New Years Eve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
This NYE is probably different for many of us Not meeting with friends of family or simply having a few beers.

What do you normally do on NYE? I’ll start us off.

If we weren’t in Tier 4 I’d spend the morning in the gym and pool followed by a couple of beers in the pub with some mates.
We normally go to a restaurant in the evening and then back hone for some Hootenany and watching the fireworks at midnight.

This will be the first time in many years that we haven't celebrated NYE in Yorkshire with my wife's oldest friends, their now adult children and many friends.

Normal drill would be:
  • Drive to Yorkshire, arriving mid-afternoon
  • Out for an early-evening curry
  • Drive back to village pub for a couple of beers, leaving car in car park
  • Walk around the village, taking in one or more of the house parties
  • Walk back to our friends' house for loud music, lots of booze, chit-chat and more food
  • See in New Year with rousing chorus of Auld Lang Syne
  • Conk out around 3am
  • Wake with hangover around midday
  • Go out for a bracing(!) walk
  • Take "hair of the dog", feel much better

Lazy day,early curry at our fave place return home, calls,messages to family etc and retire early, sometime woken by fireworks and watch from loft windows

Lazy day,early curry take out ordered yesterday from fave place,the calls,retire bit will be the same but not expecting the fireworks.

Many years ago we would have a few beers in our local, have a curry then wander down to the sea front to listen to the warship sirens and watch the search lights. Meet up with friends and have a few more beers.
Most of the warships disappeared and a shopping complex arrived along with a good fire work display so watched that instead....

this year, we are going to celebrate Christmas and NYE later so tonight it is stay at home 🙁

Usually a 6pm meal at our fav restaurant in Carlisle. Back home around 9pm for goodies, music, TV and the midnight bell.

Tonight we’re just exchanging the meal out for a home cooked one. Then normal service resumed. 🙏👍🥳👏

Other than the few times we’ve been overseas at this time of year, we spend the evening with our best friends - as we have done for more than 20 years. We alternate hosting duties between them and us, each time starting with drinks then a meal with more drinks then champagne to toast the new year. Occasionally we boost numbers with a few others being invited, but mostly it’s been just the four of us - well, 5 for the last 5 years!

The last couple of years we've seen NY in with some good friends at home. Last year was a right laugh as one of my mates is actually quite a handy DJ and he hooked his phone up to my hifi, stuck a DJ app on it and off we went.

This year was just us but as the kids are getting older it was a lot of fun. Me & the mrs drinking by the fire outside to start, curry delivered at 9.00, a bit more outdoor fire action then back in for the Hootenany bells with the kids. Cranked up the volume right up proceeded to dance round the living room till 1.30.

The last half an hour was spent looking for the cat. Turned out he'd escaped through an open window so we left him to it and went to bed at 2.00. Zzzzzzzzz.....

Today is a lazy day. Slow start. Will be calling various rellies then going out for a power walk round the local park. We've having late afternoon driveway drinks with the neighbours across the road then a nice home-cooked dinner. The chiminea will get fired up again later as I'm promised the kids they can do marshmallows. They want to do "smores" which involves making a biscuit sandwich with marshmallow & melted chocolate.

One thing I realised in lockdown is how close my little family bubble of four* is and how much fun we can have. So NY hasn't really felt like that much of a sacrafice really.

*well it's five, really. Bertie the cat reappeared at 10.30 this morning ecstatic to get back inside a warm house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom