New Van Woe, Help request from someone at mercedes in the know

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Vin number is the chassis number, data card will be the build spec.
Where have you found 3 or 4, that cannot be right.
Just thinking where the Vin is stamped, not the sticky label ?

yeah it matches.... but i guess the other info has changed, for the xenon headlights etc?

would have thought the van would have only been given its vin number once the specification of the van had been established,

The VIN is only categorised for the first six numbers as they are the body type and engine variant.
The only other change is for right or left hand drive. No further additions are recorded in the VIN, they are just attached to the datacard for the VIN.

vin number is the chassis number, data card will be the build spec.
Where have you found 3 or 4, that cannot be right.
Just thinking where the vin is stamped, not the sticky label ?

should also be at the base of the front windscreen?

The data card is the item in question, VIN No. Is consistent with the data card on show. I will prob MB further as to why there are more than one. However Customer service are being a little short and unhelpful with my lines of enquiries..

Update: another week ends and no joy. Tuesday I will be Mailing my notice of recission and demanding a refund less the use I have had. mercedes customer service could not give a toss.

DON'T ask for a refund 'less usage'. That was you are positively inviting the usage deduction to become very close to the purchase price of the vehicle.

What about all the cr@p they have put you through? Full refund of purchase price. Nothing less. In fact you may want to ask for more - for all your wasted time, mileage, etc etc. Not that it will get you anywhere, but at least it will hopefully really pi$$ them off.

Vehicle Rejection Claim is in. I have asked for full refund. waiting game to see what happens next.

my report will not be coming, according to customer service, it is a "more informal reccomendation via email". which turns out to be an "acid wash", when quized about the paint differnces in tone, "this will address the colour difference too" when i asked about the panel alignment and the paint that is falling off the wheels, or the contaminant under the paint or the pitting under the paint, they said that could be looked at whilst the acid wash was being carried out... FFS

anyway F**K it. LOL ho ho Independent inspection here we come!

Perhaps instead of being pre-registered, your van was pre-crashed.

mine was, 13 years later, when I had to get some welding done I noticed that the front cross member was proper crumpled. For 2/3 of the full width the member was pushed in one to two inches.

Mercedes Vito, made by cackhanded and duplicitous buffoons.

grr

Well Well.

I went to an independent accident repairer today who confirmed that the front wing and door (drivers side) have been painted, the alignment is off, and the door has "sprung tension when opened another sign that it has had a "knock". He said it was a pretty crap attempt at a repair and laughed.

with this confirmed I drove directly to the supplying dealer and met with the manager and area manager who were due to have a meeting about the van as luck would have it.

Upon inspection they immediately accepted my issues and offered to source me a replacement vehicle.

so I have accepted the offer at this time, unless they cant find me a similar spec vehicle...

so to recap in my experience customer services are a bunch of tosspots, and allways go straight to the dealer, speak to the manager..

Hopefully this will end up resolved soon. Thank you to everyone who has had an input.

The metallic particles have been confirmed by the independent as "Grinder particles, industrial fall out, Rail dust etc" and were quite confident that they could resolve it. so brownie points to those who pointed this out at first!

Last edited:
I'm still curious about the VIN stickers.

Good result, hope they sort you out with a new vehicle soon.

Well Well.

I went to an independent accident repairer today who confirmed that the front wing and door (drivers side) have been painted, the alignment is off, and the door has "sprung tension when opened another sign that it has had a "knock". He said it was a pretty crap attempt at a repair and laughed.

with this confirmed I drove directly to the supplying dealer and met with the manager and area manager who were due to have a meeting about the van as luck would have it.

Upon inspection they immediately accepted my issues and offered to source me a replacement vehicle.

so I have accepted the offer at this time, unless they cant find me a similar spec vehicle...

so to recap in my experience customer services are a bunch of tosspots, and allways go straight to the dealer, speak to the manager..

Hopefully this will end up resolved soon. Thank you to everyone who has had an input.

The metallic particles have been confirmed by the independent as "Grinder particles, industrial fall out, Rail dust etc" and were quite confident that they could resolve it. so brownie points to those who pointed this out at first!

So as usual Customer Service is actually the Company Defending department... Good outcome OP. Hope they are paying for the inspection too.

just accepted this van in replacement of my poop van.

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Good spec too. (shame about the deadlocks but at least its secure :) )

Were those deadlocks fitted by drilling the painted panel, if so has it been well treated so stop rust?

Have the dealer or bodyshop perform a paint depth reading before you accept the van as described.

Hopefully this one is as it should be. Watch that chrome trim on the tailgate - above the number plate - see ringway's thread.

After a few visits to the dealership with my tailgate rust claim, their excuses and wriggling were becoming quite irritating.
This weeks offering was that the problem had arisen due to industrial fallout (it can happen, but wasn't the case here).

"Do you know what industrial fallout is, sir?"
Feathers slightly ruffled at the thought of them trying to blind me with science, I said "Yes.... But that's about as relevant here as Chernobyl Fallout, which is why I always keep my zip closed." :rolleyes:

Blank look from the guy at the dealership. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom