New wheel tyre combination on W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boomy79

Car
W211 E500
Hi all,

Having just bought a W211 E500, I'm thinking of upgrading the 18" AMG wheels to some 19" Momo ones. This also means a tyre change. So could you let me know your thoughts on going up to 19" on ride comfort, and what would be the tyre commendations? I've read loads of reviews ranging from "dont' buy anything other than Michellin Pilot Sports" to "Uni-royal rainsport 3s are the best tyres you'll ever need on the car". Keen to hear views.

Cheers all,

Dan

I had a211 E500 with 18s like yours . They really suit the car both in design and size. 19s will likely worsen the wonderful airmatic ride. I changed my wifes SL from 17s to 18s and it literally ruined it. If you do decide for whatever reason to do it go for Goodyear AS or Dunlop maxx rt . They are both quiet and comfortable (with good grip) and should to some extent mitigate against the rim increase.

I had a211 E500 with 18s like yours . They really suit the car both in design and size. 19s will likely worsen the wonderful airmatic ride. I changed my wifes SL from 17s to 18s and it literally ruined it. If you do decide for whatever reason to do it go for Goodyear AS or Dunlop maxx rt . They are both quiet and comfortable (with good grip) and should to some extent mitigate against the rim increase.
That's interesting thanks! So you'd say just leave as is?

It's purely a personal choice; years ago I test drove several Es with 17/18/19 before ordering. 19" was not my first choice, although the sales rep was keen to stress the 'improved looks'. If you search, there are also numerous reports of cracked 19" wheels on our super-smooth world-beating highways.

However, there will be others who praise the 19" wheels, so there's no definitive answer.

It's purely a personal choice; years ago I test drove several Es with 17/18/19 before ordering. 19" was not my first choice, although the sales rep was keen to stress the 'improved looks'. If you search, there are also numerous reports of cracked 19" wheels on our super-smooth world-beating highways.

However, there will be others who praise the 19" wheels, so there's no definitive answer.
Cheers Tony. Definitely think I'm going to hold off and live with the car for a little bit before rushing to make any changes. Any recommendations on the tyres?

Every 19 " AMG on my cls 55 has a crack in it. always the inside rim. I'm a pretty careful driver but its a well known AMG weakness at least for that era.

Cheers Tony. Definitely think I'm going to hold off and live with the car for a little bit before rushing to make any changes. Any recommendations on the tyres?
Uh oh , someone mentioned tyres :eek: .
Do you just drive around London or does the car venture out to faster roads ?

Tyres, aha, that's a can of worms :D. As W1ghty says, depends on intenred use (and budget). There are many variables, ie run-flat, extra-load rating, winter, all-season, summer that you'll have hundreds of different views expressed.

For my MBs I've stayed with Michelin or Continental for about 20 years and am happy with either. Uniroyal Rainsports have a good reputation in the TVR community and I might give them a try next time (on my TVR), however, my understanding is that the tyre walls are slightly 'softer' and whilst that suits the light sportscar, I can't comment on what they're like on a heavier car as I haven't tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom