New York, New York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian_Mac

Somehow we started looking for a break in Iceland and ended up with 5 nights in New York instead. Neither of us have been to the States before so there's lots of online research going on in preparation.

Apart from the usual touristy type things are there any other "must do's" while we're there? Our hotel is described as Times Square (though I believe it's just off) so that will be the base for our explorations.

Battery Park, Liberty Island, 5th Avenue, Avenue of the Americas, Rockefeller centre, central park, Empire State building, Chrysler building. Hard Rock Café, Greenwich Village
Liddle Idaly, are just a few I've visited.
Never been to Ground Zero, but I suppose it must be on the agenda.
You will be surprised at the quality of the food from the street stalls - it really is very good.

Oh and take a taxi ride. Better than Oblivion at Alton Towers

You will be surprised how much time the tourist bits can take!

You used to be able to buy tickets for some tourist sites in the UK, this saves a lot of queuing at places like the Empire States Building, can sometimes work out cheaper as you are paying in the UK and do not have a currency conversion charge on your card.

I went expecting to dislike it, I came back loving it! We walked a great deal, including to some places that we should have been rather cautious of apparently! If you have time then see a show and, if it is the season, a baseball game!

Whatever, enjoy!

I have done all of the above, but without doubt, the BEST touristy thing I did was Circle Line 42 boat trip round Manhatten Isalnd, the full tour.

I saw more of Manhatten on that boat than everything else put together.

And because you have seats, its relaxing, they serve hot snacks and beer too. Really good commemtry throughout.

Second best was Keens Steakhouse.

Forget the Empire State. Do the Rockefeller but get advance tickets which saves a queue. From the Rock you get a good view of the Empire State.

A shorter boat ride is just to get the Staten island ferry from battery park to the island and back. Superb view of the Statue of Liberty.

Have a fun trip! I'll be there with work again for a couple of weeks next month and can't wait.

Go over Brooklyn bridge from Manhattan and at the end of the go back on yourself and head down right hand side of bridge towards the water (at then end is a viewing area looking back at Manhattan that's been used in lots of films) half way to water is a pizza place that had the best pizza I've ever had. Gets really busy though and you end up queueing.

Thanks folks. Has anyone bought theatre tickets from Times Sq on the day of the performance? Apparently you get quite a discount on the price, maybe I'm just cynical but I imagine being sat so far away you can't see the stage.

No, but be aware that 42nd street can be quite seedy.

Last edited:
Central Park - do the horse-drawn thing.
Food - too many great places to even list out, but be a tourist & go to the Carnegie Deli for salt beef or a Reuben's
Live music - Blue Note and the Village.
Culture - The Kennedy Centre takes some beating and MoMA is an essential.
Bars - the old-school Hotels all have great club bars and a Whisky Sour or an Old-Fashioned at the Algonquin is a real treat.
The list of trendy places changes by the hour - get TimeOut NYC.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

You can also visit an aircraft carrier and a submarine. I cant remember which pier though. I spent most of a day there. Also, keep in mind that a lot of places don't open until 9am.

Deadly Dave said:
You can also visit an aircraft carrier and a submarine. I cant remember which pier though. I spent most of a day there. Also, keep in mind that a lot of places don't open until 9am.

With my Mrs that won't be a problem! ;)

The other great thing about the Circle Line boat tour is that the accompanying commentary is usually by "resting" actors who are extremely knowledgeable about the best shows in town and terrific cheap restaurants.

You can also take a helicopter tour which is obviously much shorter but equally obviously very spectacular! Not very expensive either (or it wasn't the last time I was there).

I don't agree with forgoing the Empire State. The interior is simply wonderful.

Last edited:
I second the walk over Brooklyn Bridge but do it on a Sunday morning.Something quite eerie about the taxi ride on a quiet Manhatten Island. There is a cracking diner on Henry Street to the right when you come off the bridge. Full of locals (always a good sign - be prepared to queue) but old family run place.

Other than that - what people say above is all true!!
Walk a lot, see as much as you can
Don't be afraid to go to restaurant to just have dessert
Do a coffee and muffin breakfast sitting in Central Park (strangely quiet with the world going on around you!)
NY Rangers Ice Hockey at Madison Square Garden is pretty special if a bit pricey (I won against the wife who wanted to see the Lion King on Broadway!!)

Seriously love the place. The wife and i will be taking our son there as soon as he is old enough to enjoy it!! I could talk about it all day.....

Absolutely do the Empire State. I was there a year to the day after 9/11, and the thought of witnessing it from there made me shiver. I wish we'd gone closer to sunset to see the change in lighting, which must be spectacular.

If John Lennon means anything to you, Strawberry Fields is a very small memorial area allocated in Central Park, just opposite the Dakota Building, where he lived, and there is a hotel in Times Square with a revolving bar, but I can't remember its name.

If you are not planning on going to the Statue of Liberty, you can get a free ferry to Staten Island and back, which will take you close-ish to it.

No mention yet of Grand Central Station?

Have a great trip!

You can also visit an aircraft carrier and a submarine. I cant remember which pier though

It's the intrepid air/space museum, on the Hudson River. As long as it's still daylight it's worth walking back to Times Square through Hell's Kitchen.

I'd also recommend a helicopter tour of the city also.

Somehow we started looking for a break in Iceland and ended up with 5 nights in New York instead. Neither of us have been to the States before so there's lots of online research going on in preparation.

Apart from the usual touristy type things are there any other "must do's" while we're there? Our hotel is described as Times Square (though I believe it's just off) so that will be the base for our explorations.

I've been fortunate enough to visit, work and live in NY on and off for almost 20 years and there's nothing quite like it.

Here's a few screen grabs of some places you might want to go see, in no particular order (apart from Google maps, 1st):

1 - Start off by checking out Manhattan on Google maps 3D (this is a screen grab)

mVNxbIY6WT2_sqGgvc31VO48oSd8gF_qOWSEj5mzDiomqhhON4dUNg-ZA-74HpjNiT8mKg=w2536-h1219

2 - Yankees - amazing experience. Sit, shout at the food vendors walking the aisles and they'll bring you a dog and beer.

37uGdTN4KV_4Fw0pdxw5pA4lkdClwAqkqnZgVZ4P5jTIBfY8KMf2M8XAHY1csmqQG8oBdg=w2536-h1219

3. Guggenheim - beautiful building, great displays and home to more than the occasional movie scene

0UqN9zPVgSlL1JtGQ6g5vL3VZHpXCaKgrE__OdNfllVO1jATTsEgwTbogMlQTIrYaHoq3A=w2536-h1219

4. Naked cowboy, Times Square. He's been there for years. One for the better half.

ORkBw5RWGiLUWfmOz0wNy1XbOSdkep4IV1RqhErfde7zSZY12BNW9Ib0kG5cbJEp-R7HHQ=w2536-h1219

5. Good Morning America - go watch a live TV show and get yourself on camera (maybe..)

J2tfbShkWXZiqv7iINzRa11D82__zGsBubI8ANzVk22TlmRyOnQPt8BI2VhuCzPutTT06w=w2536-h1219

6. The best shops and dining experiences are, in my view, down in the Village:

5BYayDjV9msGBrAZJWrQEMxMJIHFKMcrEu3M814ho11cn3dmq3lNgun-rLdhATpqFrZEIA=w2536-h1219

7. The best way to see Brooklyn Bridge

P-up889FB0wyczfdyigq573HyroqRLrECT0wuJK7T8DdcxI-TPrOLkp3YB3fXJKYPdL3PA=w2536-h1219

8. Go see or participate in public Baseball and Softball games in Central Park on a Sunday morning. Amazingly civilised experience. In some respects more fun than seeing the Yankees

ON7TfTWfdplfBF5hD2hSXo3qCpboA6VAMVq-4GqssoDb4HeOMoh2rNFdUHYHW9Goa1mu_w=w2536-h1223

9. Grand Central, imo, second only to Helsinki Central.

dOKMG6vi8AZviRU4I3T0goEhsWWjoKsjq3jbdqVKb8__rtRpU512exOLFucvLLqNgfIA8g=w2536-h1219

10. If you are into theatre then go off the beaten track. Saw Brent Spinner here a few years back. Very close and intimate.

GJEVGL6en7qKk15v4Od5yJ7KcHOpxjVUL9FP6TzzvsDHpv3tKlJFnBaMn90nEA6rB2kjnw=w2536-h1223

11. The Flatiron. My view for many years. (If you sit in the park on 5th/Bway and w23rd where this was taken from, watch the squirrels. They mauled my friend's back a few years back, jumping on her from a tree)

bv-Mx-aBgiuz0Kd_HMlj3tO_yhfaoCpoN_AlliN3XuArXxiYDjNwf2pDCEgfFvtDwEX34Q=w2536-h1219

12. W Times Sq - My hotel of choice now I no longer have an apt there. Brilliant bar on the ground floor. Go on a workday and watch the locals get ratted on dirty martinis. Failing that, do it on the cheap in any Irish bar in mid town.

KxdGcfekpms9pDO558o8DSI5Cm_FMc4Oh8sPZD0V2lKM4YcvZHywQeuUAKMcZJLAQH6NQQ=w2536-h1219

13. The best place to see Manhattan is from NJ.

duk_MH1uc7E0irbqB9nynSjhUA5G1NR9Qc336TP9sKWUi3S61O1teAHCJ9eaVbuYipqoIw=w2536-h1219

14. And if you need a fix - Cooper Classic Cars in the Village (haven't been here for 4 or 5 years, so not sure what they have around ..)

nrqsRVUl0uaxX6iWC2V5LnOmLcS8jtqXYQR41hCpPfD-_Z7cWzvwhMDywfsn7uhDlG06Qw=w2536-h1241

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought of going there but you guys have made my mouth water!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom