New "W204" C-Class grills....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
I shall probably be lambasted by my fellow members for this, but I'd just like to see if I'm alone on this one....

With it's Elegance spec'ed cars, the new C-Class saloon and estate has the "correct" grill, with bonnet-mounted star.
But why now are they offering the Sport model (Avantgarde to forgien neighbours) with a "star" grill.

In my opinion, it just looks wrong! On the coupes, the roadsters, the 4x4s and the small hatches,the star in the grill looks perfectly fine, but not on a saloon.
On past saloon models, it's been associated with a cheap mod. I know some proper tuners replaced the bonnets with an SEC-type grill - I have to admit I don't like these either.

So why are Mercedes now putting this type of grill on their saloons?

Even the C63 has this grill - if I bought a one, the grill would have to changed! :eek: (I did actually ask my local dealer if it was possible to change the grill on a C63, to which they replied "Yes, but why would you want to do that?" And then they informed me it would cost £1,500 to do it! :eek:

Am I the only one who believes this grill just looks wrong? :eek:

Darren

I don't mind the Grill on the C class sports, but I would miss the star on the front I have to say.

I know of someone who bought a C class Elegance, and she hated the badge that stuck out, said it was really annoying so changed the grill to a sports one. It seems that MB with this model are trying to attract as many buyers by offering as much choice over the car as possible.

I think since Mercedes have designed the star incorporated from scratch, it works well. The aftermarket ones do look wrong on the older models. I like both styles for different reasons. Star on the bonnet is elegant, star in the grille is sportier...would be even better if they offered both that you could interchange depending on mood!

Isn't it nice that one has the choice...with or without....star on bonnet:D

I agree.

The Sport grill is just a bit too big, loud and vulgar: it is 'look at me - Jack the Lad'. The next thing MB will introduce are those bling Audi christmas lights. Then perhaps wheel spinners. :D Presence is a curious thing: If you need to prove it you probably didn't never had it in the first place.

I certainly prefer the small star on the bonnet. Far more tasteful and discrete. It's not about ostentatious adolescent display.

I am Mercedes-Benz, right? Or is that just the marketing guff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YAtljsldg

Fortunately I have a choice as to where the star is when I'm driving a Merc.

If I take my car it's standing proud on top of the bonnet, ready to line up any pesky beemers that get in my way.

Or I take my wifes CLK and benefit from reduced wind resistance and improved mpg. Not.

It's not about ostentatious adolescent display.

They use this with the SL - the most pumped up of the range now - very aggressive styling...star in the grille of course.
The range uses harder, aggressive lines contrasting the softer lines of the previous years. Take a new AMG S-Class - quite shouty I think. (star on bonnet)

Why would it cost £1500 - does that involve a replacement bonnet or something?

Nope, just to line their pockets.

I put it down to the salesman being so astounded I was asking him such a dreadful question, that he plucked a figure from his head. That, or he's been asked so many times ;)

I say this because he didn't actually check with anyone....:rolleyes:

Darren

I once got quoted £4700 to have a full bose system installed in my car, when the audi DEALER charged £350 :), they are thieving b*stards. Also i think that c-class sport grill looks fine on new models... but looks SO chavvy when people try to add it to older cars (on my c class it would look dreadful lol). I think the SEC had it by default tho, and it did suit it to be fair.

The grill is likely under £100, the bonnet ornament is now about £15.

It is a straight-swap as we checked at length on another thread :)

Heres what it looks like with a 'standard' grill,

AMG (Sport) kit, with the standard grill: (Looks great IMO)

DSC06336.jpg

(Still lacking the upright star though)

Last edited:
I think the SEC had it by default tho, and it did suit it to be fair.

The SEC was one of the classic coupes, so it does look great.
I meant that I didn't like the other models which were converted to an SEC-type bonnet and grill....namely the W124s and W201s of the the time :)

Darren

How about having both?

AMG (Sport) kit, with the standard grill: (Looks great IMO)

(Still lacking the upright star though)

Now that looks good.

I'd prefer the upright star, but the Elegance grill with AMG body kit looks good! :rock:

I like those Renntech wheels, too :cool:

Darren

I have wondered what the C63 would look like with an elegance grille. Any photoshop warriors want to mock one up? (with star)

I have wondered what the C63 would look like with an elegance grille. Any photoshop warriors want to mock one up? (with star)

Doubt its possible to have that combo as the C63 has a different grill to the 'Sport'.

Possible on PS though :)

Doubt its possible to have that combo as the C63 has a different grill to the 'Sport'.

Possible on PS though :)
The bonnet is the same though, so the grill could probably be swapped with a standard one with little issue.

The bonnet is the same though.

[Pedantic]They are not, the C63 has power bulges[/Pedantic] :p :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom