New tyres look too cheap!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt's Dad

Car
E320CDI W211
I need a pair of new rear tyres for my E320 CDI, the rear tyres are 265/35/18, and the car came with Federal SS 595 tyres on when I bought it about a year ago, and about 25,000 miles ago (they looked new-ish when I got the car, but obviously don't know how many miles they had done)

I've been happy enough with the Federals, they grip well enough in the dry, can be a bit slippy in the wet, and have a nice look to them - I was thinking of buying a pair of Sport Contact 3's to match the fronts, but noticed they are the same tread pattern as the front and are just straight lines which don't look very grippy to me:confused: I've read on here that the Falken 452's are quite good, but when I looked at the prices, the Sport Contact 3's are about £200, the Falken's about £150, and the Federals are £90!

Part of me is thinking that is too cheap, but the other part of me is thinking, they've been good for the last 25,000 miles! so now I don't know what to buy:eek:

I have Falken 912's all round on my car and they are bloody brilliant, I like to drive my car hard and they have so far never let me down rain or shine, I got the front ones from Camskills which at the time cost me £60 each I then paid another £10 each to get them fitted.

I took them to my local tyre shop and asked him how much a set of 255/35/18 Falken 912's would cost, he first looked at the front tyres and tried to match the fitted price which he was £15 over what I paid so I managed to make a saving there but he found a set for the rear and including fitting equaled to the same price as Camskills, so I got them from him.

It's worth shopping around, look online and then independent tyre shop and see if they could match or better the online prices.

By the way Camskills can do your rears for £112.40 for the 912's and £119.90 for the 452's.

Last edited:
Hello

I bought 265/35/18 and 225/40/18 (think thats right) for my S211 in Falken 452's they worked out around £115 each from memory.

So far they seem very good, good grip in the dry and feel safe in the wet.

but noticed they are the same tread pattern as the front and are just straight lines which don't look very grippy to me:confused:

If only it were that simple :rolleyes:

Compound and construction owe just as much to grip levels as tread pattern, if not more so.

I don't know about the SS 595 but I got some Federal SS-657 tyres for the estate last winter and they're great, especially in snow and ice. Not sure I'd want them on a sports car but I'd buy them again for this one.

Well, I ended up paying a fair bit more and got two Continental Sport Contact 3's to match the two on the front.

I can't believe how mush smoother and quieter the car is! I thought the Federal's were good, but the Conti's feel great!

Too late now but I was going to vote for the Falken 912's as well, every bit as good as the Contis without emptying your wallet. ;)

Russ

Well, I ended up paying a fair bit more and got two Continental Sport Contact 3's to match the two on the front.

I can't believe how mush smoother and quieter the car is! I thought the Federal's were good, but the Conti's feel great!

New tyres are always quiet and feel good.

We use a fair amount of Federal Tyres at work, never once had an issue with them.

Falken ze912 Tyres are brilliant I have them all round and are a good wearing tyre.

I've just got Falken 912's - excellent tyre and also a great price...

They work just as well on "T' Barge". I have them all round, I wasn't going to argue with my local indie for 4 tyres at 200 quid fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom