New Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Hello everyone. I posted a thread in General Discussion about several mods I have a liking for one of which is new wheels/tyres and the other Comand there were some others all of which I think best to split into the correct categories any way, as usual, i'm waffling, to the point. C200 coupe, 2003, silver. It has the Evolutiuon wheels 17" 7.5J 225/45 front and rear I believe they are called Alshain? 7 spoke. I can get a pair of the same style 17" but 8.5J 245/40 for the rears and leave the fronts as is to leave what I understand to be an offset/staggered look. Alternatively I can opt for a full set of AMG style III five spoke 18" with 225 front and 255 rear. First things first, is the attaching of an AMG accessory to a non- AMG engined car frowned on? if not would 18" wheels look too OTT on the car I have and which tyres from experience do you suggest?. I dont mind a slight increase in road noise and understand that going from 225 to 245 or 255 I will notice a change what I hate though is tyres which "tramline" every tarmac seam. Lastly, if I go with my first option do I really have to fit the same make and model on the rear as is on the front (Michelin Pilot Sport) as the handbook states to prevent upsetting the ABS ESP etc. Oh, and one last ask. I read somewhere that increasing wheel size, i.e. more metal/less rubber but wider, can affect steering/handling/performance/braking, can it?

portzy said:
First things first, is the attaching of an AMG accessory to a non- AMG engined car frowned on? if not would 18" wheels look too OTT on the car I have and which tyres from experience do you suggest?. I dont mind a slight increase in road noise and understand that going from 225 to 245 or 255 . Lastly, if I go with my first option do I really have to fit the same make and model on the rear as is on the front (Michelin Pilot Sport) as the handbook states to prevent upsetting the ABS ESP etc. Oh, and one last ask. I read somewhere that increasing wheel size, i.e. more metal/less rubber but wider, can affect steering/handling/performance/braking, can it?

1) I have a w202 c230k with AMG 17" alloys 7.5J 225/45 front and
8.5J 245/40 rear style 2 . I bought the car directly from MB and it was one of their company cars and came fitted with the AMG alloys. If its was good enough for them...
2) My personal opinion 18" is too big. 17" would look better.
3) Everyone seems to have a favourite tyre. Mine are continentals, and whilst they do make a fair bit of noise, they have lasted me 40,000 miles. Yes they are relatively hard - and wear well, but (I think) their hardness generates the noise. A softer less hard wearing tyre would probably be easier on the ears, but not last as long.
4) Less rubber / more wheel makes it easier to turn corners faster as tyre cannot deform so much. However, I suspect you might feel the lumps and bumps more (less tyre to deform) even though suspension does most of this. However, I prefer harder suspension and larger wheels as it makes me more careful and aware of the lumps and bumps.
My 2p worth.
Rgds
Les

Have you considered swapping yours for a set of 15inch advantgarde wheels, they give a nice soft ride. In fact Ideven swap if you were keen..........

17in is fine 18ins is too much, too firm, too much tramlining. AMG 17s staggered setup would look cool! IMHO

Thanks DITTRICH and R2D2. I thought 18"s may be a touch OTT. Were you serious about the 15"s?, we're sometimes a bit slow In Yorkshire. That said should I persue the AMG route then the present 17"s may become available. Is there a performance/braking penalty? and does a tyre mix front/rear really affect your ABS and ESP?

What would be the ideal size of alloy wheels for a W124. Which size would compliment this model and not look to boy racerish, but add some class to the car??

Which would be the best style of alloys aswell, Avant Garde, AMG A Line??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom