Newbie Benzie needs your views

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan67

Car
Hopefully...a red SL500
Hi everyone,

Just signed up and said my hellos', and so i'm now after a bit of down to earth advice.

I am going to look at a 1992(K) SL500 at the weekend that is described by the seller as 'mint' condition, having been stored in a heated garage for most of it's life. It has covered under under 100,000mls and is fitted with 18" AMG alloys.

But...and isn't there always one of those...the drivers seat fore & aft adjustment is intermittent, but does work if the switch is fiddled about with. As I understand, a switch can be had off fleabay for around £40-£70 notes, but how easy is it to swap them over?

The other thing is the soft top rear window has what the seller describes as a 'tiny split' in it. I have seen the posts on here regarding some excellent work done on replacing the window in England. Does anybody know of a company in Scotland that does this work to a similar standard?

Anyway, this car has got a hold of my heart at the moment, and so i'm hoping for some honest opinions on whether this car sounds overpriced, and any advice at all on the other points is gratefully accepted.

Cheers
Alan67

Cant really help that much tbh, other than listen for a short rattle when 1st started from cold, could be a worn timing chain/chain guide i believe these can be worn at 100k.

Im sure someone will be along shortly who can help more ;)

Oh dear...rattly chains..and just after halloween too! I thought I was bullet proof in the timing chain area, having read that they were good for the life of the engine? Is this year different?

Ok, thanks, That does make perfect sense.

Hi Alan and Welcome to the fold, I may of missed it but how much is the car going for and is there any room for negotiation if tere is voice your worries about the work required and only use your head not your heart good luck and post some photos

Hi dhk284, thanks for the reply. Not easy thinking with your head when looking at such a gorgeous car. Belongs to a friend of a friend of a friend if you like. He wanted £8,000 for it, but I got him down to £7,400. Still sound a lot, or would that be ok for a really good example?

SL500binacle_zpsd00d1d69.gif

Looking at this pic, does the oil pressure look a bit suspect? 1992(K) SL500 with under 100,000mls.

Have you done a tour around the internet just to see what others are going for thats what I did and some of those cars have warranties let me know how you do and stick some photos up and yes the oil pressure does look low

The switch pack is easy to change, the panel pops out rear first, undo the connector and remove fasteners to separate switch pack from panel

Oil pressure looks passable for an M119 at hot temp, idling under no load. Wouldn't want to see it any lower than that though, and the slightest throttle should see it scoot round to max though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom