New Years day is great for a run.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To give you an idea, The first services on the M73 from my home are 111miles the way I go, and around 2-2.20mins. If you go via Stirling, its 135miles and 2-2.20mins. You choose.

Very interesting Scumbag..........except, the M73 doesn't have any services.
Not sure which motorway services your example is referring to?

Russ

I am driving up to Scotland (Torridon Achnasheen) at the end of this month from Somerset.:

Hope you are planning on a stop over. You want to get to Glasgow or thereabout then have a night. You will still have around 150-200miles to go, but no point missing it be not being fresh.

Very interesting Scumbag..........except, the M73 doesn't have any services.
Not sure which motorway services your example is referring to?

Russ

Yes, I meant the M74, I am only on the M73 for one junction.

Typo, but I do get mixed up with them even now. I know the way so I don't tend to remember the road numbers.

I can't even remember the name of those services, Hamilton is on the other side, about 2 miles further on.

You want to look at a map. M6 to M73 to GLASGOW. Then be honest with yourself, would you really want to drive to inverness and across the from there when you look at the road.

Go through Glasgow on the M8 to Erskine bridge, up Loch Lomond, via Rest and be Thankful (A83), then as described here you can go to Inveraray and Dalmally (A819-A85), (glen orchy via the B8074 road) to the A82. This way to Fort william will take you past the most stunning scenery in the UK (Glencoe really can't be beaten by much anywhere).
This road A82 takes to Inverness, but I would head over the hills at Invergarry on the A87 to the A890-A896.

You will have travelled on some of Top Gears top 12 best roads in the UK this way.If you route via the A814 (*** terrortory) you will have driven on their number 1 best road.

Ignore those who say head to Inverness anyway other than the A82 but as *** points out, you can come back the way I suggest going. to be honest I would do the trip the other way round to what he says.

In fact I would not do the A9 in a hurry. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. its too long a drive to be in a hurry

{I keep spelling Inveraray [Inverary] which will annoy the locals}

You will never leave.:devil:

edit-do it both ways, forget the A9.

I am going to throw another Spanner into the works, not as good as the run you've mentioned but worth doing as you see the scenery change from west to cairncgorm. Once arrived @ Ft William head north, but take the turning for Lagan (A86) and head over to newtonmore and then up the A9 to Inverness. Slower yes, and probably not of use to the OP but an interesting alternative.

The A87 to Lochalsh is the fastest route up to Torridon going by the west coast.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant the M74, I am only on the M73 for one junction.

Typo, but I do get mixed up with them even now. I know the way so I don't tend to remember the road numbers.

I can't even remember the name of those services, Hamilton is on the other side, about 2 miles further on.

Bothwell?

Russ

Glen Coe is epic, but there is another way to Ft William thats underestimated. I'd head over to Dalmally as you say, then head uptowards connell on the A85, heading over the bridge and on route to Ft William. The scenery isn't as good, but the road has some nice sweeps and you get a good view of Ballahiulish.

The cycle path I mention goes along the old railway route to Ballachullish (How do you spell that place, never mind pronounce it). Connel Bridge is a pain tho. Nice airfield other side of it, that would be a great place to work, I should imagine, what with them right rubbish views it has.
I mean, imagine having this as your office view.
snow2.jpg

and here is the bridge in question
waverlyairfield008.jpg

edit-do it both ways, forget the A9.

The A87 to Lochalsh is the fastest route up to Torridon going by the west coast.

and also good for the views and driving. I have never done that other road, and it is on my list, I just turn left everytime I am in that neck of the woods

Scumbag, you're a lucky man. I have singer rail station as my view in Clydebank....

I've always had a soft spot for the view @ Connel bridge. I'd imagine the sea plane they run from Glasgow to Oban would be an event :D

Its threads like this which just want to make me go out and drive. And the A814 is good, but there is a special road from near finnart over Glen Douglas that emerges on the A82 @ the inverbeg pub thats better IMHO. Its a single track job but its ace

Its threads like this which just want to make me go out and drive. And the A814 is good, but there is a special road from near finnart over Glen Douglas that emerges on the A82 @ the inverbeg pub thats better IMHO. Its a single track job but its ace

I will be sending clouds of black smoke along one day this year I should imagine. Once I organise my days off.

Last edited:
i drove to Newcastle and back again on New Years day.

wasnt out of choice though but got a good run as the roads were clear

We went to Scunthorpe and back ... approx. 450 miles. Vito was filthy by the time we got home (due to all the salt/grit on the roads).

My new year started out with me on duty , out at a fire fatality late on Hogmanay ( 2nd incident of the day ) and then re-attending during daylight the following morning ( then a second incident that afternoon as well ). Not the way I would choose to see the new year in , but somebody has to do it .

Later that day , as some on here will know , I had to make an unplanned run down to Liverpool , where my mother-in-law had taken ill . So quite a lot of driving for me as well .

Further to some of the discussion re the scenic routes in Scotland , here are some pictures from our 'highland tour' earlier last year , which was out holiday not too far from home before our son was born .

We started off going up to Aberdeen and stayed with the in-laws before going across to Inverness for a night then down to Fort William ; we then spent the week in a hotel just outside Port Appin . The 190E 2.6 performed faultlessly throughout .

Firstly , Inverness Castle
IMGP6985.jpg

Jan , complete with 'bump' , in Fort William
IMGP7011.jpg

The view from the top of Aanoch Mor , just outsdide Fort William
IMGP7049.jpg

The 190 stopped just outside Fort William
IMGP7025.jpg

The view from our hotel room
IMGP7013.jpg

A small restaurant at Port Appin where the 190 found a couple of 'friends'
IMGP7071.jpg

The car park at Ardnamurchan point , the most westerly point on the UK mainland
IMGP7080.jpg

And the lighthouse , complete with foghorn
IMGP7087.jpg

On the way back from Ardnamurchan
IMGP7103.jpg

Castle Stalker , between Port Appin and Connel
IMGP7106.jpg

My daughter , Gill , at Ganavan Sands just outside Oban
IMGP7111.jpg

Finally , yours truly with 190 , by the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond
_IGP2098.jpg

On the subject of frost , we have had some up here lately .....
34IMGP7868.jpg

30IMGP7864.jpg

27IMGP7861.jpg

35IMGP7869.jpg

37IMGP7871.jpg

40IMGP7874.jpg

Some great photos !!

Ardnamurchan Point lighthouse , built by Alan Stevenson is the only 'Egyptian style' lighthouse in the UK ( i'm a bit of a lighthouse buff , me :eek: )

What was the name of the hotel , the view from the room looks wonderful !

Hi , thanks , it was the Hollytree Hotel

http://www.hollytreehotel.co.uk/

The hotel appeared to have been a railway station at one time , probably a casualty of Dr Beeching , and the route of the railway line is being turned into a cycle route now .

Here's a view of the hotel form the jetty .
IMGP7020.jpg

Presumably that boat is not meant to be like that ? :crazy:

I thought not myself .

druk is our expert on things nautical , perhaps he can advise ?

Hi , thanks , it was the Hollytree Hotel

http://www.hollytreehotel.co.uk/

The hotel appeared to have been a railway station at one time , probably a casualty of Dr Beeching , and the route of the railway line is being turned into a cycle route now .

Here's a view of the hotel form the jetty .
IMGP7020.jpg

I'm no matelot, but that boat looks a bit low in the water. I'm sure Howard will comfirm! :D

(Edit - Beat me!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom