new tyres for SLK R170

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fyonn

Car
BMW 330d
Well, this afternoon I decided to be a good boy and check my tyre pressures..

okay, okay. so I bought a digital tyre pressure gauge thingum with my petrol this afternoon and I wanted to test it. so I test and pressure all round looks pretty good, a little high at the back maybe but not ouside the bounds of reasonableness.. but I notice that the left rear tyre is in need of replacement, looks pretty light and I can see the little coloured strips that mean you're suposed to go change them (probably).

so I go back with a pen to write down the tyre sizes so I can do some homework and what I get is this:

F: 205/55/R16 91W
R: 225/50/ZR16 92W

seems reasonable I guess? I don't know what the difference between R and ZR is but it all sounds in order...

except that the above figures are for the right hand side, on the left they're backwards... the 225 tyre is at the front and the 205 at the back, probably explains why only one type out of 4 looks markedly worn down. especially with my right foot ;) it will have come from the shop like that, I haven't replaced any tyres yet.

*sigh*

so anyways, my questions:

a) what's a good all weather tyre for a merc SLK R170, something a bit grippier than the pirelli P6000s on now
b) what do I need to do... swap the left side around and then replace the fronts? replace all of them!? am I likely to have done any harm with 5000 miles of driveing on uneven tyres.
c) where's a good place to buy tyres.. would I be vain to think quickfit.. is a merc dealer going to be my best bet, any suggestions.

thanks for looking folks

cheers
dave

Yikes! That's bad news, right way round on one side but not on the other:eek: . But those sizes look bang on. Edna's wheels have been on back to front before, but at least the same front and back.:eek: I find it bizarre that so many places can't see that wheels might be diffrent front to back and don't double check. Anway..............

I Use Michelin Pilot Primacy and have no prob's with them. They're not a bad tyre at all but not cheap. The last full set lasted 26k miles and three years so was happy with that.

I prefer to replace the whole set in one go but then I haven't had any uneven wear to deal with.:D

I also bought mine from Black Circles and then they found a local fitter - who I wouldn't touch with a barge pole again after they got the wheels on the wrong way round. I hear good reports of prices from Costco if you have one local to you.

hth

Those sizes are the same as on my CLK. I had Pirelli on when new, I think probably the same as yours "P6000" and I found that I couldn't get them anylonger (in I think the rear size). So I changed to Continental Sport Contact 2 and they seem fine.

I've also heard that Black Circle are good for prices. I think any tyre fitter of your choice will fit tyres you supply.

Last edited:
This often happens and makes the car handle very poorly. I am suprised you did not notice.

They normally track all over the road.

If you want to check prices and different tyres that are available I use the online sites below:-
http://www.mytyres.net/start.html
http://www.etyres.co.uk/default.asp

For a start they list the supply price delivered to you and you can get them fitted locally for about £10 a wheel with balancing. I tend to look at them before I call the local shop as the shop will push what they can get and or make the most on. When talking to them you can then always ask about one you have seen online to compare the price.

I have bought from Mytyres before with no problems, local shop fitted them and it saved me £50. If you are into that sort of thing they also show a picture of the tyre if you are trying to match tread with another etc.

This often happens ...

I'm amazed - I have the same sizes on my C270 Avantgarde and the wheels look significantly different, not least that the bolt holes are *very* recessed on the 8J rear wheels.

Anyone know why would the OP's rear tyres be ZR's - ZR seems to be meaningless if the tyre also has a W at the end?

Last edited:
I'm surprised Nick didn't notice either. ;) :D :devil:

I'm amazed - I have the same sizes on my C270 Avantgarde and the wheels look significantly different, not least that the bolt holes are *very* recessed on the 8J rear wheels.

well, they look different *now* :)

actually,m it would explain a few handling quibbles I had experiences that I just put down to road surface, or it just being me.

Anyone know why would the OP's rear tyres be ZR's - ZR seems to be meaningless if the tyre also has a W at the end?

yeah, I wondered at that, the R in that position is supposed to mean Radial, so ZR there makes little sense. the W at the end is the speed rating.

so, is my best bet to swap the left side tyres round and the buy a new front pair? a new front singleton? will the rears be okay?

dave

so, is my best bet to swap the left side tyres round and the buy a new front pair? a new front singleton? will the rears be okay?
Whether or not you should replace any of the tyres is basically down to how worn each tyre is. I have a tread depth gauge you can borrow or you could make one yourself from bits of card, string and stick-back plastic :)

Whether or not you should replace any of the tyres is basically down to how worn each tyre is. I have a tread depth gauge you can borrow or you could make one yourself from bits of card, string and stick-back plastic :)

mm.. sticky backed plastic...

well, there's virtually no-one in the office today, so I might go out in a bit and check with a bit of paper measured up to size :)

but back to the original question, once I've corrected the front to back issue, I'll be left with a worn down front wheel. do I need to replace both at the same time?

mm.. sticky backed plastic...

well, there's virtually no-one in the office today, so I might go out in a bit and check with a bit of paper measured up to size :)

but back to the original question, once I've corrected the front to back issue, I'll be left with a worn down front wheel. do I need to replace both at the same time?
No it's not essential that you do, just as long as the tyres are compatible, which is less of an issue these days anyway. You can just replace one. Tbh that's what most people do anyway. It's generally only nutters like us who do full sets, and who are fussy about what they look like etc :D :D

No it's not essential that you do, just as long as the tyres are compatible, which is less of an issue these days anyway. You can just replace one. Tbh that's what most people do anyway. It's generally only nutters like us who do full sets, and who are fussy about what they look like etc :D :D
Yes legally speaking you just need to have four tyres that have the correct tread depth and are of the same type on the same axel. The first time I saw that I assumed that "type" meant that they were the same speed rating etc but actually it means cross-ply/"bias-belted" vs radial! ;)

You need to check the tread wear and make a judgement on whether it's worth replacing one or both, if one is down to 3mm and the other is 6mm then replace just the one tyre.

Please don't buy Pirelli P6000s to replace though, they struggle to grip on dry surfaces let alone wet. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Pirelli tyres but P6000s are basically a fleet-special.

Yes legally speaking you just need to have four tyres that have the correct tread depth and are of the same type on the same axel. The first time I saw that I assumed that "type" meant that they were the same speed rating etc but actually it means cross-ply/"bias-belted" vs radial! ;)

I remember the TV ads from donkeys years ago advising not to mix crossply and radials:D

I use continental Contac sports - I usually replace both on one axle at a time....I get around 18,000 on the rears and around 25,000 on the fronts..if i am lucky

Well, I just measured with a bit of paper. The worn tyres is.. ahh.. in need of replacement fairly quickly, shall we say. I should probably not be waiting on a mail order tyre to appear I think. the other front tyre is just over 3mm, but not by much. so I reckon it's probably wise to replace the pair. the other front will need replacing soon enough, might as well get a matched pair.

the two rear tyres are about 5mm, so they'll do for now, might well need doing by the next service. (of course, ATS or whoever could tell me different.. hope not)

suggestions on a good tyre brand then? I asked my local merc garage over the phone (I wanted to check the tyre sizes were correct, JIC) who said continental B16's, but I can't seem to find which tyre they were referring to (unless I misheard them..)

something sporty as befits a sports car, but preferably something that won't need replacing by christmas :)

conty sportcontacts look okay.

(and no shude, I'm thinking all weather tyres, not a summer/winter combo :) [1] )

[1] nick and I were on holiday in rhodes with our respective GF's a couple of months ago and whilst waiting for a bus with the sun beating down on us, not a cloud in the sky etc, we saw an E class merc taxi with winter tyres on.

do they even sell winter tyres in rhodes?

I suggest that you find a tyre brand/model that is available in both sizes (not always easy) and then buy some fronts. Later when neccessary you should buy some rears to match.

I suggest that you find a tyre brand/model that is available in both sizes (not always easy) and then buy some fronts. Later when neccessary you should buy some rears to match.

contisportcontact 3's seem to fit the bill there, as do contipremiumcontacts

seem a decent choice

contisportcontact 3's seem to fit the bill there, as do contipremiumcontacts

seem a decent choice

which ended up being michelin primacy HP's. oh well, at least the problem is solved now and my car is road legal again :)

which ended up being michelin primacy HP's. oh well, at least the problem is solved now and my car is road legal again :)

Excellent. And does it feel any better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom