New Tyres or Partworns. Dunlop or Goodyear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
:bannana: :bannana:
I need to replace my two front tyres. I need help to decide if I should replace the existing Dunlop Sport 9000 245/45/ZR17 with the same again or try part worns or try Eagle F1's.

I saw an ML55 at my local dealer and that had the Dunlops on it and i know that BMW fit the Dunlops on some of the CI coupes but is this because they are the best or simply the cheapest for them.

My main concern is wear, coz i don't want to have to be replacing them regularly.

Thanks

Tan:)

my boss has dunlop sports in 16" he complained that they were noisey and wore out quick..... just his opinion thought i'd share

Tan
I have Dunlop sp9000 on my front wheels, whilst they provide excellent grip in the dry or wet I believe they are a soft compound and so wear v easy. Not so much of a problem at the front however they would wear out v quickly at the rear.
Pete

Peter

What tyres do you use on the rear?

I had my rear tyres replaced with SP 9000's back in september, should these be moved to the front??

I have Asymetric P zeros 245's on the SL

They are excellent in the wet and dry - and seem to be wearing very well at the moment!

Everyone knows the wife moaned about the ride quality - but I think its fine :D

Mark

Tan
I have Goodyears on my rears which are also a soft compound If you can I would suggest trying to get a harder compound for the rears as they take some punishment.
p

Tan,

What car do you have, is it an ML?? If it is I guess rear wear is not going to be as much on an issue to you as it is to many of us!

I have Goodyear F1's, and they seem to be wearing well, and are not showing any signs of "outside edge" wear on the fron yet either.

Generaly car manufacturers choose tryes based on cost to them, tyre companys heavily discount supply to them on the basis many people stick to matching what is on the car when it comes to replacement time. In my opinion, if you are changing just two tyres, this is probibly the best thing to do, if it is a RWD car make sure the new tyres go on the rear, as this should provide the best stability.

If you are replacing just a pair, stick with the match - Dunlop.

If you can afford it splash out, go for a full set of F1's.

if it is a RWD car make sure the new tyres go on the rear, as this should provide the best stability.

Contrary to what many "experts" will tell you, new tyres should always go on the rear, even on a front drive car.

We know why (hopefully) this is on a rear drive car, but it also makes sense on FWD. Having new grippy tyres on the front will make it tuck in better leaving your rear free to break loose, especially if you lift off mid corner. More apparent in wet I suppose. Equally this does not mean you advised to drive with poor front tyres having moved the 10 year old, cracked up ones (becuase they have never worn out and been replaced) from the rear of your FWD car to the front, just because you need to replace the fronts!

Graham,

I am no expert, I had heard that too. It is obviously of more importance with a RWD car.

Tan mentions an ML, not sure if he has one but what's your advice for a 4WD dar like an ML?? I guess that they should wear more consistanly, do you have to replace them in fours?? I remembet reading about a Vovlo V70 AWD, which had a puncture which could not be repaired. The owner bought one new tyre, a few thousand miles later the diff burnt out on it. It was not covered on hit warantee as his tyres were not the same age!! but then again it was a Volvo!

Ha ha I am no expert either! Just read/listen, try and filter out what I believe to be rubbish and pass on what I believe to be good!

Not actually sure what car Tan is talking about either, but.........

My knowledge of the ML's 4wd system is non existent.

I am presuming permanent all wheel drive??

I also understand that on all wheel drive cars the tread depth must not exceed a certain difference between front and rear, otherwise the diff can get damaged due to differing rolling radius.

Don't know what the tolerance is, I think it's quite tight and could not say if this is relavant on an ML for sure.

Yet another reason not to buy a 4 wd , ive heard about having to change a tyres in job lots before . The first one i hard of was a Cavilier GSI2000 he he , the bloke needed 4 new tyres .. bye bye 800 squid :D. Having just had to fork out for a 235/45/zr17 michelin pilot tyre after 2000 miles due to a 3" bolt , yes a 3" bolt went through a brand new tyres tread having to buy to would be really really shit ......

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I always go for michelin for my tyres. ( I got the pirelli p6000 tyres half price i got on the c240 just now :rolleyes: never again !!!! ):D

Put the new tyres on the back then and get some michelin pilot sports for the back.:D

The best tyre deal in the world....

I have eventually got my tyres sorted.

Car sat at home for 4 weeks.

Went for the Dunlop SP9000's again.

I ended up getting my tyres from the AA, althought to start with they wanted around £245 per tyre. Since they had a price match policy, that brought them down to £130 each (Matched a local place) after a little chat with the director of operations. Then for the inconvenience he knocked a further £5 off, a good deal I thought.

They were due to replace the tyres last saturday but they couldn't do it as their supplier was closed. So they came and did them at my office on Monday and to say sorry they GAVE ME A FULL REFUND.

Now i can get my Radar Detector or my Parking Sensors.

Tan :bannana: :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom