New Tyres - Slippy...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpc

Car
2018 S205 C250 AMG LINE PREMIUM D AUTO
Hello,

Am i correct in thinking when new tyres have been fitted it takes a few hundred miles to get the full grip of the tyre, is there some sort of coating that wears off typically with road wear?

I have had new continentals fitted this weekend all round and my car feels really slidy - will this go ove the next few days of use?

That’s been my experience too. I don’t know exactly why, but thankfully they quickly settle down.

New rubber needs some mileage to get rid of the solvents used in making the compound. I used to have problems with tyres on new cars marking the showroom floor because of the solvents being released from the new tyres.

When the tyres are manufactured there will be a release agent used in the mould. It won't take long to wear that off. On a motorcycle where grip is critical to staying upright, I scrub new tyres with soap and water after fitting.

There will also be the mould flashing pips all over the tread which will wear off after some miles.

It shouldn't take more than 100 miles of normal driving to "scrub" the tyres for grip. I've also experienced the lack of expected grip with new tyres but was informed by the tyre shop to take it easy for the said distance.

As 190 said, the manufacturers use a release agent to help with tyre being released from the mould, I agree with w124nut also to certain extent, no more than 100 miles if that. The idea with ‘scrubbing’ new tyres in is not to overload them with spirited driving for the first few miles, again taking into account tarmac temperatures. When I was racing [emoji965] a tyre would be considered scrubbed after one out lap up to temperature, then wind the power on on the second, job done in around 6 miles [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My refurbished wheels with 4 brand new Avon's on were a bit late in coming back which meant the very next day I had a 100 mile trip to attend a family funeral..it was mashing down with rain that day so I took the C55 out into the torrent on unknown tyres and promptly forgot about them within minutes. No issue.

Had the same thing happened on any superbike I have owned I would have been pooping myself. I must say some braking in is desirable but probably not essential, after all 100's of new cars are driven off forecourts every week by people who do not even know where the engine is in their new car let alone whether the tyre need scrubbing in F1 style.

Imagine if they did, the accident rate on day one of new car ownership would be through the roof, their would be a government enquiry !!

...after all 100's of new cars are driven off forecourts every week by people who do not even know where the engine is in their new car let alone whether the tyre need scrubbing in F1 style.

Imagine if they did, the accident rate on day one of new car ownership would be through the roof, their would be a government enquiry !!
Around 10 years ago I picked up a rental car from Alicante airport. It was a brand new Kia Picanto, and I really do mean brand new. The first 20 miles or so were, frankly, terrifying: it was like driving on ice. Once the tyres scrubbed in it was fine. It also revv'ed much more freely after I'd caned it for almost 700 miles, but that's another story ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom