New Tyres - What to buy and will it affect my MB Warranty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsm

Car
GLE350d
I need new rubber on the fronts of my CLS Grand edition.

At the moment I have Continental Sport Contact 3's all round.

The car has warranty until October which I wont renew but will I invalidate my MB warranty now if I change the front tyres to non continentals??

The tyres are 245/40/18 93Y.

Any recommendations?

Local tyre guy has always recommended uniroyal as they last much longer. I tried his methodology and got double the mileage out of a set over pirellis a couple of years ago.

would they work on the CLS?

Wouldn't have thought changing tyres will impact on warranty?!

Check www.tyrereviews.co.uk

Everybody has a view on makes but this should give you a start.

For what it's worth I personally tend to stick to mainstream brands, the likes of Contis, Goodyear, Pirelli etc.

Brand of tyre should not affect warranty, from the higher priced one to the budget makes.

Though what some company's MAY throw a fuss about is the speed and load ratings, especially if you go lower. In the real world it makes next to no difference, but some company's want just any excuse.

Though what some company's MAY throw a fuss about is the speed and load ratings, especially if you go lower. In the real world it makes next to no difference, but some company's want just any excuse.

Like your insurance company not paying out should you need to claim, not to mention the load up when cornering on tyres..

We do get some stupid questions.

Where do you get the water for your washer bottle?

From a tap in the kitchen. Your wife will show you how to work it.

Hope this helps. :D

Care to elaborate? I think it was a valid question. Knowing Porsche I am well aware if you put non N rated tyres on your car your warranty is instantly void!!!

why is mercedes any different?

Care to elaborate? I think it was a valid question. Knowing Porsche I am well aware if you put non N rated tyres on your car your warranty is instantly void!!!

why is mercedes any different?

It would have been more valid had you asked if you didn't fit MO labelled tyres? A more direct comparison with the Porsche N labelled tyre example you give.

It wouldn't BTW.

If you had a warranty, they will tell you that tyres and brake pads aren't covered by warranty and so the answer is no, unless you fit the wrong sizes, they might try and use the get out clause.

If you want tyres that last my suggestion on your car would be to try the Conti Sport Contact but with 97Y rating MO Extra Load). I used this rating on an E500 and it lasted significantly longer than 93Y. These are heavy cars and the extra strength helps withstand this better.

They probably cost a little more (not always) but I think you might find it worth the expense.

If you want tyres that last my suggestion on your car would be to try the Conti Sport Contact but with 97Y rating MO Extra Load). I used this rating on an E500 and it lasted significantly longer than 93Y. These are heavy cars and the extra strength helps withstand this better.

They probably cost a little more (not always) but I think you might find it worth the expense.

Was there any difference in ride quality, out of interest?

Giantvanman said:
Was there any difference in ride quality, out of interest?

None at all that I could ascertain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom