New wheels.

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by John, Apr 23, 2014.

1. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    Well, with thanks to another forum member, I have now a set of AMG IIIs fitted.

I used some man maths to weigh up buying new OEM wheel rear tyres and having them all refurbed against this set.

They have rubbed a couple of times at the rear in certain scenarios (speed bumps / raised roundabouts) so I think 275s will be required next time.

It's taken me a while to get used to them in terms of looks - I'm not sure I was all that struck to start with but they have warmed on me now.

This is despite seeing them on developer's old W211 estate and liking them originally.

I know this is not the first E55K to get them - someone on here had a silver E55K with them a while back (A7VHY?).

I will move them on should I decide against them or the 275 thing doesn't work out but in the meantime:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55
    They look good. I forgot how your car looked John - for whatever reason I thought it was blue? This colour is great. Gunmetal wheels would look nice too.

1 person likes this.
  3. furlong19

furlong19 Member

Car:
    W211 E63 AMG
    very nice! makes the car more youthful, would you consider changing the colour?

1 person likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    Would I consider changing the colour of the car or wheels?

I did think about changing the wheel colour but I quite like the contrast.

I saw black cars with black wheels when looking into these wheels and it's a bit too much... well black for me. I figured the same would be the case with grey.

If someone is bored with PS, maybe they could edit an image and post up with similar grey wheels if they can be rsed?

I've no plans to change the colour of the car. I've not seen another one this colour in the UK - only W210s so I quite like the rarity...

5. gunning

gunning Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Porsche 911 / FFRR
    Those wheels look spot on! Can't fault them! I think silver suits the black . I think you should keep them that way!

1 person likes this.
  6. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    Wheels look great on the car, silver is best and they will not rub with correct tyres.
    275/30/19 rear
    245/35/19 front

1 person likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    When I first saw the car on AT, I thought it was black Charlie - it is in fact Tektite Grey but it always looks black in the Avatar and most people think it is until they see it in the flesh (like me).

V12 - I just stuck some new fronts on it at the OEM width and they are fine it seems.

However, I will switch to those sizes next time. They will be lower profile too as those are the profiles I am running now on wider tyres.

:thumb:

8. simon1966

simon1966 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 ESTATE S211 (2004)
    Looking good John:thumb:

Keep the colour as is, its a good contrast with your body colour.

Are they CLS fitment or SL/E fitment? CLS fitment will push the fronts out by 5mm and the rears by 3mm compared. It doesn't sound much but 's does make a big difference. My new wheels are ET32 and I have Goodyear Asymmetric 2's in 275/30/19 tyres fitted. The rears clear the arches with about 1mm to spare and I do mean 1mm!! I wouldn't be able to run 285's without them rubbing when my car is slightly lowered.

There is a fair bit more clearance on the front.

1 person likes this.
  9. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    wheels look great, don't change the color

1 person likes this.
  10. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55
    This or a tad darker would work as well:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. karozza

karozza Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL55 AMG/C180 K
    Looks great as is; great combination!

I love the way they fit the arches, are you using any spacers??

1 person likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    Out of interest - do you know for sure these tyre sizes will not rub or are they a 'best chance you've got of them not rubbing' do you know?

They are CLS fitment so 25 Front 28 Rear I believe. Mine is not lowered at all, and whilst I am considering an LM, it wont be until these are sorted if I do keep them!

I've only heard and felt the rears rub - I guess if the front was loaded up and / or really hard cornering might get them but the front arches are higher than the rear which I think is affording me some grace! I only just bought the fronts (I fkd up there a bit on the sizes - should have done my research first) so will see how they go.

If I can find someone to buy the front tyres (new Bridgestone Potenzas) and part worn rears (also Bridgey Ps) - I could probably fit the right tyres sooner. Will see.

You're right actually - I do like them like that. I think black with black, grey with grey etc. is too much - but there is still some contrast there with an off-silver.

No. That's the beauty of W219 CLS fitment on a W211 E because they don't (I'm not keen on using spacers myself).

13. mabz

mabz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1998 bmw 840 ci sport
    that looks really nice, never paid much attention to newer mercedes but this e55 looks swish...... off to check values now haha

1 person likes this.
  14. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    Just fab - I think AMG III's are the best :thumb:.

1 person likes this.
  15. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    Have fitted several sets of 19" CLS and SL wheels to W211s. Those tyre sizes are factory correct and have been fine for all cars with no rubbing apart from 1.

1 person likes this.
  16. TDE1

TDE1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB & BMW
    That's a nice look, John :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    Cheers Tim.

I've been well and truly bitten by the mod bug. I kept saying I never would and look - new wheels... soon to get Kleemanns fitted and doing the pulley and remap.

:rolleyes:

I blame Acid and other such E55K owners on here.

:D

I've had it 3 years now and maybe the status quo was starting to get a bit stale. Cheaper than changing cars (well, changing to something to better the old girl which would be very expensive).

I can't see me parting with it even though I didn't think I'd have it for long. Yes, there are quicker things on the road and flashier things - but the relatively plain appearance mixed with the awesome power and comfortable-cruiser-ability is spot on.

I paid over book for it but I've kept it in the condition I bought it in and I think it has done alright.

Great cars.

18. OP
    OP
    John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    That could be the thing where tyres are 275 but actually measure something different...

Hopefully will resolve it. If not, I will be refurbing the old wheels methinks!

19. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C43 W202 Project, Mercedes ML350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
    Looks very nice!

1 person likes this.
  20. evdok

evdok Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
    A nice E63 boot spoiler should look nice;)

Tags: