Newbie after a W211 E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsmatharu

Car
Golf Mk4 TDI
Hi all,

Currently I still own my first car, a MK4 Golf TDI, as a daily driver and I’ve been looking for something a bit more exciting to have along side it. I’ve always loved Mercedes since I was a young and the e55 was a model that caught my attention early on. I thought this to be a worthy contender as they are exceptional value for money, especially now you can pick them up for ~£10k

I’ve recently joined as I’m currently in a position to buy. I’ve had a look everywhere online (autotrader, eBay, gumtree etc) but with limited cars up for sale I thought the best place to ask would be the Mercedes community!

I'm after an obsidian black saloon which hasn’t been messed around with too much with good service history. Not too fussed about pan roof but it would be a nice touch. I know they are quite hard to come by, so if anyone knows of any for sale feel free to post them below!

Thanks guys!

Good luck in your search, They all tend to have a Hard life, at least all the examples i looked at had.

Buy with FSH and 2 keys, Along with lowest mileage your budget will allow, that would be my advise, They can be expensive when bits gone wrong.

Get a good one and they are a great car.

Hello and welcome to you.
Have a look on the classified add section of this forum, good luck with your search.

Thanks for the advice merc85. I’ve heard the v8’s are quite solid if looked after properly so regular oil changes and FSH should be sufficient?

Most I’ve come across have been around the 100k mile mark so I guess for their age that’s to be expected.

I have done some research, am I right in saying the main things to look out for are the air suspension, SBC, radiator/coolant issues, and gearbox fluid change.

Hello! Thank you I will check it out and see what I find :)

As merc85 has said, look for a full history and buy on condition. They are a great car but parts will wear, especially suspension parts/engine/gearbox mounts.
Check everything electrical works. Keyless door handles always fail at some point and at £150 a corner aren't a cheap fix unless they are removed and refurbished.

Have a read of this thread to see what to look out for. I found it very useful when I bought mine some 5 years ago. Best car I've ever owned.
W211 E55 - some essential questions

Generally solid cars, theres some rough ones out there uncared for and even one in need of an engine rebuild! most of the cared for examples stay with the owners for years. Good luck

Hi all,

I have just seen @JustIgnore ‘s E55 for sale in the classified section but have no way of contacting him as I’ve got a new account. Spec looks perfect but would like to ask him a few more questions. How can I go about contacting him?

Thanks

I've sent him a pm asking him to contact you.

"You may not start a conversation with rsmatharu because of his or her privacy settings."

Can't message you either. Feel free to drop me an email at [email protected]. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom