new volkswagen engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
my father has just ordered a golf with the new 1400cc turbo supercharged engine.the same power output as the 2000cc 4motion engine..
is this the way forward small engines but turbo supercharged..sounds good to me .

Its the way forward in my opinion, you get a nice power spread too cause the supercharger gives power from idle till its electromagnetic clutch cuts it out and the turbo takes over giving high end power.

Its a throw back to the G40 for VW though, similar idea minus the turbo, 1272cc giving 113bhp and better performance than the mk2 8v GTI, back then VAG saw small supercharged engines as the way forward, three basic engine designs were used in conjunction with two G-Lader charger designs (40mm charger chamber and 60mm charger chamber hence G40 and G60) these were used on Polo's in the 40mm (and more reliable form) on a 1.3 and 60mm on Passat's Golf's and Corrado's on a 1.8, the Golf Rallye also used the G60 although it had a revised block design with a slightly larger capacity over the others hence the 3 engine designs used the idea didnt really catch on with the public and G lader powered engines were dropped from production in 92.

The initial idea was to phase supercharged engines into all VAG cars lineups as opposed to larger engined models.

Sorry, it appears that I have rambled a little :eek:

The new Golfs GT's basic block design is the same as the G40's, plenty of scope for retrofitting that to lots of old VAG cars, way back to the Audi 50, also means its tried and tested technology, always a good thing.

mercmanuk said:
my father has just ordered a golf with the new 1400cc turbo supercharged engine.the same power output as the 2000cc 4motion engine..
is this the way forward small engines but turbo supercharged..sounds good to me .

Bet it wont sound as well as a 55amg :D I remember the Lancia Delta S4 tear-arsing through Dalby forest with Henry Toivenan driving! sorry I digress, the reason was because the Lancia had both a super charger and a turbo in 1985. So much for progress!!

david55amg said:
So much for progress!!

Maybe so, but at least the Volkswagen wont be rusting in a few years time............ :p

david55amg said:
Bet it wont sound as well as a 55amg :D

Probably quite true, although I think you will find the Golf is aimed at a slightly different market ;)

How much is it to change the cambelt? I guestimate £600+VAT..or does it have a chain?

ddentrec said:
How much is it to change the cambelt? I guestimate £600+VAT..or does it have a chain?

036_001.jpg

That should answer your question.

Last edited:
I am rubbing my eyes with disbelief: a real CHAIN at last! No more $%^&*( cambelts changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom