Newbie CL55 AMG owner! : )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topgun1978

Car
07 Merc CL500 (W216)
Hi all - just thought I would say a quick hi to everyone on the board after my recent purchase of a MY-00 CL55 AMG. Previously had a CL500 before and always missed the luxury and refinement, so got a good deal on this one. :D

Hope to contribute as much as i can!!

Cheers.. :rock:

PS. actually signed up a while ago when I had my old Merc but glad to be back!!

Last edited:
Hi all - just thought I would say a quick hi to everyone on the board after my recent purchase of a MY-00 CL55 AMG. Previously had a CL500 before and always missed the luxury and refinement, so got a good deal on this one. :D

welcome, sounds like a great purchase by a real enthusiast judging by your previous rides

I'd be interested in hearing any comparisons between the CL500 and the CL55. As a CL500 owner I had the chance to drive a CL65 and didn't like it. Although the extra power was nice and the 7 speed gearbox gave better fuel economy, I found the CL65 a little too nose heavy and the neutrality of the CL500's steering was compromised as a result.

The CL55 therefore seems to me to be the optimal path, if I can find a decent example in a dark colour but I'd appreciate any feedback from someone who has owned and driven both. Fuel economy, acceleration, handling are the main things I'm interested in I guess.

Hi Roger - had an 05 CL500 and now have a facelifted 03 CL55k. 500 had the 7speed box which was very nice for fuel economy, I could get around 32 - 35 on a 70mph motorway run with cruise on, 25 ish overall. 55 gives around 27 at the same speed and around 18-20 overall. On that basis the 55 costs £500 more to run averaging 10k per annum. I wouldn't go back to a CL500 I'm afraid. The 55 is such a joy to drive and the noise is worth an extra £500 every day ! I also think that AMG cars will hold their value more than non AMG, therefore what you lose on fuel you probably save on depreciation.

Getting a nice one isn't difficult, getting it in obsidian black and a kompressor is ! The majority on ebay are silver and whilst they're the same car, don't have the same road presence IMHO. Insurance was actually £200 cheaper for the 55 with me and SWMBO on (£440 Adrian Flux).

Hope that helps

Jonny

Are you me in disguise ?! My last two cars were Maserati 4200, then CL500, now CL55 :eek:

Hi Roger - had an 05 CL500 and now have a facelifted 03 CL55k. 500 had the 7speed box which was very nice for fuel economy, I could get around 32 - 35 on a 70mph motorway run with cruise on, 25 ish overall. 55 gives around 27 at the same speed and around 18-20 overall. On that basis the 55 costs £500 more to run averaging 10k per annum. I wouldn't go back to a CL500 I'm afraid. The 55 is such a joy to drive and the noise is worth an extra £500 every day ! I also think that AMG cars will hold their value more than non AMG, therefore what you lose on fuel you probably save on depreciation.

Getting a nice one isn't difficult, getting it in obsidian black and a kompressor is ! The majority on ebay are silver and whilst they're the same car, don't have the same road presence IMHO. Insurance was actually £200 cheaper for the 55 with me and SWMBO on (£440 Adrian Flux).

Hope that helps

Jonny

Thanks Jonny, that's very helpful. As my CL500 is 5 speed and the figures you quoted for the CL55 are the same as I currently achieve for the CL500 it doesn't sound as if I'd suffer at all.

I agree with you on silver. Although the CL500 first caught my eye in silver it is the dark colours that give it the perfect, discreet, road presence IMO. My CL500 is Almandine black, which was discontinued after 2003 but Obsidian Black would be nice. I take your point about AMG and depreciation too, although I'd probably debadge it as I'm not fond of the AMG badging, finding it a bit heavy for my taste.

Welcome and congrats on the latest purchase.:thumb:

Post some pics when you can. :)

Enjoy the car!

Yes welcome, enjoy.

+1 pics!!

Pictures please.
c.

:DHaha JohnnyCJ... we could be long lost twins!:bannana:

I am a real enthusiast and love my cars but getting to that age when I`m starting to go for the comfort and luxury cars rather than the hard riding sports cars..... but I might have a change of heart soon ;-)

I have a 2000 CL55, so pre-facelift and without the quad exhaust etc, as I`m on a bit of a budget and got a good deal, but I haven`t really taken it to it's full potential yet as I`ve hardly driven it since last week as it is a recent purchase, but only real difference so far is the performance as it is obviously a bit quicker than a standard CL500. Agree with the comments that the AMG versions will hold their value better and will be the biggest selling point if you come to part with her. Plus I like the feeling that I`m driving an AMG car ![which was worth 100k when new!! ;)]

I was looking for a Black CL, but I did really like the look of this one i bought even if it is the usual colour..... but you don`t see that many CL's around where i live and work so it is all good... :) Only options I would have liked were the party piece linguatronic, distronic and possibly the fridge! LOL! :p But already thinking of mods like smoking my 19inch AMGs in a charcoal colour...lol!

Will post pics soon! :D

I was looking for a Black CL, but I did really like the look of this one i bought even if it is the usual colour..... but you don`t see that many CL's around where i live and work so it is all good... :) Only options I would have liked were the party piece linguatronic, distronic and possibly the fridge! LOL! :p But already thinking of mods like smoking my 19inch AMGs in a charcoal colour...lol!

Will post pics soon! :D

Oh - you don't have Linguatronic and Distronic ? surely you must have a fire extinguisher ?! :p

They are nice options, Linguatronic can be a right p in the a though.

"Dial name" "which name ?" "Work" "dialling Fred Smith"

Doesn't matter if you shout or swear etc. doesn't get you anywhere. SWMBO thinks it's hilarious !

Nb - anyone got a fridge going spare ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom