Newbie Assist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChadBoyracer

Car
C180 W202 and Merc 500k Rep.
Fellow Benzers.

I’m Chad. Based in South Africa. (+27713623559) “Whatsapp”
Owner of a W202 C180 and another collectible old lady.

I’m new to this environment so do advise if I’m on the wrong path or if another thread exists covering this topic or sort of repair.

My issue as follows: My W202 C180 “Slug”, only has one High Beam working when I turn the Light Switch Module to Parks or Low beam. Just one High Beam lamp comes on during any setting on the switch. My Stick Lever doesn’t allow me to Flash the high beam either. In fact using the stick to control lights have no effect what so ever lol. What would cause this? How do I fix it? I currently have no lights at all.

Second question.
Behind my Streering there are a bunch of wires. Included in this are two wires in inquiring about. Solid White and a Solid Yellow wire. What are they for?

These are the wires.

Attachments

• CF8B1249-8C2A-4389-860F-714997C620FD.jpeg
    CF8B1249-8C2A-4389-860F-714997C620FD.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 11
Sorry, Chad, can't help you with your problem,
but Welcome, anyway... :)

These are the wires.

Well, thats a mess!
Your Violet and yellow wire, and your what looks like black wire underneath, have had scotchlok connectors on them, maybe for an aftermarket stereo, or possibly a pair of spotlights? Whatever, get them insulated properly before you do anything else.
By properly, I would suggest that if you dont already have one, get a soldering iron, and learn how to solder, its not difficult.
When you can solder, snip these wires, and solder them back together, using shrink wrap.
I know its tempting to use insulating tape, but that dries out, then falls off.
The Solid yellow and solid white wires have those two brown wires spliced into them, I suggest you find out where they go to, and while you are at it, pull all that crappy insulating tape off (This is what insulating tape looks like when its old and knackered), and see what the joins look like, if they are soldered, then at least someone has taken a bit more time doing it than they did ripping those scotchloks off!!
If they are just twisted together, then fix it properly, unless those two brown wires dont go anywhere, in which case bin them and repair the yellow and white wires.
(Yes, you can use electrical connectors, but for a proper job that wont fall apart, you cant beat soldering).

That birds nest of wire looks like it is from the wiring loom cover, it looks like someone has been hunting for feeds for something, looking what a bodge has been made on this, and you saying that the lights dont work, it smells like spot/fog lights have been badly fitted, and a previous owner yanked them out without giving a sh1t about the next owner.
Have a look at the front of the car, are there any holes that dont look original?
Get rid of it all, trace where it goes to and snip it out, even if its just strengthening, it still looks metal, and can cut through the wire insulation causing a fire.

Tidying that lot up may well cure your lighting problem.
It would be difficult to find out what those wires actually do, unless you are an owner, or have had one, or have a lot more information, if you have ever seen
a Mercedes wiring diagram you would understand, you are better off using Egyptian Hieroglyphics, they would make more sense!
But thats where you should start, get that mess tidied up, have a look to see if there has been any other bodge work done, have a look see if spots/fogs have been fitted, then go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom