Newbie 1997 sl 280 purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cockyapple

Car
2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Hello,

Just joined this forum and need some of your great help and experience

Thinking of purchasing one of these as a weekend toy.......any advice ...pitfalls.....things to watch out for greatly received

do they all come with a hard top option....if it didnt have one would that be a deal breaker or haggling tool....also serviced once every 12,000 miles i presume.....any cam belts or timing belts due around 60,000 miles

the only thing that really concerns me is if the folding roof goes wrong in the future.....what is the worst case senario that can happen and what costs are involved.....am i correct that the roof has 12 hydralic pumps that can leak over time......replacement costs are ?????

sorry if i sound like a doom monger but need to know the full picture

steve

/

i assume you are talking about the 1991-2002 model?

280 is the basic engine, very underpowered.. try and go for the 320 at least.

There is one pump for the roof.. yes if it fails then its expensive but generally they are solid.

The hard top came as standard so every car should have one.

No timing belts on any mercedes!

Why a 280 if it's a toy? The SL500 is not much dearer and will probably have a much better spec.
They all came with a hard top originally but some people only use the cars in the summer so sell the hard top to save storing it. They're fairly cheap on e-bay. A panoramic (glass) hard top is worth every penny.
There's no cambelt and the timing chain will never need changing on a lightly used SL.
The pumps don't tend go but the soft top ECU is easily damaged (eg by jump starting). They are about £1000 to replace. Just make sure the roof works when you buy it and don't ever jump start it.
So, buy a post 1996 (with the round seats) SL500 and enjoy.:)

Thanks for the quick response chaps.......as regards the 280 perhaps being underpowered all im looking for is a comfortable car to whaft around in at a weekend with the top down.....if i need my teeth rattled and shaken i have a 911(964) that can come out to play if needed :)

is the 280 definately a no no :confused: :confused:

steve

for the difference in money get the better specced 500. Lovely cars in general though

..as regards the 280 perhaps being underpowered all im looking for is a comfortable car to whaft around in at a weekend with the top down...
The SL500 is comfortable and whafty with a lovely V8 burble. The SL280 is buzzy and underpowered yet costs about the same to buy.

What they said :)

Be aware that a pre-98 car should have been serviced every 12 months even if low mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom