New York, New York!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Suzy Cute and I off stateside end of September and intend to start off in New York for 3-5 days before flying to Boston and picking up a car to get to Washington DC via Atlantic City.

Hotel prices eye-watering but I am only looking at Times Square as my knowledge of NY is not great (I have been before but stayed in New Jersey) Any pointers re great location/prices? We will want to do the normal tourist stuff, neither of us into nightlife. Our preference when we visit cities is an apartment, but not sure how practical that is in NY. As always, budget important (just been told redundancy will happen July/August - company moving the whole department from Warrington to Stornoway. Yes, you read that right! :eek::crazy:)

Last edited:
Went to New York State once, during a tour from Canada to visit New England. Had hired an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, was on my own, in my early 20's, enjoying the V6 drive and made it as far as Albany on the I87 (coming south from Ottawa).

The State Trooper who finally caught me said my speed warranted a court appearance and would result in a severe penalty. He asked me when my flight back to the UK was, and offered me a choice. Attend court almost straight away, or he could delay it until after my return flight to the UK, meaning I could continue driving for the remaining week or so and come home and forget about it.

I chose the latter of course and high-tailed it back to Canada. Made sense at the time (well, it did to an idiot 20-something). Never been back to NY, would like to, but worried that my foolishness my still be waiting to trip me up.

So in answer to you question, Gollom, with my apologies for the self-centred ramble... sorry I don't know, so pease do tell how you get on. I can then enjoy NY vicariously

I'd guess Ground Zero would be a solemn must-do, and I was looking forward to seeing Central Park which should be nice that time of year.

Tim

Hojo's is always cheap and cheerful. I think there is one on 33rd.
As has been said it's hard to go wrong with a Marriott. The one one in times square is amazing.
There's also a Marriott in DC. Good and not hugely expensive.
If you're going to Atlantic City you can get free coach rides from the Jersey side , and a generous allowance of free chips - obviously they expect you to cover the costs with your gambling :)

And if you haven't been to Washington, It is fantastic. The Americans really know how to look after and show their national monuments.
But it can get a bit dodgy as you move away from the central areas.

Stayed in Hilton on 42 St a couple of years ago - great Location.
Staying in Marriott Times Sq next month for a week.

All the Hotels in Times Sq are obviously well located for other sights.
The Hotels are expensive when you consider the amount of time that you actually stay in them.
There are cheaper Hotels obviously but they tend to be further away from Times Sq.

Get a Red Bus tour ticket (hop on / hop off) - valid for 24 hrs or more. Great way to get around and see all the major sights.

I've stayed at the Edison Hotel, which is about 30 seconds from Times Square. Great location, with a bit of character, good breakfast and bar. Just a suggestion, but when you go the Empire State, I'd go late afternoon to see NY by day and night, catching the sunset.

The Marriott has been mentioned - is that the one with the revolving bar? A great place to sit and have a drink or two, watching Times Square and beyond revolve around you! Sorry to hear about the job.

@TDE1. Tim, I've rented a Cutlass Ciera before! Anyway, I was with a cousin and our wives in Florida once, where his older brother lives and was getting married. We were in a Pontiac Firebird when we got stopped by the State Trooper on the Turnpike for speeding. My cousin was driving and the fine never got paid. He has heard nothing since, despite regular visits back to his brother.

Yes, the Times Square Marriott has the revolving restaurant. It's almost like a hotel within a hotel (you'll get what I mean if you go there) - amazing

Edit: MD5 - you need to be careful with the state troopers. I've seen one on the turnpike walking to a car he had pulled over... with his hand on his holster. Scary!

Last edited:
I've stayed at the Edison Hotel, which is about 30 seconds from Times Square. Great location, with a bit of character, good breakfast and bar. Just a suggestion, but when you go the Empire State, I'd go late afternoon to see NY by day and night, catching the sunset.

I stayed at the Edison in 1977 when I backpacked round the NE states. Went back for a look recently and it didn't seem to have changed one bit. ;)

My tip is not to go for the Empire State but go Rockerfeller Center. From the ES you see Manhattan. From the RS you see Manhattan and the Empire State. And it's easier and there are much smaller queues.

My tip is to chat up a bird who works in Manhattan and get her to show you the sights. ;)

Mind you, that one was a long time ago :)

As they said, Rockefeller not Empire state

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Times Square when we went a few years ago. It was in a great location and was nice.

But if you do stay a bit further out, remember the public transport system works really well in particular the buses.

On our last day we got a 1 day bus ticket (think it was less than $7) and saw all the sights you would have seen on the tourist buses charging $50+

All the buses run in loops (either East to West or North to South) which makes it very easy to work out how to get to places.

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom