New Windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass this morning after picking up a huge chip (approx 20mm) from a stone thrown up from a pot hole last week.

Looks to be a nice and neat job - OEM screen picked up from the dealer this morning by the fitter. I was surprised to see that all the sensors were bonded the screen as supplied, so no problems with lining up, obscuring, etc.

Everything seems to be working OK, so nice to give some positive feedback.

Good to hear praise for a job well done rather than the opposite .

I have a chip, but im avoiding changing it because I was told that they wouldn't always use OEM, is this true?

There's OEM and the genuine article. The story goes the glass companies produce the screens for premium brands with the manufacturers branding on and they go to the factory and then produce more with their own branding on to supply the likes of Autoglass.

Like most car parts there are only a handful of companies actually making the bits that go to produce all the different cars.

There are also cheapo copies produced but they tend to be for more mass market cars that make it worthwhile doing.

There's OEM and the genuine article. The story goes the glass companies produce the screens for premium brands with the manufacturers branding on and they go to the factory and then produce more with their own branding on to supply the likes of Autoglass.

Like most car parts there are only a handful of companies actually making the bits that go to produce all the different cars.

There are also cheapo copies produced but they tend to be for more mass market cars that make it worthwhile doing.

As above I guess Autoglass is the way to go.

Just a quick update - took it out last night and everything performed perfectly, no leaks, etc.

Job well done :)

Just check your insurance policy to see exactly what it says about glass, they started with forcing people to use these one stop all make body repairers and now they've realised they can do the same with windscreens, many will they only cover it if you go to...

On the flip side I've had two windscreens fitted on different cars by Autoglass, one on a Fiat and one on a BMW, and they were both OEM and top quality but with the glass manufacturer logos not with the car manufacturer logos, as I hopefully explained in my post above, that isn't what OEM means.

did you go to one of their sites or was it a mobile installation at home?

did you go to one of their sites or was it a mobile installation at home?

It was a mobile install at home - I live out in the sticks and am too busy at the mo to take out half a day to get a screen done at their place. Thinking back, I don't think I've ever been to their place - always at home or in the office.

Fitter had a pop-up cover in a roofbox, so even if it was raining he could have fitted (as long as it wasn't blowing a gale) - I asked as the forecast wasn't looking too good when I booked it, but in the end it was quite nice out anyway.

I used Autoglass on several occasions, and found that - as with most large firms in almost any sector - it's a bit of a mixed bag i.e. sometimes you get a good fitter and sometimes a not-as-good one.

So well done to AG on this occasion, may they have more fitters like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom