Newbie 15 yr old CLK 200 cab komp (w208.4)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falcon45

Car
2011 - E250 CDI AMG Line Sports Cabriolet (A207)
Hi there....

I have used this forum for several years now but never registered 'til this year and only recently posted.

I have owned my CLK 200 Cabriolet KOMP for about 11 years now and it was about 4 years old when bought. The 46k miles has now risen to 76k miles...so as you can see that is low mileage but a lot of experience fixing MB design faults and learning about CAN BUS and the multitude of limit switch on the Soft Top so I hope I can now contribute as well as feed here....

Problems solved so far:

1. Reluctors - MB stealership wanted £1,500 to remove rear axles and replace rear reluctors, between EBAY (reluctors £10) and a local Indie (£270 for 4 1/2 hours labour) I saved about 1,200 here.

2. Window Wiper - plastic cog in motor gave out and wipers worked and skipped intermittently. Again £450 at the stealership for a new wiper motor. I removed the plastic cog and had a new steel one made to exact same specs for £40....no toruble since.

3. Window Screen water run-off reservoir blocked and overflowed into heater blower with capacitor stuffed. Stealership £350...Irish U-tube video showed how to unblock reservoir but and Ebay £40 got me a new capacitor.

4. The old Cam Shaft Oil Leak Problem (this is a free recall in the US). It causes oil to migrate into the wiring loom potentially destroying your ECU and other electrical components...in my case the O2 sensors causing a short. Stealership wanted £30 to install the US free wiring fix, another £00 for the O2 sensor and £1,500 to replace the whole wiring loom. Local indie supplied the part for the wiring fix for free when he did the reluctors and I replaced the pre cat O2 sensors every 6-12 months for about 3 years (£200) until the loom was cleared. Fix alone prevents further damage.

5. Currently working on a soft top problem (see separate post) having just re-riveted Driver Window mechanism where the rivets sheared of due to a sticky window after another MB learner driver drove into me while waiting at some traffic lights about 8 years ago - his dad's insurance paid for the damage amounting to £8,500 body work and £3,000 8 weeks car hire (????), despite me offering to take a cheque for £10,000 which would have bought me a 1 year younger model at the time of the damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom