New winter tyres review...

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Mercy1, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    Anyone interested in an up to date WINTER tyre comparison may be interested in this week's Autoexpress. Tyres on test are Contis, Goodyear, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook, Vredestein, Nankang and Dunlop - including a comparison with a summer tyre...

10 people like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    ...sorry, left Kumho off the list (but if you have bought them, you won't want to know anyway!!:dk:)

3. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    The new Dunlops look like a very good overall package.

4. PXW

PXW MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance
    Yes, was tempted by those based on the good results for their predecessor, but with no independent test results available at the time I ordered, I went for the Conti TS830s.

5. Stratman

Stratman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    It's here.

Do bear in mind the test was done "With the help of Continental", whose tyres by sheer coincidence scored 100/100 :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    6 people like this.
  6. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A205 C220d
    Of the winter tyres: Best 100, worst 93.5.

So were all those tyres much of a muchness or were the tests not able to differentiate between a premium and budget winter tyre?

What I mean is, the way budget tyres are spoken about I would have expected them to have been significantly worse, but 7% is slight in my view.

Conclusion: Budget winter tyres are as safe as all season tyres OR All season tyres are as dangerous as budget winter tyres ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    ...and in snow all are a sight better than summers...:thumb:

8. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Not really any surprises to be honest, 4 good quality winter tyres at the top, budget winter tyre (Nankang) way behind amongst the all seasons which are jack of all trades, masters of none.

And bringing up the rear, the summer tyre with a positively lethal score of 60 compared to the 90 - 100 the rest scored.

Russ

9. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    No Vredestein TRUE winter tyre just their "all season" No Nokians either and where is the Michelin Alpin 4 individual review? Mmmmmm.:rolleyes:

10. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A205 C220d
    Russ: Interesting conclusions you make. I'm not trying to say who's right or wrong here. But when you say the Nankang is way behind at 93.5, at what score would you say it would be near enough to be comparable to the premium tyres? I interpreted 7% as quite a narrow spread of results.

I was also supervised how close the all season tyres were to the winter tyres.

I'd go further and say there is probably a greater variation in driver skill in snow conditions than senn in those tyre tests.

1 person likes this.
  11. Troon

Troon MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A big one
    Haven't we just wound down a thread on "discussing" the merits of winter tyres? Let's not start that again.

Good to see the Hankook's do well. I've just had those fitted, and am looking forward to trying them out in the snow. They seem very noisy, but I think I've got suspension problems that may be to blame - certainly worn ball joints and a leaky caster arm bush. Incidentally, the unseasonal heatwave we had at the end of September was directly caused by me switching to all-season tyres...

12. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Although 7% sounds close, this is the reality of such a small percentage,
    Nankang review,

"While it was better than the summer Conti on the snow handling track – at least it made it round – it didn’t offer the grip of the other winter tyres, with the nose easily pushing wide and wheels spinning under acceleration.There was a similar lack of grip in the wet,"

The summers at 60% could not even complete a lap, defeated by the first slope.

Russ

1 person likes this.
  13. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A205 C220d
    It seems the words are more telling than the scores alone. I think Autoexpress need to revise their scoring system or make the words match the flavour of the scores.

1 person likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    The Michelin Alpin 4 was there and placed 4th. There is more detail on individual reviews in the mag than there is on the website.

My own conclusion from the survey is that some winter tyres fared better than others in demanding tests (as you would expect), but the percentage difference was not that great, and they were ALL far superior to summer tyres where it will matter... snow braking, snow traction and snow handling.

So it ought to follow that in the white stuff all of us with winter tyres of whatever make will be pretty impressed!!:dk:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  15. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:

I have seen winter tests where they have stated that the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme would have been the recommended choice but due to the difficulty of sourcing them they could only recommend tyres which were readily available.

Also seen a few tests for Michelin Alpins and Nokians GR2's which were only given average marks for snow, so no guarantee that they would have scored higher either.

Russ

16. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    One thing missing from the survey are the prices! While these have perhaps have no influence on tyre performance they may heavily influence purchase. E.g. would you buy an "adequate" performance [ i.e. by definition far superior to any summer tyre] winter tyre over a "top" performer winter if it was half the price [ and looking at Mytyres that's not that far off an approximation ] sort of law of diminishing returns arguement? :dk:

17. moonloops

moonloops MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    Now you know not to always trust magazine tests/reviews. I bet continental had a few big adverts in that edition of auto express :thumb:

18. GP801

GP801 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    No ad in my copy but there is for Vredestein.
    Just this week sourced winter tyres for the SLK. It was unusable in the snow last year and I have a spare set of wheels. Could only find 2 types in the right sizes Kumho at £438 fitted or Dunlop at £720 + fitting. The car does very few miles but is vital for my wife's work in the NHS. Went with the Kumhos on the basis that they may not be the greatest winter tyres they will be vastly better than the summer tyres were last year.
    Interestingly the CLK was fine last year running on the same size summer tyres.

19. OP
    OP
    Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    Why would they bother, with free publicity across 12 pages :dk: ??

For what it's worth, the website version is only a summary. The mag version does quote all the prices.

20. Stratman

Stratman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    You can get the full test, including the price for a 225/45R17, by clicking on the individual tyre names in the pale blue box top right :thumb:

1 person likes this.