Newbi to MB AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimGreen

Car
2012 Audi R8 V10 + 2017 Mini Cooper (John Cooper Works) + 2015 Honda Fireblade
Thought I'd better do the normal thing and introduce myself, just joined the forum to gain as much information as I can prior to purchasing a 2009/2010 C63 AMG.

I've enjoyed many high performance cars and also a bit of a concourse enthusiast, so my standards are high, some may recognise me from other forums.

I've come from quite a few car forums and find it the best way to gain knowledge and I've never owned a MB before.

Previous performance cars includes :

Sapphire Cosworth, purchased when it was one year old.
BMW M5 (E39)
TVR Tuscan
BMW M3 (E46)
Renault Clio V6 (Mid Engined)
Audi S4 (4.2 V8)

Thought I'd add a pic of each, just to brighten up the thread.......

And this is my toy :

I've spent the last few months getting ready to change cars and was fully committed to purchasing a 2008/2009 BMW M5, but within the last month I've suddenly started looking at the C63 AMG and I'm now leaning more to the C63 AMG. I know it's normally compared with the BMW M3 (E90), but I like the size of the car and it ticks all the boxes.

Been looking at low mileage 2008/2009 & 2010 (With higher mileages) cars around the £20k - £25k mark.

Looking forward to advice and joining you all shortly.

Jim

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Jim. Lots of knowledgeable C63 owners here. You'll find most questions can be answered.

Go for a facelift w204, more updated look and nicer interior (2000 differences from the prefacelift I think?) although they look exactly the same nearly

But then again, a C63 is a C63 no matter which version you buy you'll still get a jolt in the trouser area :thumb:

C63 was the closest in feel and fun factor to my old E39 M5 that's why I got one!

Hello and welcome

Not much to add I'm afraid beyond the tried and trusted buy the best you can afford.

Really wanted to say that I love that little Clio V6 ! Fantastic cars and definitely something I want to have in the garage when space, children and wife allow ;)

Jim. I recognise your e39:m5. I had one exactly the same colour a few years back and used to go on m5board a lot so may have seen it on there.
As far as advice, all I can say is my c63 is not a patch on my e39 m5. And that's the truth. The merc is obviously faster but maybe because its more refind I find it a bit boring. Just being honest. And I have had pretty much the same cars as you in the past. I had a 3 door cossie but of all the cars I've had the e39 m5 I had the most fun in.

Jim. I recognise your e39:m5. I had one exactly the same colour a few years back and used to go on m5board a lot so may have seen it on there.
As far as advice, all I can say is my c63 is not a patch on my e39 m5. And that's the truth. The merc is obviously faster but maybe because its more refind I find it a bit boring. Just being honest. And I have had pretty much the same cars as you in the past. I had a 3 door cossie but of all the cars I've had the e39 m5 I had the most fun in.

YES : I was on the M5 Board all the time I had the car, plus a few years after too, so that's probably where you recognise the car from, I'm known for constantly posting photos....LOL

Mmmm... Interesting comments about the comparison. I think the problem is that for anyone who never drove the E39 M5, it's hard to convey just how good they were, and still are.

I enjoy a car that you need to respect and have started to enjoy the torque of a big capacity V8. The E60 M5 (Which I've driven) really neets to be kept above 5k otherwise it just doesn't produce.

Last edited:
YES : I was on the M5 Board all the time I had the car, plus a few years after too, so that's probably where you recognise the car from.

Mmmm... Interesting comments about the comparison. I think the problem is that for anyone who never drove the E39 M5, it's hard to convey just how good they were, and still are.
I recognise the plate on it to. Do you remember someone on there a fair few years back that got there m5 confiscated on the way to let mans ? That was me :fail

I recognise the plate on it to. Do you remember someone on there a fair few years back that got there m5 confiscated on the way to let mans ? That was me :fail

No, I must have missed that, sounds intriguing though.... LOL

No, I must have missed that, sounds intriguing though.... LOL

Cut long story short. I got caught speeding on the A28 on way there and rather than give me the usual slap on the wrist and a small fine by the side of the road and letting me go, I got a slap on the wrist a 280 euro fine there and then and had the m5 confiscated for 3 months pending prosecution. On top of that I had to pay storage on it while it was out there, the cab to le mans from where I got pulled over cost me more than the fine and I still didn't know 3 months later when I had to go back over there for my court date if I was even going to get the car back. Not a cheap weekend.

On the other point. I had spent a lot of money on the m5 by the time it came to get rid. Headers, exhaust, map, Active autowerk cold air kit, massive 12 pot tarox bbk, short shift kit. God I miss a manual gearbox!! I was younger, done loads of track days in her. And done a fair few miles in her. Nowadays I'm lucky if I drive the merc twice a month with being busy with work and family.

Don't get me wrong. The c63 is a great car. The sound is something else. The power is great, doesn't look to bad and weather someone's a petrol head or not it still gets a fair few thumbs up. But I don't find it as fun as some of my previous cars.

Cut long story short. I got caught speeding on the A28 on way there and rather than give me the usual slap on the wrist and a small fine by the side of the road and letting me go, I got a slap on the wrist a 280 euro fine there and then and had the m5 confiscated for 3 months pending prosecution. On top of that I had to pay storage on it while it was out there, the cab to le mans from where I got pulled over cost me more than the fine and I still didn't know 3 months later when I had to go back over there for my court date if I was even going to get the car back. Not a cheap weekend.

On the other point. I had spent a lot of money on the m5 by the time it came to get rid. Headers, exhaust, map, Active autowerk cold air kit, massive 12 pot tarox bbk, short shift kit. God I miss a manual gearbox!! I was younger, done loads of track days in her. And done a fair few miles in her. Nowadays I'm lucky if I drive the merc twice a month with being busy with work and family.

Don't get me wrong. The c63 is a great car. The sound is something else. The power is great, doesn't look to bad and weather someone's a petrol head or not it still gets a fair few thumbs up. But I don't find it as fun as some of my previous cars.

Ohh.... That's a great story, but an expensive one I'm sure.

If I get the same enjoyment out of a C63 AMG, as I did with the M5, i'll be happy. Not too many four doors cars with close to 500bhp on the market, so hope a drive of one will prove better than the E60 M5, which I'd wanted for years, but was so let down by the SMG Transmission.

If I get the same enjoyment out of a C63 AMG, as I did with the M5, i'll be happy. Not too many four doors cars with close to 500bhp on the market, so hope a drive of one will prove better than the E60 M5, which I'd wanted for years, but was so let down by the SMG Transmission.

If you was disappointed with the bm transmission your not gonna like the merc's. Think that's the worst thing about them. Lol I'm not really selling this well am I.

Welcome to the forum.

Still have a soft spot for Cossies although I doubt I will ever have one now.

Estoril is still the best M colour although I preferred it when you could only get it on the E36 Evo which it only came on once upon a time.

Felt a bit more exclusive driving round in it!

I can't comment on the C63 but I love the auto in my E55. I took it to an airfield with a professional racing driver last Summer and you can get the car around fine with an auto.

For real fast track driving, I would probably prefer a manual but as a day to day road car - it works well.

Good luck with the purchase!

Felstmiester said:
If you was disappointed with the bm transmission your not gonna like the merc's. Think that's the worst thing about them. Lol I'm not really selling this well am I.

Sounds like a happy owner, why don't you sell the c63 and jump in a BMW?

I had an E39 M5 for a few years. Purchased an E60 as I had always hankered for the next natural step. I had the E60 hated it and went back to a E39.

It was a big decision to get rid of it. I'm so glad I decided on the E55K, it is such a good all round car. Auto has been a pleasant surprise and I'm not sure I could go back to a manual for everyday driving.

Sounds like a happy owner, why don't you sell the c63 and jump in a BMW?

I don't think it's a case of wanting a bmw. It's more the fact I don't drive the c63 enough to appreciate it. I may jump in it a hand full of times a month to do a 20 mile round trip to drop one of the kids off somewhere. Other than that I rack up all the miles I do in my van when working.

Think the longest trip iv done in the c63 is a trip from hertfordshire to the new forest witch I enjoyed the drive. Back in the day when I had the m5 and had more time and money me and the Mrs would take a drive over to the south of France, or Lake District. Good driving memories.

Welcome to the Forum!

Not much of an expert on the 63 but i've just came back from the shop and was parked next to a C63, i waited in the car for 5 minutes before it drove off with my tail tucked between my legs once i heard the roar from startup.

If the drive is anything like the sound it must be amazing!

Not many near 500bhp four door saloons to chose from, so the decision will be between the E60 M5 and C63 AMG.

Just need to find a nice example and compare the drive against the experience I had with the E60 M5.

Decisions Decisions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom