New vacuum cleaner for the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
So I had a Dysan rechargeable cordless vacuum cleaner for the cars, and it worked fine. But it had just enough battery capacity for one a half car, which I found annoying when setting out to clean both cars (mine and the missus').

Living in a flat in London, using our Henry or Dyson with a long extension cord through the window is only feasible when there's a free parking space right in front of our building, so not that great a solution.

I decided to go for the back-to-basic old fashioned 12V cigarette-lighter-type corded vac. This should allow me to take my time while cleaning the cars (the only downside is that the engine needs to be kept running), and as it happens they are also much cheaper than the cordless ones.

Quick look online and this Black & Decker came out favourite:

Order placed with Amazon Prime this morning at 10:27 AM.

Parcel delivered this evening at 6:37 PM.

Same-day delivery... never had that before. I am well happy :)

Sorry to say those cheap hand held vacuums have never been good for me. They lose suction very quickly normally. Hopefully you have better luck than me :)

Last edited:
Sorry to say those cheap hand held vacuums have never been good for me. They lose suction very quickly normally. Hopefully you have better luck than me :)

On the occasion that I did use the 240V vacs on the car, they were indeed much more powerful than the handheld portable Dysan.

As for longevity.... time will tell :)

But I figured that for under 40 quid, it must be worth a try.

So I had a Dysan rechargeable cordless vacuum cleaner for the cars, and it worked fine. But it had just enough battery capacity for one a half car, which I found annoying when setting out to clean both cars (mine and the missus').

Living in a flat in London, using our Henry or Dyson with a long extension cord through the window is only feasible when there's a free parking space right in front of our building, so not that great a solution.

I decided to go for the back-to-basic old fashioned 12V cigarette-lighter-type corded vac. This should allow me to take my time while cleaning the cars (the only downside is that the engine needs to be kept running), and as it happens they are also much cheaper than the cordless ones.

Quick look online and this Black & Decker came out favourite:

Order placed with Amazon Prime this morning at 10:27 AM.

Parcel delivered this evening at 6:37 PM.

Same-day delivery... never had that before. I am well happy :)
I had sold quite a few of those B&Ds and never got a complain. Nice little thing. 👍🏻

I have a porter cable 20V max vacuum. It works of the Porter Cable battery system. I know that Makita , Dewalt and the likes sell the same. If you are using battery powered tools of a particular system, you might want to check into what they offer.

I got the B&D one as I was looking for a convenient cordless solution at the time. But after using a couple of times, I decided to get the Dyson car accessories pack to use with my Dyson Cordless V8. The V8 provides excellent suction perform with long battery life (god know how many cars it will manage).

B&D - My feedback:
  • It's great that I did not have to drag an extension cable from the home, however, you now have to mess around with the cigarette light cable, which completely skipped my mind when I ordered the B&D.
  • It will run off your car battery, so you will either need to start/run the car or be faced with draining your battery down.
  • Suction is ok running off the battery, but you definitely get better performance with the car running.
  • Now I need to get rid of this B&D.

I got the B&D one as I was looking for a convenient cordless solution at the time. But after using a couple of times, I decided to get the Dyson car accessories pack to use with my Dyson Cordless V8. The V8 provides excellent suction perform with long battery life (god know how many cars it will manage).

B&D - My feedback:
  • It's great that I did not have to drag an extension cable from the home, however, you now have to mess around with the cigarette light cable, which completely skipped my mind when I ordered the B&D.
  • It will run off your car battery, so you will either need to start/run the car or be faced with draining your battery down.
  • Suction is ok running off the battery, but you definitely get better performance with the car running.
  • Now I need to get rid of this B&D.

Who knows, I might end-up going back to the cordless Dyson (that has now been borrowed by daughter no. 1).

I use the cordless Dyson to hoover ours. Always manage to get what i need done, that being said the car doesn't get too dirty inside.

So had a go today....

All-in-all I am well pleased, it's a small and lightweight unit with a flexible hose and a very long power cord. Ergonomically well designed and with two type of heads, a long and narrow one and a shorter brush type.

The suction action is good and it is on-par with the portable Dysan (I wasn't expecting it to be as powerful as my 240V units, obviously).

The dust chamber is fully detachable from the the main body containing the motor and electrics, so the entire compartment including the filter can be removed and washed under the tap.

The only thing I didn't fully consider is that using it with the engine running is fine when I am back from a drive and the engine is warm anyway, but if the car is parked in front of the house with a cold engine then you don't really want to idle a cold engine for 15-20 minutes.

But other than that... great little gadget.

good buy you got there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom