New Van Woe, Help request from someone at mercedes in the know

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not - the other thread was started by the same person.

Oops, was it.

I didn't notice, but then don't have the same attachment to Vito threads you do... :)

Look at posts 2 & 3 in this thread ;)

Perhaps it was a bit of a " stretch" to link the damage specifically to that precise location and to blame it on the adjacent building works, but the vehicle has been around some time so there's plenty scope for such damage to have occurred somewhere along the line in other locations also . The problem as described would seem to fit some form of metalworking incident involving hot particles. Could have it occurred in a vehicle body shop via storage in close proximity to welding or partial vehicle dismantling by angle grinder to effect repairs? -just another possibility to consider along with some sort of long term storage problem in a large distribution centre out in the open? :dk:

Perhaps it was a bit of a " stretch" to link the damage specifically to that precise location and to blame it on the adjacent building works, but the vehicle has been around some time so there's plenty scope for such damage to have occurred somewhere along the line in other locations also . The problem as described would seem to fit some form of metalworking incident involving hot particles. Could have it occurred in a vehicle body shop via storage in close proximity to welding or partial vehicle dismantling by angle grinder to effect repairs? -just another possibility to consider along with some sort of long term storage problem in a large distribution centre out in the open? :dk:

^ I agree, This is currently my theory... I have emailed MB customer services to try and find out if it has any available 'history' prior to or post registration. whether they will divulge any information is another.

There are more and more pointers that the van has been repaired. i have noted that the drivers side inner top wing inside the bonnet (under wiper) has been dented, and the wing & headlight on the drivers side arn't fitting as well as the passengers side.

I have ordered an electronic paint thickness tester, and will be testing the whole vehicle, from the results from this and my contact with MB this coming week I will decide whether to involve an independent DEKRA inspector.

Thanks all for your efforts and thoughts so far, I hope to report back when I have some more info!

From the sounds of it there seems a string possibility that the van has been damaged pre-registration and then the spraying over hasn't been done in the correct environment and it's picked up these shaving type things during.

I have ordered an electronic paint thickness tester, and will be testing the whole vehicle, from the results from this and my contact with MB this coming week I will decide whether to involve an independent DEKRA inspector.

You haven't said where you are, I'm sure a member would have measured the paint for you.
If the van has had new panels the paint will show as first coat.

With the new evidence of accident damage I would just reject the van.

From the sounds of it there seems a string possibility that the van has been damaged pre-registration and then the spraying over hasn't been done in the correct environment and it's picked up these shaving type things during.
OP said the particles are embedded in the headlights too, so IMO it must have been exposed to hot debris e.g. from grinding ... can't be just a bad paint job.

Not that I wish to pour cold water over the OP's claim but the dealer may well say 'it was fine when it left us, the OP had the opportunity to inspect it on delivery and it must have happened post delivery.'

Claiming against the dealer two months after delivery may well prove difficult.

My point to Them is that it it wasn't rusty when
I collected it. But you are Right they may well try to wash their hands of it

My point to Them is that it it wasn't rusty when
I collected it.

Surely that doesn't help your case.

Did you not see the particles embedded in the headlights before?

No they are so slight, with the clear lens and all, I think most people would not notice or maybe even care, it is not as concerning to me as the other areas.

UPDATE: No Report Yet. No Information about which recalls are for my vehicle. However, My request for vehicle information Pre/Post registration, has moved on slightly..

I Was called and told that any Warranty repairs were not to be disclosed by MB. the only information i was given was that the vehicle was supplied by Wentworth Park, and i would have to approach them directly for any info they had.

I asked where this was, and what was their phone number, to which i was put on hold for at least a minute, on return told that they did not have a number for them and that i was to call back tomorrow and speak to Hazel for more information.

My own research has brought the following

Located at Wentworth Park, near Barnsley – a stone’s throw from the M1 – the site is now the nerve centre for all of the company’s used vehicle remarketing and sales activities, as well as for its fast-growing driver training services.

Elsewhere, the Approved Used Centre boasts a vast new workshop, where vehicles reaching the end of their lease terms or the subject of buy-back deals are processed. Each goes through a rigorous series of checks and inspections, and is repaired and refurbished where necessary before being sold to retail, trade or export customers – either direct from Wentworth Park or via a franchised dealer.

Vehicle modification and livery departments allow the team at Wentworth Park to turn out Approved Used vehicles to almost any specification demanded by the customer.
Humm.... Interesting

Also 200-209mi from there to the dealership..

Last edited:
also is it normal to have more than one vin/vehicle id sticker stuck on top of the other, i have 3 or 4?

i wouldnt have said it was normal , have you tried peeling them off and see if there are any of them with differenig vin numbers ??? its sounding more and more fishy by the minute isnt it . Have you checked the syamped in VIN to make sure it matches the label ??

Nick

would have thought the van would have only been given its vin number once the specification of the van had been established, i doubt they make them all as basic vans then modify them to customers requests , they should be made on the line to the order spec and then the vin would be assigned once this was done

also is it normal to have more than one vin/vehicle id sticker stuck on top of the other, i have 3 or 4?

Definitely not.

I would ask Mercedes UK to check these out in your presence. Do not tamper with these yourself as they are material evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom