New Years day is great for a run.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
I decided against staying up for the bells and drinking last night, as I was tired from work and decided to go out for a reasonably early drive as the weather forcast was favourable, and i'd feel an idiot for not taking advantage of when the roads would be quiet.

It was excellent, no cars in sight. I left Helensburgh and headed up Loch Lomand, then over the rest and be thankful pass, and continued along to inverarry. I turned off here and headed over to Dalmally and headed down to Tyndrum (Scumbag will know what I am on about) and down towards Loch lomand and home again.

The skies were blue, the roads were deserted (and I didn't speed) but had a whale of a time. The E class can really handle a twisty road and the comfort on offer was excellent. However there is virtually no fuel in the tank now (it was 3/8s full) when I left and I need to get to work tomorrow, will petrol stations be open tomorrow AM or will I have to take the train? I don't regret it as the drive was so much fun:D

Anyway, I put this up as it was a nice, but very different way to see in 2009. How did others on here see in 09 and how did they celebrate it.

Filling stations will be open in the morning.
That sounds like a nice morning out just for the fun of it when there is no traffic, haven't done that for ages.
I've been out on my bike this morning an the roads are a lot quieter than they were on Christmas day, though there are quite a number of ramblers out walking.
Had to be a bit careful as the roads are icy in places as we've only just broken the big zero, what's it like 'up North'.?

Filling stations will be open in the morning.
That sounds like a nice morning out just for the fun of it when there is no traffic, haven't done that for ages.
I've been out on my bike this morning an the roads are a lot quieter than they were on Christmas day, though there are quite a number of ramblers out walking.
Had to be a bit careful as the roads are icy in places as we've only just broken the big zero, what's it like 'up North'.?

There are none open today, but I think they will be open tomorrow, I sure hope so anyway.

It was minus 2 when I left, and I had to defrost the windows - a kettle and boiling water saw to that :D. There was a little ice on the bits of road that were in the shade (no sun to melt it) and I had to take care on the down hill section of the road towards Dalmally (coming from Inverarry as there was that "shine" you get on the road). Visible frost was present on some of the roads as well, but there were no RWD moments. I wish I had taken some pics or videos as it was a great morning out.

I left the house about 9:30 and got in a couple of hours ago. It was getting busier and some the car parks were filling with people out for a spot of hill walking (my old man is one of them - he has gone out for a climb). The temperature is 2 above freezing when I got in.

It was worth the early rise to get out there and enjoy the roads, they are so good up here and when its quiet its magic. I wouldn't fancy tackling them on a bike, some of them get quite steep :crazy:

The road either direction to rest and be thankful is just one of the best drives for scenery in the UK. Makes my drive here, after visiting the barbarians who live down south, such a pleasure.

And that road from Inveray, when the frost is covering everything is possibly worth dying for.

I often get people saying to me, when they head here, that you should drive to Stirling, then across, as it avoids the horrible road between Crianlarich and Lock Lomond, and when heading back down south, you should do the same to avoid the traffic in Glasgow.

well to all those who think thats the best way, you keep on driving those roads thanks, saves us meeting traffic on the better roads that we all know.

To give you an idea, The first services on the M73 from my home are 111miles the way I go, and around 2-2.20mins. If you go via Stirling, its 135miles and 2-2.20mins. You choose.

Will, here its cold, but no clouds and sunshine. the sea appears to be glass at the moment although the local canoeists have made a few waves.

And quite why the horns on the boats were making noises at exactly "just after 12:37am" precisely, I have no idea.

there was no traffic moving about here until about 10am this morning.

Last edited:
Hmm...must make another trip to Scotland this year, me thinks..
Went impromptu about 3 years ago and it was great..but bloody full...
I'd take my bike now though, just to flatten some of those molehills you've got...

The road either direction to rest and be thankful is just one of the best drives for scenery in the UK. Makes my drive here, after visiting the barbarians who live down south, such a pleasure.

You're right, heading out of Arrochar you could see all the way down Loch Long, even the oil station at Finnart was well defined due to clarity on the skye. I haven't been down Loche Fyne @ winter for ages, but heading too inverarry along the road, the lack of vegitation made the view from the road much better @ summer.

And that road from Inveray, when the frost is covering everything is possibly worth dying for.

Seconded, its a really involving road, and the view on to Loch Awe was brilliant. I love travelling on it on either direction. My favourite stretch has to be from Dalmally towards Tyndrum, the dips and corners + the decent visability make it a brilliant road to "just go and drive on".

I often get people saying to me, when they head here, that you should drive to Stirling, then across, as it avoids the horrible road between Crianlarich and Lock Lomond, and when heading back down south, you should do the same to avoid the traffic in Glasgow.

well to all those who think thats the best way, you keep on driving those roads thanks, saves us meeting traffic on the better roads that we all know.

To give you an idea, The first services on the M73 from my home are 111miles the way I go, and around 2-2.20mins. If you go via Stirling, its 135miles and 2-2.20mins. You choose.

Will, here its cold, but no clouds and sunshine. the sea appears to be glass at the moment although the local canoeists have made a few waves.

And quite why the horns on the boats were making noises at exactly "just after 12:37am" precisely, I have no idea.

there was no traffic moving about here until about 10am this morning.

You're right and they are wrong. Heading up Loch Lomand is a nicer way home than the Stirling option. Although I quite like the run from Callander up towards tyndrum but there are multiple ways to where you are that are nicer still, but are lengthier than the Tarbert to Crianlarich option. You could spruce that run up (but by adding time) is to head out to Aberfoyle, and take the dukes pass over to Kilmahog. The dukes pass is a national treasure IMHO :D

1) You could head up Loch Lomand, over the rest and be thankful, head on to Lochgilphead and over by Loch Melford. Its a lovely run, but with winter ice maybe a tad dicy.

2) the inverrary option again but go over that great road to Dalmally, then turn right and continue. I suspect that if there is traffic i.e. a coach on the road from Tarbert to Crianlarach this is the quickest option.

Hmm...must make another trip to Scotland this year, me thinks..
Went impromptu about 3 years ago and it was great..but bloody full...
I'd take my bike now though, just to flatten some of those molehills you've got...

Combine it with one of our GTGs - they're FUN. My post above should give you an appetite for how good driving (and cycling can be) up here. Avoid the school holiday months, and aim for May or September/October if its a driving/outdoors trip you're after.

It gets really good really far north, (think north of inverness and around Ft William) :D

1) You could head up Loch Lomand, over the rest and be thankful, head on to Lochgilphead and over by Loch Melford. Its a lovely run, but with winter ice maybe a tad dicy.

Yes, very good road. being boring, inveray to Lochgilphead is 22miles and lochgilphead to here is 38, Inveray to here is 39. So that makes it about £3 in satan fuel longer.

And the Lochgilphead road to Oban floods pretty good, I still have water sloshing about in the fog lamps, from one of the trips down there, when I managed to get the water over the bonnet of the car. I had to turn back that day.

If I make it to the GTG in a few weeks you will see what I mean.

They are almost finished with a road from Oban to Ft William for bikes. I really do need to get on mind and get some of the expanding waistline brought under control.

havn't ventured out today, I would still be over the limit I think.

Yes, very good road. being boring, inveray to Lochgilphead is 22miles and lochgilphead to here is 38, Inveray to here is 39. So that makes it about £3 in satan fuel longer.

And the Lochgilphead road to Oban floods pretty good, I still have water sloshing about in the fog lamps, from one of the trips down there, when I managed to get the water over the bonnet of the car. I had to turn back that day.

If I make it to the GTG in a few weeks you will see what I mean.

£3 for a really great drive is cheap. However a flooded engine bay woud deter me, I've only done that run in summer time but liked the road very much.

You've just reminded me, I better call the riverside place in stirling and book it for us so we have a place to eat for the GTG

Last edited:
Quickest way to a cracked windscreen!!! Try using lukewarm water instead.....:D

I do use water from the hot tap, but thats because I am cheap and the hot water is already in the tank where as a kettle needing 4p worth or leccy of something.

Take care of the pennies and the pounds look after themselves......apparently.

Would it crack a windscreen? I can see if you slung the water at it, you may get a reaction, but if you were to pour it on the ice gently? Am not volunteering to try it either, just wondering.

£3 for a really great drive is cheap. However a flooded engine bay woud deter me, I've only done that run in summer time but liked the road very much.

well it was the 27th July when it happened.

having recently thrown away the air in take on this heap, I found it is quite cleverly designed, The actual air goes through an opening, but is taken into a tube which is at the top of the opening, so if you move through water, it would not get into the intake tube. Unless you really made an effort and drove fast enough to force the water in, which would destroy the front of your car really.

The day I went through the bit that came over the bonnet, and the Bow wave was at bonnet level for about 20ft, the car was working pretty hard to just crawl. Then I had to go back through it, as I knew I could not go further coz the road beyond was deeper under the water.

I am convinced water got on the clutch. It slipped and did not like drive for about 20metres after the water in both directions when I changed gear.

well it was the 27th July when it happened.

having recently thrown away the air in take on this heap, I found it is quite cleverly designed, The actual air goes through an opening, but is taken into a tube which is at the top of the opening, so if you move through water, it would not get into the intake tube. Unless you really made an effort and drove fast enough to force the water in, which would destroy the front of your car really.

The day I went through the bit that came over the bonnet, and the Bow wave was at bonnet level for about 20ft, the car was working pretty hard to just crawl. Then I had to go back through it, as I knew I could not go further coz the road beyond was deeper under the water.

I am convinced water got on the clutch. It slipped and did not like drive for about 20metres after the water in both directions when I changed gear.

Bloody H. July is a wet month (actually all 12 are) up here. The road dips a lot so in a hollow I could imagine water could build up.

Were any of the electrics knackered. I know of a similar incident whick killed an MG ZR electics.

Last edited:
I had not made it as far as Kilmicheal Glassary. That was the next bit of civilisation after where the road was resembling a loch. There is a castle (ruin) where I was between floods.

nice flat bit of road. The FORD turning was a particularly spectacular flooded area, was a barged my way through, which gave me an idea it was about to get bad. i was about 200m from there when it became interesting!

that car did not have any problems, apart from the clutch issue which was momentary. The fog lights have water in them. Never use the fog lights anyway, they don't seem to do much other than light up the bumper.

When I got to Kilmelford, I stopped, rang the legal department as thats where i was meant to be, and after that had a look under the bonnet. Its quite well sealed, so the only way water would have go in, would be to force its way through the radiator, or around the shield under the engine. The battery and some leccy looking bits are forward of the air filter, and had no dampness nor any sign of water on them. The engine cover als had not a trace of water.

I have a leak in the rear of the car which I first found about 3 weeks ago, and felt it may have been from that day. It isnt' is the window carrier seal that is not sealed high enough up the door to stop water getting in when it rains. This is not really that much of a problem apart from the holes in the door don't let the water out as fast as the rain round here lets in it, so once I work out how to get the window handle off the damn thing, more sealant will be added and it should go away.

Last edited:
Route to Scotland

I am driving up to Scotland (Torridon Achnasheen) at the end of this month from Somerset and have been given two routes, one via theaa and the other from tomtom. Is it best to go via Inverness or should I stay to the western side of Scotland?

I hear that there is a glut of malt whisky up there and as "johnny foreigner" I would like to help the locals out. :bannana:

They are almost finished with a road from Oban to Ft William for bikes. I really do need to get on mind and get some of the expanding waistline brought under control.

havn't ventured out today, I would still be over the limit I think.

Crikey, you can pedal that fast.?....;)

Last edited:
I am driving up to Scotland (Torridon Achnasheen) at the end of this month from Somerset and have been given two routes, one via theaa and the other from tomtom. Is it best to go via Inverness or should I stay to the western side of Scotland?

I hear that there is a glut of malt whisky up there and as "johnny foreigner" I would like to help the locals out. :bannana:

The quickest way is to go up the A9 to Inverness and head over to Torridon via Achnasheen by going by Kinchlochewe -this is the route I'd go by if I was in a hurry, the road down from Achnasheen to Kinclochewe has been refurbished and has brilliant turns. The whole run in fact from Inverness northwards is good

The return leg I'd recommend you head down the westerly route. This involves heading down to Ft William from Torridon via Invergarry. From Ft William you can head over by Glen Coe down to Crianlarich (there is another route via Oban) where you can a) continue down to Stirling and on to Glasgow b) head over via Loch Lomand and onto Glasgow.

I'd have a look on google maps or any map of scotland as the west coast has masses of roads that offer many different routes to the same destination. Trauling them in sunny weekends is a favourite pastime of mine.

When you are up in Torridon (brilliant part of Scotland) I would recommend for driving pleasure you head up to Ullapool and push north, brilliant roads and amazing scenery (Stack Polly mountain)

I'd also recommend going to Gairloch and heading north as well down by Loch Maree. The Loch Torridon Hotel has excellent food and is well recommended by me.

Last edited:

You want to look at a map. M6 to M73 to GLASGOW. Then be honest with yourself, would you really want to drive to inverness and across the from there when you look at the road.

Go through Glasgow on the M8 to Erskine bridge, up Loch Lomond, via Rest and be Thankful (A83), then as described here you can go to Inveraray and Dalmally (A819-A85), (glen orchy via the B8074 road) to the A82. This way to Fort william will take you past the most stunning scenery in the UK (Glencoe really can't be beaten by much anywhere).
This road A82 takes to Inverness, but I would head over the hills at Invergarry on the A87 to the A890-A896.

You will have travelled on some of Top Gears top 12 best roads in the UK this way.If you route via the A814 (*** terrortory) you will have driven on their number 1 best road.

Ignore those who say head to Inverness anyway other than the A82 but as *** points out, you can come back the way I suggest going. to be honest I would do the trip the other way round to what he says. [10th Edit]. Glencoe road is best driven down into Glencoe then up out of it. I would be surprised if you did not want to stop and look at it on the way. You could do as he suggests and head in the Oban Direction, but the road to Fort William, although good to drive, is not as scenic. And Oban really is 80miles from anywhere.

You need a convertable to really appreciate it IMHO. Or maybe one of them glass roofs.

In fact I would not do the A9 in a hurry. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. its too long a drive to be in a hurry

{I keep spelling Inveraray [Inverary] which will annoy the locals}

You will never leave.:devil:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom