Newbie - CL55 vs CL600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scooby_doo_do

Car
Westfield
Hi All,

I'm currently looking at both a CL55 AMG (2000 and 2002) and a CL600 Bi-Turbo (2002).. I haven't quite made my mind up on which car i'd like so i'm going to take a look at them all.

The CL55's have done relativly low mileage (55k) but require "tidying", and the CL600 is just going through 100k so has higher mileage.

Just wondering if there's anything particular i should be looking out for when looking at buying them? (I gather the suspension can be troublesome on some models, as can the electrics?). Do they have cambelts or chains? and when is the A service / B Service intervals.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am more than likely wrong, but I THINK the biturbo V12 came out in 2003.
I can't comment on the AMG as I have the biturbo, great car, better purchased from a dealer with tier 1 warranty. Both cars can be very expensive to own and service correctly.
Again, I think the biturbo has a camchain. Services (on my 2005) are indicated as required or every two years. I get 20.1 MPG out of mine. Have fun.

Last edited:
dont be frightenend of the cl600 with 100k, but be frightenend if its got 100k and no bills for any ABC work or coil packs as it will be coming to the owner in probably the not too distant future.

I hope WoodyTheWise finds this thread. He has a low mileage CL600 that truly is the mutt's nuts and I know it represented a true bargain.

( EDIT : I'm a muppet )

Put it this way, I'd have it in a heartbeat - and I haven't driven it.

(Edit : Not so much of a muppet now :) )

There are gems out there - take your time and get something spectacular as few people want to buy a big engined car now.

Last edited:
I have recently been in the market for a W215 CL and ended up with a CL600. A CL55K was high on my list but I just *had to* experience the V12TT! I've been looking for the right one for a good number of weeks and some here for a good few months, and my only advice is to go and see as many cars as you can. There are missing services, patchy and no history cars, all sorts. The price and description doesn't always reflect that. One would imagine that the cars, being in excess of £100 grand new especially as complex as the CL, should be serviced regardless of any costs but it ain't so!

As you probably know these have sensitive suspension and if neglected it can cost a fair chunk of money to repair. I personally would look for a mid-mileage car that has been driven, 'cos that's what this suspension seems to like, and with consistent FMBSH *only*.

A few days ago there was a stunning 52k 2004 CL600 in black for sale @ Car Giant for a mere £10k but it turned out the car has only had 4 service records in 8 years with first two being 7k miles and a year apart, followed by only two services in seven (7) years and 40k miles. Although it was sold rather quick, I guess you don't want that!

Also pay attention to the cars' styling. Some have a mixture of AMG and Mercedes bumpers that most probably have been wrongly replaced following an accident of some sort. There are at least two 600 on AT that have wrong bumpers.

Although not a direct indication but if suspension leaks the car will drop on one or both sides after sitting for a while, depending how long they had it for sale for (hours, days, weeks). Its worth looking underneath the car to see if there are any puddles or greasy spots. Some cars out there are for sale for as long as 18 months and counting!

My advice is to get it inspected before you buy it. There are many very used CL's out there that are going to cost you alot.

All the above . There is nothing more expensive than a cheap V12 Mercedes.

Although not a direct indication but if suspension leaks the car will drop on one or both sides after sitting for a while, depending how long they had it for sale for (hours, days, weeks).

That may just be the Airmatic pump on it's way out.

Also, from my own experience do get the service history checked at a dealer (they are held on computer) as some low lifes do put fake stamps in them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom