newb to the site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrislawton

Car
w202 230k esprit mazda mx5 mk2 1.8 gsxr-1000
Hi all. Ive been lurking on this site for a while so i thought id introduce myself.
I live near exeter and have access to mb star if anyone local needs any diag done (free) :thumb:
I am a self employed mechanic and one of my customers recently emigrated so i bought his retro w202 c230k esprit. It looks like its had a fair bit of engine work done to it looking at the invoices. There is also a dyno print out @249bhp. It certainly feels quick!!
car was recently resprayed but the guy that owned it before me felt the need to put a huge bloody mercedes sticker down each side. Im worried if i start to peel it off even with a hairdryer it may take the paint with it:wallbash: any ideas???
Anyway...looks like a nice friendly and informative forum you guys have here!

Pity about the stickers but I would also be a bit worried about peeling them off, especially if they were applied shortly after a respray.

Welcome aboard.

Choose one end or a corner, and make a start on the sticker. I would think it would be become evident pretty quickly whether or not it will come off without bringing the paint. Good luck.

Obviously dependant upon the type of adhesive used to apply the stickers, but many years ago I had to hire a commercial vehicle for a week and they gave me the option of having it with or without signwriting. I said preferably without, thinking they had vehicles with and without their name on, however, upon this they promptly removed all their details from the sides and back of one with signwriting/lettering on, with a commercial steam cleaner (the type used for cleaning HGV chassis). Only took 10 minutes and no damage to the paintwork whatsoever.

Worth a try if you know of any local haulage firms or garages who would have one of these?
Bear in mind though, are they covering any nasty surprises?

Last edited:
Welcome :)

The other thing with the stickers is if you do remove them successfully there may be a colour difference in the paintwork beneath them due to UV light, etc.

You may want to prepare yourself for some 'Paint Correction' polishing?

Cheers,
Robert

Thanks for all the advice. I did think about using my steam cleaner at work but the only thing that puts me off is the fact that the paintwork is virtually new as was resprayed about 8 months ago. I suppose i could start at one corner and slowly try and remove one letter, but the first one may come off easyish and the rest might come apart in my hands or worst case pull off the paint....that would really spoil my day!! Im not too worried about if there is the outline once sticker is removed as im sure some g2 cutting compound and a mop would sort that out, its just having the balls to take off the first letter.....aaaaarrrggghhh why would you put stickers on in the first place????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom