New W212 E63s Estate owner - questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S212E63s

Car
W212 Estate E63s
Hello,

After many years of barious BMWs I’ve decided to try a Mercedes. I’ve just bought a grey E63s W212 estate. I do very few miles a year, 4-5k so just wanted something I can use as an all rounder and didn’t care too much about the existing miles on the car. I’ve settled for one that has high 50’s k. I intend to keep it for a couple of years.

The previous owner had made a few cosmetic mods that I thought looked a bit non OEM so I’m just having some of these reversed. Namely original grill, chrome trims and badges instead of his maimed black. He or she also had the window surrounds painted black, however these have started to bubble so I’m having these replaced with black OEM items. Although these were not fitted standard the car has night pack so it will look in keeping if they remain black. I’m also replacing the roof bars with back OEM items. As the chrome donn’t look quite right in my opinion.

I’ll post a picture in a second.

Anyway. I have a couple of new owner questions I would appreciate your thoughts......

The MCT gearbox isn’t the smoothest in the world. Where I notice this most is when I’m at a very slow crawling speed slowing to a halt. When I do there seems to be a very slight judder in the drive train that I feel through the brake peddle. Is this normal, or perhaps something I should look into? Perhaps it’s the brakes?

The ride isn’t the best in the world. Just checking whether anyone has had the springs/shocks replaced at this stage in the cars life and noticed an improvement? I suspect they are all like this though. Also the suspension is a little bit clonky, I don’t think there’s an issue with it, I just think it’s a little noisy on poorly surfaced London roads.

I’m thinking of taking the car to Mercedes to have all the software updated including the nav. The car has some independent history so I’m not precious about using Mercedes. Do independents have access to software updates or must I use a proper dealer?

Tyres; I’m about to fit staggered Alpins for winter on a second set of OEM rims. I’m on Pirelli summer tyres. I read somewhere that Goodyear may offer a better ride for summer tyres. Any thoughts from anyone?

DAB Radio. This only holds the signal for seconds at a time, goes quiet then reacquires a signal a few seconds later. Apparemtly there is a UK Mercedes fix, something about the frequencies setting being wrong for the UK in The supplied tuner. Does anyone know exactly what to ask the dealer for please?

Other than the above I’m liking the car a lot. It’s fun as a reasonably comfy bus for mooching around in. It has a decent spec, just missing Distronic and 360 cam. Appreciate any thoughts and insights you can provide to the above.

Many thanks.

Have the bits you want black wrapped. It will look perfect and nobody will be able to tell.

First of all, welcome to MBClub and E63 ownership :thumb:

The MCT gearbox isn’t the smoothest in the world. Where I notice this most is when I’m at a very slow crawling speed slowing to a halt. When I do there seems to be a very slight judder in the drive train that I feel through the brake peddle. Is this normal, or perhaps something I should look into? Perhaps it’s the brakes?
There will be a characteristic light vibration when initially applying throttle from crawling speed - for example as you open the throttle after making a slow left turn - but not normally as you slow to a halt. Could be brakes, or could be the start-up clutch disengaging. How prominent is it and at what sort of frequency?
The ride isn’t the best in the world. Just checking whether anyone has had the springs/shocks replaced at this stage in the cars life and noticed an improvement? I suspect they are all like this though. Also the suspension is a little bit clonky, I don’t think there’s an issue with it, I just think it’s a little noisy on poorly surfaced London roads.
Clonks aren't normal. Could be any number of bushes worn, so worth getting checked.
I’m thinking of taking the car to Mercedes to have all the software updated including the nav. The car has some independent history so I’m not precious about using Mercedes. Do independents have access to software updates or must I use a proper dealer?
Yes, the best indies do have access to the correct software and can carry out the updates, but also see below regarding your DAB problem.
Tyres; I’m about to fit staggered Alpins for winter on a second set of OEM rims. I’m on Pirelli summer tyres. I read somewhere that Goodyear may offer a better ride for summer tyres. Any thoughts from anyone?
Personally I run the same size PA4's front and rear on my E63's standard rims through the winter which has the advantage that I can swap them front to rear to even out wear, but if you're mounting them on a second set of rims you may as well go staggered.

For summer, I've found that Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's are a better bet than either the Pirelli P Zeros (noisy plus hopeless in cold wet conditions when even moderately worn) and Conti 5P's (much better grip than the Pirellis in cold wet conditions and their equal in summer, but just as noisy). Performance of the Goodyear's is excellent in all but the worst winter weather when you'll be on PA4's anyway, wear rate is very good and they are noticeably quieter than both the Pirelli's and Conti's.
DAB Radio. This only holds the signal for seconds at a time, goes quiet then reacquires a signal a few seconds later. Apparemtly there is a UK Mercedes fix, something about the frequencies setting being wrong for the UK in The supplied tuner. Does anyone know exactly what to ask the dealer for please?
Talk with Richard or Alfie at COMAND Online who will also be able to update your Navigation and other software.

hi and welcome to the forum

Welcome. Very nice motor. @st13phil has hopefully answered your questions. As he suggests, wrapping the window trims may be a cheaper option but, as the paint has blistered, may need rubbing down first.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

The car is already at the shop for the new black window trims. Totally understand that a wrap would do the trick but I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist with fitting OEM parts. I'll post another pick when complete. Not that you'll be able to notice a great deal of difference but the black roof rails will at least be new.

I'll investigate with the MCT when the car's back from the body shop. The slight judder is definitely when stopping from a slow speed so maybe I'll need to have it looked at by an expert. If anyone can recommend someone that would be appreciated.

Suspension/ride: I had a rethink about this when driving this morning. Saying it 'clonks' is too strong. The ride just isn't very smooth. It's an improvement on the M4 comp pack I had previously but I had hoped for a more compliant set up. Again maybe I'll need to get this looked into.

Tyres: thanks for a the good year recommendation. I'll definitely give these a go a when I switch back to summer tyres.

Software/DAB: I'll be contacting CommandUk tomorrow, thanks.

Another couple of quick questions if I may:

Should the USB socket in the armrest enable an iPhone to work with full iphone functionality without using bluetooth? or is it just for charging and iPod connectivity?

Whilst the car is at the body shop I was going to add the AMG badge into the front grill that become a feature from 2015 or so. Is the AMG badge the same for the E63 and E63s?

Many thanks

Re the USB socket: No, it won't give you full functionality with an iPhone. Instead you need a Media Interface lead - once again, COMAND Online will be able to assist.

The AMG badge between the grill bars is the same on standard and "s" models.

Re the USB socket: No, it won't give you full functionality with an iPhone. Instead you need a Media Interface lead - once again, COMAND Online will be able to assist.

The AMG badge between the grill bars is the same on standard and "s" models.

Many thanks, badge on order!

The MCT is jerky at low speeds and can be more prominent in S and S+. Regardless of which setting you are in, in slow traffic or normal driving on 30mph roads, the MCT will upshift through the gears from 1st to 4th too quickly and leaves you feeling like you are in too high a gear. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is almost instant and catches you out.

Can be improved with software updates and the good old reset based on driving styles.

Enjoy the car.

The MI Cable you need for your iphone is part number A0038270904, I just bought a replacement one from MB Grangemouth £45.04 incl VAT, their number is 01324 686002 or email [email protected]

Welcome....lovely car.

Doesn't look a great deal different but now with black roof rails.....

Attachments

• IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    951.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: E39
The MI Cable you need for your iphone is part number A0038270904, I just bought a replacement one from MB Grangemouth £45.04 incl VAT, their number is 01324 686002 or email [email protected]

Thanks. Do you know if it's possible to connect the iPhone and an iPod at the same time? Or do I need to use the MI Cable for both and there's only one socket for that?

One NTG question that I'm hoping someone may know the answer to:

I have NTG 4.5. It has internet but this does't work with my iPhone. Something that I've read about online to verify.

Is the only option for to use the in car internet with my iPhone to physically upgrade the system to NTG 4.7?

In BMW's I liked and used the option to look up addresses on google maps on the phone and send them as destinations to the car. Also, the ability to look up a business on google maps on the navigation and then accept them it as a destination was useful. Unfortunately navigation does seem to be an area where Mercedes are behind the curve compared to BMW, whether it be a 2013 or 2018 car.

Thanks. Do you know if it's possible to connect the iPhone and an iPod at the same time? Or do I need to use the MI Cable for both and there's only one socket for that?
One device one MI socket I’m afraid

One NTG question that I'm hoping someone may know the answer to:

I have NTG 4.5. It has internet but this does't work with my iPhone. Something that I've read about online to verify.

Is the only option for to use the in car internet with my iPhone to physically upgrade the system to NTG 4.7?
Hmm...

I’ve had both NTG4.5 and 4.7 systems and both hooked up to the internet via my iPhone. Can’t remember how I made it work on 4.5, but on 4.7 I have to enable the personal hotspot on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal hotspot is the way to get your SMS messages read to you - suppose it might do other things too?
I can Bluetooth my music from the iPhone but it doesn’t have the full functions unless you use the MI cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom