i dod driving it (50miles approx on the tyres)

I know I'm clutching at straws but i didn't inflate my tyres too high, it was the refurb company who fitted the tyres.
Do i have leg to stand on or can anyone suggest the next course of action.

many thanks

Hmmmm
My friend bought Michelins for her TT and one of them blew on motorway after two weeks :-0

IIRC they are ‘Bi-Compound’ tyres: centre has a softer compound for wet grip and braking but the shoulders have harder compound to resist wear when cornering.

The wear pattern (if not the unhappy outcome) is what you would expect on a high torque RWD, so maybe having a soft compound in the centre is perhaps not so great in your case

What PSI were you running them at?

Did you purchase fronts as well?

Has the car been out of your sight for any period - Grober's post uses the phrase "in use"?

It is after all a 500bhp rear wheel drive beast - could someone else have been "enjoying" it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom