New W204 200CDI Sport Due on Friday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matthewr

Hi all,

I'm due to take delivery of my C Class 200CDI Auto Sport on Friday. It will be my first version of the C Class since my C240 I had back in 2001 (the 'bug eyed' version). I also had a CLK 200 after that and then went over to the 'dark side' by leasing a BMW 335d!

However my wise and sensible side has bought me back to a good old Merc!

After all of that I realise that the 200CDI Auto isn't going to be the fastest pick of the bunch and even though i'm not a speed demon (well I might have been in the 335d but not anymore!), I would still like to increase and get a better response. Therefore I wondered if anyone would be able to recommend a company who could retune the ECU for better performance?

I've looked around and had good feedback about a company called ChippedUp, however its good to get recommendations from anyone who has used them or a similar company. I am in Berkshire so would welcome any companies near this area.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Firstly, why go for the lowest of the lowly 200CDi and then want more from it? Surely the 220 would have been a better bet? Or better still the 280/320??

As for 'bug eyed' version of the C Class - what the heck is that about???!!! I think the 203 C Class looks pretty good and if you want 'bug eyed' you should look at a certain car built by Morgan......

Hi kwakdonut

firstly apologies for saying 'bug eyed'. To be honest I couldn't remember the model number and yes I think they look good too, hence the reason I had one as this model came out. I've also potentially looked at a second hand version before going for this new model.

Secondly the model i've gone for... being honest i've just returned from spending 11 months in OZ and am trying to settle back down in the UK, the recession hit me quite badly and I am still picking up the peices. Hence the reason i've gone from a 57 plate BMW 335d A M Sport to a Mercedes 200CDI. Don't get me wrong I had a choice of either a BMW or Merc and went for the Merc because of my past experience. The 200CDI as opposed to the 220CDI? mainly because this was faster to get and cheaper! Hopefully with the potential re-map of the ECU it might get up to a similar performance of a 220CDI.

I have had a fair bit of experience with diesel tuning. Couple of years ago I went for a E280 CDI, but with a re-map it was just as quick, more frugal and sweeter than a 320. (Oh, and I saved £2k)
The two companys I would recomend from personal experience are G C L tuning and Superchips. (Google them!)
Enjoy your W204:D

Thanks for the info Mactech, I'll contact them both and see whatthey can do for me.

Hi kwakdonut

firstly apologies for saying 'bug eyed'. To be honest I couldn't remember the model number and yes I think they look good too, hence the reason I had one as this model came out. I've also potentially looked at a second hand version before going for this new model.

Secondly the model i've gone for... being honest i've just returned from spending 11 months in OZ and am trying to settle back down in the UK, the recession hit me quite badly and I am still picking up the peices. Hence the reason i've gone from a 57 plate BMW 335d A M Sport to a Mercedes 200CDI. Don't get me wrong I had a choice of either a BMW or Merc and went for the Merc because of my past experience. The 200CDI as opposed to the 220CDI? mainly because this was faster to get and cheaper! Hopefully with the potential re-map of the ECU it might get up to a similar performance of a 220CDI.

Well, you certainly are not alone in being recession-hit! I had to part with my much loved C270 earlier in the year. Really enjoyed it and will soon be on the look out for an E320 CDi.

I like the new C Class but am somewhat confused by certain choices people make regarding the car they buy then what they do with it afterwards!

Am obviously a little more clued up now as to why you went for this particular car but to be honest, I would have gone for the 220 and waited a bit longer! The price difference is surely not that much and a decent remap/chip is going to set you back what, £400/£500?

Good luck anyway and am envious that you can still afford to buy new and take the depreciation hit...... :D

Thanks Kwakdonut, maybe the 220 would have been a better bet but its done now. The re-map should bring it up to something around the 170bhp mark which will be well enough for me at the moment.

Good luck with the E320 CDI

Thanks Kwakdonut, maybe the 220 would have been a better bet but its done now. The re-map should bring it up to something around the 170bhp mark which will be well enough for me at the moment.

Good luck with the E320 CDI

Remember your insurance will also rise disproportionately. The C200 is no rocketship but ample for UK roads and tbh I'd just leave it standard and enjoy it for the nice car that it is.

True ***, I guess I will have to make that decision once I drive the car. If its ample already I won't bother re-mapping it.

I guess this is a stupid question but any idea how much extra premium an insurance company will charge for a modified car?

Insurance is dependant on many factors but you will look at a loading of what, 5-10%?

The current 4 cyl diesel is an absolute peach apparently so I would certainly give it a chance first before you start tweaking!!!

I looked into this in some depth when buying my W204 C220CDi.

The insurance premium more than doubled. Also, the issue over warranty cropped up and after some discussion with MB themselves, only the Brabus chip wouldnt affect any warranty claims.

If i remember, there was also issues with the ability of the gearbox to handle the extra BHP, but I think that was when increasing it to 220BHP. The C220 already has 170BHP so I guess you'd be ok with that kind of increase.

Definately look at the warranty issue though, you may find that kills it for you - it did for me.

Some insurance companies wont even touch a modified car...so do check with your insurer first..

I too am confused why you didn't just go for the C220 cdi.

The extra £1000 when taking into account the cost of tuning, the extra insurance and any worries regarding warranty may have been the cheaper option.

As some know, I had previously a C320 Cdi that I fitted the Brabus D6 pack to.

A little box, not much bigger than 2 packs of ciggies, all done by MB and fully warranted. Gave the beast a boost of 48 bhp and a whole 80 Nm of torque, bringing the total upto 272 bhp and 590 Nm of torque.

Great performance boost and about 10% better fuel economy.... cost was £1499 back in 2007 for this.

Insurance, Direct Line, was ok to quote and accept the additional but at a cost.

The two things they ask for is:

1. Cost of the Brabus kit/box/chip/remap
2. Increase in % on bhp

Cost went up about 74% - only on the actual insurance element, not breakdown, protective NCB or legal fees etc.

Cost for this in my case was only about an additional yearly premium of £100.

But my god, did the car go. Never a problem, engine was mote muted as well + gave me a BIG grin everytime I put the foot down.

Even kept up with some supercars (ie RS4 and the like). An M3 tried once....no chance (not the usual 0-60 but in-gear was phenomenal!).

Hello

Not being funny but even a C200cdi will probably do nearly twice the legal limit.

If I were you go on an advance driving course and use what you have to its full advantage while being more aware at whats round you.

I've had much quicker cars than my current ML but still can bob along quite nicely thank you, its reading the road and being use to your car.

Enjoy the new car

Hello

Not being funny but even a C200cdi will probably do nearly twice the legal limit.

If I were you go on an advance driving course and use what you have to its full advantage while being more aware at whats round you.

I've had much quicker cars than my current ML but still can bob along quite nicely thank you, its reading the road and being use to your car.

Enjoy the new car

I agree, but with me, it was more the acceleration I was wanting. But, the C220 is a vast improvement on my old C200, which I have to say, was pretty b****y slow.

Hi all,

thanks for all the comments, I think the main one seems to be a case of giving the car a chance first of all before I look to re-map. I guess coming from a BMW 335d which had been professionally re-mapped to 338Bhp, I need to realise that this is quite a step down in performance. However I'd like to feel its a step up as far as quality and comfort is concerned!

The BMW was fast and when I say fast it was lightning! It had an autobox which had been modifed to chage faster too so the 0-60 acceleration was awesome. Problem was that runflat tyres aren't cheap! And neither is diesel! Enough said I think!

I'm looking forward to getting the car and looking forward to driving it.. lets face it I have a much better chance of making it to my next birthday than I did in the Beemer!

thanks again guys, I'll let you know what the cars like next week.

Hi mate

Just read your discussions and Im doing exactly the same! due delivery of my new C200 sport on tuesday and will give it a few weeks but have been searching for a chip to increase torque and power. Been looking at racechip and superchips but superchips want to take the ECU apart to do it and will take a whole day! racechip is a plug in box you can do yourself. Have you chipped yours yet?

I'm waiting for Sept 25th for mine. Originally went for the C250 saloon, but then realised that I could get the c220cdi estate with a few toys for much the same money. You'll enjoy it anyway, but can't understand why superchips want to take the ECU apart when all they do is re-programme it through the diagnostic port. I'm leaving mine as standard power -wise because of concerns over warranty, though have had both my existing vehicle (the name I won't mention here but it's been good reliable transport for 90K miles) and my motorhome remapped to great effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom