New w220 s500 owner - no 5th gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo2312

Car
W220 S500 AMG sport
Hi All

Ive just purchased a nice w220 S500 amg sport with 94k on the clock, but need some help as the car wont shift into 5th gear.
When at 70 was sitting at just over 3k rpm, kickdown does not work and unable to select gears manually through gearstick.
Ive had the codes read and got p2502 - gear is implausible or the transmission is slipping.
Any ideas what it could be?
Ive read about the electrical connector for 722.6 gearbox, I think the gearbox is overdue a service by looks at it which I will get done.

On a separate note on my 200 mile trip home, on 2 or 3 occasions car gave out some white smoke from the exhaust for around 30-60 seconds??
Checked all fluids, oil and coolant all seem good, so hope its not a head gasket, what else could it be?
not done anything for last 2 days, car was parked up for about a month if that helps.

Thanks

Mo

Sorry to be the bearer but thats not a good code to have.

Did you buy from a dealer or private?

A transmission service may help but once that code is registered, it normally means internal parts are worn.

Is that the only code?

The white smoke - are we talking thick clouds or just a little?

Could be an oil leak somewhere dripping onto exhaust. You would normally smell this though.

Head gaskets arent a common failure and very unlikely.

That's not great news then.
I got it private.
That's the only code the car throws up.
I've cleared it and that one keeps returning, there are no error lights on the dash.

Are you thinking a new gearbox or rebuild?
would the conductor plate cause that?
In terms of the smoke, initially was thick, then last 2 times was small clouds.
I've read head gasket are uncommon failures, i've orders a coolant test kit to see it any exhaust gasses in the system, but oil and coolant is totwllly clear of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear implausible means an electrical problem.If it is a mechanical damage it will break 1 or 2 gear first,because they have all the tension from the engine.

If the fluid is at right level and nice color.

Electrical problems:
1.TCU
2.solenoid valve in transmission
3.transmission electrical valve
4.plastic wire hose under transmission
5.damaged wires TCU -->transmission
6.valve body

Mo2312 said:
That's not great news then. I got it private. That's the only code the car throws up. I've cleared it and that one keeps returning, there are no error lights on the dash. Are you thinking a new gearbox or rebuild? would the conductor plate cause that? In terms of the smoke, initially was thick, then last 2 times was small clouds. I've read head gasket are uncommon failures, i've orders a coolant test kit to see it any exhaust gasses in the system, but oil and coolant is totwllly clear of oil. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the car come from Cornwall?

im going to order a dipstick to check oil level and condition, what color should the oil be?
i've ordered the round electrical connector too and will swap that over

You should have taken it to PCS before buying to do a PPI on it.

Unless of course you got it seriously cheap...

i got a very good deal on it and i live in notts, so drove car back here

Was it working fine when you took it for a test drive?

I wonder if the owner knew the car had an issue.

it was a built up area, got the car up to around 45 and seemed ok, everything else on the car was fine

Was it working fine when you took it for a test drive?

I wonder if the owner knew the car had an issue.

3k rpm sitting at 70mph on the maiden voyage seems very high. I'd be surprised if the owner didn't know about it.

3k rpm sitting at 70mph on the maiden voyage seems very high. I'd be surprised if the owner didn't know about it.

it was 3k at 60
i'm sure he must have known
my car to fix now, little annoyed

just about to order the dipstick, is it 120cm?? or shorter one?

I wish you luck with the car and hopefully you can get it sorted for not much money!

Thanks johneboy, will keep you updated with how i get on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom