New Year Honours

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Pontoneer, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    2 people like this.
  2. rifiki

rifiki Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    clk 280 Ponton 190
    Have signed.

3. jotter22

jotter22 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
    Would think the gent would want it without a petition?...And rightly so!

Tony.

4. lisa110rry

lisa110rry Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
    At first I mis-read what you had written, Pontoneer. I thought you had omitted a word and the gentleman himself had turned down the Honour. (And if that had been the case, at 95, it would have been his choice but this is clearly not the case.) I've signed.

Especially as a woman in our village has been given an MBE for involving herself for 18 years with the local primary and high school governors. (Basically you can read that as: "she's wealthy enough not to need to work and likes to swan around the village and poke her nose into things".)

5. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I feel that it somehow takes away the "honour" part when people have to stand up and ask for it (in this case by signing a petition). I have signed and do hope that he is recognised. In a time where "celebrity" on it's own, warrants an honour. I feel it shows a lack of insight and research on the part of those, who's role it is to nominate and select who gets honoured. It seems to me to have no grasp on reality and no meaning to anybody apart from those who are being honoured - deserving or not.

6. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Unfortunately those who served in Bomber Command were consistently passed over for recognition for decades because there was much hand-wringing post WWII over the civilian destruction that they had wrought. When recognition did finally come it all seemed a bit grudging and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't just an extension of that policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Scott_F

Scott_F Hardcore MB Enthusiast

[​IMG]

This photo is courtesy of Wikipedia and was taken at RAF Scampton a couple of months after the dams raid and shows "Johnny" Johnson (seated far left) and his crew.

Being a colour image makes it quite unusual and the quality is extraordinary. There is so much detail - from their rolled-down woollen socks to the sandbag lying to the right. You can almost feel the breeze in the summer grass as they look into the camera lens.

The sky is very dramatic too - even though it's July it's dark with a heavy sense of foreboding. Maybe there was an operation on that night.

A very evocative image that could have been taken yesterday - yet only one very old man is still with us.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    bes1110, Codger49, Tim203 and 7 others like this.
  8. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    ^ marvellous.

9. OP
    OP
    Pontoneer

Car:
  10. Wheelsnuts

Wheelsnuts Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W246
    I have signed. Unbelievable that the honour should not have been awarded to one so deserving and to represent the sacrifices made by his former colleagues when the likes of Ken Dodd and his ilk are knighted. Not that I have anything against Doddy but there is no comparison in terms of service to the country and civilisation in general. I really had hoped that this antipathy towards the heros who served in Bomber Command had ended.

1 person likes this.
  11. Taff814

Taff814 Active Member

Car:
    C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Auto
    Signed. Ex-Dambuster myself but more recent 91-98

2 people like this.
  12. TheFoX

TheFoX Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS 350 CDI Sport
    I signed the petition not because I think Johnny deserves it more than anyone else, but because Johnny is representative of a small group of people who go beyond the call of duty to perform acts of bravery in the most adverse conditions, whereas Jimmy Saville just performed acts.

It seems strange that people in entertainment who just use their charisma to make them rich can more or less demand a title, while those of us from normal lives and who go beyond what we would reasonably expect are overlooked time and time again.

Giving Johnny this Knighthood would go a long way to redressing the balance, where ordinary people who commit acts of bravery are outnumbered by people who are successful business people or who sell millions of songs.

I can't think of anything more deserving than someone going into a situation where the chances of coming home again are slim to zero.

13. OP
    OP
    Pontoneer

Car:
    In days of olde , knighthoods were bestowed on people who bravely fought for King and country - isn't this exactly what Johnny and his brave comrades did ?

14. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    Exactly right Pontoneer.

Signed, with thanks and humility.

15. OP
    OP
    Pontoneer

Car:
    I see Nigel Farage has recently signed :confused:

Now past 180000 signatures - wouldn't it be great if we could get to a million ?

16. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    As mentioned in the other thread he's the last surviving British crew member from the raid but AFAIK there is still one alive in Canada as well!

1 person likes this.
  17. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Indeed. And it's possible there is still some stigma attached to this particular mission as ultimately 1,600 civilians and allied POWs died for minimal gain other than propaganda/morale boosting.

Which of course has nothing to do with the bravery of the aircrew involved (50+ of whom died as well).

18. TheFoX

TheFoX Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS 350 CDI Sport
    Considering how close we came to crumbling under the weight of the Luftwaffe campaign, all we really had was morale boosting. In fact, if it wasn't for Hitler changing his campaign directives, we would surely have crumbled.

War is never good, and many innocents on both sides of the fence will suffer. Leaders don't care about the impact of their actions on mankind, as long as they achieve what they set out to pursue.

As with all campaigns, the leaders dictate while the rest of us, such as 'Johnny' Johnson are expected to perform beyond what is natural. At the end of the day, when the war is won, and lives have been lost, it is us lot that suffer, while our leaders pat themselves on the back and award each other with platitudes.

In other words, the bloke in charge takes the credit while the grunts remain nameless, and when a grunt does rise above anonymity, the establishment smothers him.

There are only two heroes in this world. The politician and the Celebrity (pop stars, football stars and movie stars). The rest of us don't count, and if we do achieve our fifteen minutes of fame, The Celebs and Politicians don't like it, because we are stealing their limelight.

19. OP
    OP
    Pontoneer

Car:
    If we go down the route of looking at civilian casualties of a single mission , I rather think the dam busting raids will pale into insignificance alongside the Americans dropping the atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki .

I wonder if those airmen are viewed as heroes over there , although they did undoubtedly shorten the war .

20. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    The aircrew were there to carry out the orders of President Truman, it was his decision to deploy Nuclear weapons that shortened the war.

If there is a need to label someone "Hero" or "Villain" then surely it is he?

Tags: